Long Term Memory and Lucid Dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Everiste

Re: Long Term Memory and Lucid Dreaming

Postby Everiste » 28 Apr 2013 16:08

Hi,

I have lucid dreams on a regular basis, and have never suffered a memory crisis. I do not believe that this need be a concern. If one of the functions of dreaming (be it REM, NREM or some other state) is to consolidate memory, then, in my opinion lucid dreaming has no impact on this function. I do believe that lucid dreaming is a separate state, and has a specific purpose. Our subconscious goes to great lengths to inform us of our sleeping state by providing a multitude of clues within the dream to enable us to take control of the dream. I have experienced dreams where my 'sub' has provided clue after clue, in very imaginative ways, to let me know that I am dreaming, and I have not recognised them (I think this is because I have been too caught up in solving the specific problem presented at this point in the dream). In point of fact my 'sub' takes memory artifacts (either simple or elaborate symbols) from my waking-life to inform me that I am indeed dreaming. None of this has ever had a detrimental impact on my memory consolidation, as far as I am aware.

Live long and Prosper.

Everiste.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”