The law of attraction

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: The law of attraction

Postby Summerlander » 30 Apr 2013 11:28

Is this the same book that was advertised on the Oprah show? I find it highly dubious.

To be positive about your life and learn to grab opportunities is one thing that could get you ahead in life, although some things are still beyond your control and plans might not pan out.

But to invoke something through an unrecognised law that some claim to be a tool with which to manipulate cosmological events is entirely different. I'm pretty sure many victims of natural catastrophes were believers and that didn't save them. I'm sure millions of the victims' family members who were aggrieved were believers too. What happened there, one might ask?

Moreover, if the law of attraction makes any sense and can be set apart from crazy superstition, what would happen if everybody on Earth used it? It just seems to me that it can be proved as inefficient as praying (the latter having been scientifically tested in double-blind experiments with the pious).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 30 Apr 2013 13:17

Hi Summerlander. It is you who decides if the law of attraction is a stupid law, it's your choice. I'm not here to force everyone to believe in the law of attraction, but me i belive. For me life doesnt control me, its me who control life, im lucid in real life.

Summerlander believe in what you seem to be real ;) .
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 30 Apr 2013 13:57

taniaaust1 wrote:I was using this principle before "The Secret" came out. It does work for me and can work so powerfully it used to scare me at times. One thing thou I found very scary is often the things would end up coming to me in ways I wouldnt want.

eg I got a car (classic and in mint condition) .. car I'd been projecting out for (creating it by thinking I'd get one) given to me as a family member who suddenly thought he was going blind (it turned out he'd developed schizophrenia so thought he was never going to drive again. We didnt know that till after I already owned that car).

There was a ring I saw in a shop which I really liked but was too expensive.. later that day a stranger on the street tried to give me one looking exactly the same (this guy had the police after him and I think he was trying to get rid of the evidence of a thieft so I knocked it back..I thought it would be bad karma to take a stolen item but it was so tempting.. I almost did take it seeing it was what I'd been manifesting so it did made me wonder if I was supposed to have it). I ended up becoming quite paranoid for quite a while as it seemed that most of the things I was manifesting were coming to me in undesired ways.

There was also the uncanny thing when I first started using manifesting the things I wanted.. that I'd manifest 3 of the item often coming to me. I manifested my DVD player, I manifested my surf board (not just any surf board..mine is pink and yellow.. so girly and is called "dream weaver"!! (that manifestation has quite a weird story behind it), I manifested 3 TVs etc etc.

The most awesome thing I did with this is I decided to do a challenge doing this (this was after "the secret" came out and I'd been doing this for many years so wanted to experiement with it further). I'd read about high up spiritual people eg some yogis being able to just manifest ALL their needs.

So I decided to travel interstate taking no money with me, not even for a bus ticket once I was there and having no where to stay etc etc, with goal to just manifest my needs like the powerful yogis do. I wanted this spiritual test. I actually did it quite successfully :D

I manifested a free hotel room, free gormet meals and another extremely nice place to stay for the rest of my time and I even come home with gifts (several CDs I'd wanted), I also got a free taxi in the 4 days I was away. I was actually knocking back stuff on that trip (that is where the ring thing also happened.. and I also was offered an envelope full of money of an amount I didnt know, if I'd wanted it.. it may of been a huge amount (one of my spiritual teachers interstate offered it to the class..asking if anyone was in need of money they could put up their hand and take it) but I was thinking I was "abundant" and had no need for money so I didnt put up my hand thou I had none (so another class member got all the money.. maybe thou that teacher had wanted me to have it? or maybe he was testing me? He's telepathic so I guess he would of known that I didnt have anything).

*Note on that trip not once did I ask for anything or beg, everything given to me was giving to me via complete strangers... people on the street etc eg.. at the train station I guy starts chatting to me and in general chat to me asks "where are you going?" so I told him and he goes... oh im heading out that way too.. you can share my taxi? Then while we are in the taxi he goes.. were are you staying tonight. I go "I dont know yet" he goes, "Ive booked a hotel room but have only booked it for a quick nap for a couple of hours thou Its booked all night.. you can have it". etc etc.. My whole trip was went like this with people.

I didnt even share my hard up story of.. I have no money so have to manifest all my needs.

So yeah.. that stuff really works! I only do that stuff if I really have to thou...(as I wonder if I use my good karma by doing it.. and I'd rather just build that up.. but then maybe that in itself is a belief which is wrong but I dont want to risk it).

This was a good post, I always enjoy reading from one from you but this was an excellent. For anyone who doubts this, je je makes a good point. The people who truly want and need something, they get it because they manifest into reality, not because of "luck".

There are tons of people, talented ones at that, singing on youtube. But something made Usher see Justin's videos, and SOMETHING made Usher give Justin beiber a music career, which ends up exploding and making him like the richest and most loved dude ever.

