What counts as a lucid dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

What counts as a lucid dream?

Postby artic65 » 03 Apr 2013 02:18

A few weeks ago I had a dream where I was in a house with my family. The dream was not lucid, but this is where it gets complicated. In the the dream I went to bed and woke up on a beach. Then I realized I was dreaming. Since I knew what lucid dreaming was, I tried to change the landscape. I turned the huge Sunset into a huge blue moon. I wanted to turn the waves peaceful but when I did it suddenly the moon revertebrated back to sun, as if I didnt have enough strenght to handle them both at the same time. Then I woke up, back in the other dream. But I fell asleep again and ended up back in the beach. I thought since this was a dream, the people I saw were probably people I had seen in real life. When I woke up for real, I realized I had a lucid dream inside a non lucid dream. Is that even possible? And about the strenght, I thought you had illimited. Can someone please explain?

Re: What counts as a lucid dream?

Postby tea » 03 Apr 2013 10:11

of course a dream within a dream is possible! i find it funny that you realized you're dreaming in the second deam but not the first :D

nice report!

and that "control" thing is pretty interesting: of course you can have unlimited control - it's all inside your head.
but it's a little tricky: as i've said before (in your other post) the borders of control are foggy. what i mean is that you have to work your way up to absolute control (as rebecca says "in baby steps").

lucid dreaming is all about patient training (and fun).
there is enough to see, do and learn even in dreams where you have little to no control, so don't worry if you have to start with small steps.

i've made a list of dream-goals and i categorized them into difficulty-levels (as i see them). i'm sure you'll find things that are interesting to you and you can do in your next lucid dream.
here is the link to the thread where i posted the list (right on the first page, scroll down a bit):

hope this helped!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 23:26

Sounds like you dreamed you were lucid dreaming.

Usually the defination of a LD is just being aware you are dreaming..but as in your dream you kept waking up and not realising you were dreaming at all but still in the same dream flow before keeping going back to the other scene. it sounds as if you were just "dreaming" you were lucid dreaming.

What you choose to call this dream is up to you. If I had it I probably wouldnt call it a LD but rather a dream that I was LD.

:D Yeah things can get confusing.

I wanted to turn the waves peaceful but when I did it suddenly the moon revertebrated back to sun, as if I didnt have enough strenght to handle them both at the same time.

All symbolic for what things are like in your real life. The dream seems to represent that you have doubts in your own power and abilities or these doubts could be around your own abilities with the LD things eg you may of been wondering "will I be able to successfully control my LDs?" and wondering about that.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Postby LucidLeon » 28 Apr 2013 15:39

I can relate to both "not having enough strenght" to maintain a change you made to your dreamscape, and dreams within dreams:

Once I transformed my neighbour's garden into a beach, but then I started talking to a DC and focused on that instead, and when I looked back it had changed back to the way it looks in real life.

And I also had a dream where I was with a group of people and we were going to bed, and one of them set an alarm clock. I "fell asleep" and became lucid, but when the alarm clock woke me up into the first dream, I didn't realise I was still dreaming. x)

To answer your questions, what you're experiencing is normal. You can work your way up to unlimited power in lucid dreams, but it will take a lot of work. I think they key is focus and mental discipline. Since our minds are often more hazy in dreams than in real life it's pretty hard to not let your mind drift, but practice makes perfect. :) I think that getting good at meditating is crucial if you want to achieve unlimited control - meditating is al about focus and mental discipline!

Postby Summerlander » 28 Apr 2013 19:14

I'd also like to reiterate something I've said before. Doubt can cause mental barriers. You need to believe that you can do anything in a lucid dream. Our case scenario really is like Neo's in the matrix. Believe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”