Things the Brain Makes Up

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Notoriou

Things the Brain Makes Up

Postby Notoriou » 29 Apr 2013 09:00

So this morning I woke up and decided I really didn't want to get up yet, so I rolled over and fell back asleep. Now I don't remember any part of the dream other than the end. And that's what has sparked my interest. I've read articles or heard people say multiple times that you can only dream of what you know, and that even seemingly random faces are actually just bits and pieces of faces you've seen... And so, when I woke up for the second time this morning I was quite fascinated by the fact that just before I had woken up, I was kissing someone, and by kissing, I mean kissing, not just a peck... The strangest part is, I've never done anything remotely close to kissing someone at all.

There are some other minor details, like I didn't actually recognize the fact that I was dreaming, but still made the conscious decision to kiss this person. All I can remember from the dream is that I was being approached by someone who was trying to get me to kiss this other person, and I really didn't want to, then I had the sudden realization that this would be a good time to try kissing in a dream(although I completely missed the fact that I was dreaming and just kind of took control). And so I ended up kissing this person for a few seconds before I woke up. So now I'm wondering what my brain was using to "simulate" the feeling. Any theories?

Summerlander

Re: Things the Brain Makes Up

Postby Summerlander » 29 Apr 2013 09:27

The brain can always imagine what it's like until a real experience updates that feeling. The brain can also produce flying pigs with feathery wings in dreams, and, despite the realism of such sight, there is no such thing.

The brain can far exceed what we have already experienced and made sense of in the waking state because the mind also has an abstract side that can go beyong logic and reason. The world of dreams is an unconstrained world. If you request to experience something in a lucid dream that you haven't experienced before in waking life, your brain will come up with possibilities of what it could be like. In other words, based on the info it has gathered so far, it can proliferate pretty convincing theories of its own.

At least that's my theory.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Apr 2013 04:13

Your post reminded me of something which happened to me about 9 years ago. I was having an online relationship with a guy from overseas and one night dreamed making love to him. The interesting thing was when he came to Australia to visit me, it turned out his love making was the same as it was in that dream.. he held me in all the same ways with all the same kind of mannerisms, the way he kissed was even the same and more (I hadnt seen a naked photo of him but I saw him in that dream). Boyfriends all have their differences but he was the same as in the dream I had had. So I truely do believe I must of connected to him when I made love to him in that dream.

I've read articles or heard people say multiple times that you can only dream of what you know,

Many new scientific discoveries or theories have been made throu dreams... interestingly.. at times it has been the same new major discovery of different people in different parts of the world around the same time (before the discovery has been published). The only explaination I can come up for that is if some group consciousness was out there in the ethers (astral) .. waiting to be picked up by certain dreamers.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Apr 2013 09:15

I can come up with another explanation for when things are dreamt before being discovered. Our unconscious mind harbours enormous amounts of info and will make connections that the conscious mind would otherwise find unusual. While the conscious ego has a tendency to look at parts the unconscious reservoir looks at the whole and has the advantage of making quick calculations as data is absorbed. Something then makes sense of what is put together. The conflated mind elements then give rise to ideas and eureka moments. Brain processing creates new concepts from a mishmash of thoughts which may or may not be applicable to the external physical world.

It's no wonder then that Einstein's frontal part of the brain was found to be unusually developed and lo and behold, his grand theory of relativity was aided by 'revelations' during the dreaming process.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”