Plus, there are thousands of stories, of people who wanted something soooo bad, that they actually got it through a series of "miracles".

We humans have limitless potential and nothing is impossible ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Apr 2013 14:51

Limitless potential and nothing is impossible? Could Michael Jackson (who was rich, famous and successful) prevent his child molestation allegations and the stress he went through in court? Could he have prevented his untimely death right before a major show? And what about Justin Bieber attracting bad publicity? Does he also know "the secret"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22146859

If success does not happen by chance (luck), practical effort, or nabbed opportunities then why not use the law of attraction to win the lottery? Oh, wait! Everyone could use the secret and tap into their unlimited powers to win but it is only possible for a few to have the winning numbers... hmmm... :?

Now read this very carefully...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/philip-hensher/we-cant-choose-who-wins-the-lottery-6163923.html

I take it that the criminal in question must have wanted to win so badly, more so than his previous desire to evade adjudication...

And while some who get lucky and claim that they used the law of attraction, you will never hear from those who were not so lucky but were believers too. If you do hear from them the explanation must be that they were not doing it properly.

It seems like this "secret" is no longer a secret either. It also seems like the author of said book has sold a convenient and deliberately intriguing interpretation as a pseudo-explanation for other people's successes and fortunate events. Why can't "The Secret" be just another fancy way of looking at things that someone had the gall to sell?

In a world where anything can happen beyond our control, there are those who sell and provide the gullible with what they'd like to hear: something for them to make sense out of the tragedy and successes of others and something wonderful to believe in.

"Look guys, those people made it because they believe in magic..."
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 30 Apr 2013 15:59

You keep trying to make this law into some kind of "get out of jail free card", but it is not that. You take it way out of context, it is not some all powerful ability humans have to cheat death, win lotteries, and get out of situations we put ourselves into.
You don't understand it enough to even criticize it.

A basic explanation for you to criticize would be: The law of attraction basically is that, whatever you think about, you attract to you. Think about a car long enough, and you'll get that car.

Now please take that statement for what it is, and stop making the law of attraction to be some fantastical ability that can not only tell us we are about to die, but stop it from happening. It also doesn't psychically tell us what lottery numbers to play. And it doesn't magically stop is from getting bad press. All your examples are unachievable by the means of these of attraction, true. But there is much achievable by the law of attraction.

I would even love to hear criticism from a smart skeptic such as yourself, but you have to actually criticize the law of attraction for what it is, as opposed to what it isn't.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Apr 2013 17:51

I would even love to hear criticism from a smart skeptic such as yourself, but you have to actually criticize the law of attraction for what it is, as opposed to what it isn't.

Okay.

A basic explanation for you to criticize would be: The law of attraction basically is that, whatever you think about, you attract to you. Think about a car long enough, and you'll get that car.

Now that you have asked me to take the statement above for what it is, I have and it still seems dubious to me. If the "basic" of an idea is flawed, then the idea itself is not worth pursuing.

Think about the case of Elizabeth Fritzl, who was held captive by her father and was beaten, abused and raped for over 20 years. During that time she prayed for freedom. She dreamed of it constantly. Where was the law of attraction then?

To think that you are going to pass your driving test and then it happens because you feel confident is one thing. Your success simply depends upon your focus, determination, and confidence - not necessarily some mystical cosmological law. You are merely behaving according to what you have visualised in your mind.

But to think constantly about getting a car and then later your friend, who knows how badly you want one, wins the lottery and buys you one as a gift still does not warrant the certainty that everything happened according to a "law of attraction".

The fact of the matter is, some of your wishes are met and some aren't. Chance is still a better candidate.

- Padmasambhava

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 30 Apr 2013 18:57

Think about the case of Elizabeth Fritzl, who was held captive by her father and was beaten, abused and raped for over 20 years. During that time she prayed for freedom. She dreamed of it constantly. Where was the law of attraction then?

It was her fault. Why? She was always thinking of the horrible experience she had every day, even if she prayed, she still had this negative image of her be beaten, so the law of attraction will attract more and more the negative situation. Praying is not a powerful thing. The powerful thing is to have faith even if you don’t see on what you’re walking on.

The law of attraction work like that;
First she must forgive her father,
Second she must clean all the negative thought from her head,
And 3rt she must see what she want and have the sensation she already had it in her hand now.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 30 Apr 2013 19:51

It was her fault. Why? She was always thinking of the horrible experience she had every day, even if she prayed, she still had this negative image of her be beaten, so the law of attraction will attract more and more the negative situation.

It was her fault that the father behaved in such a despicable, vile, condemnable manner? It was her fault that he reminded her of it everyday? Is it logical to think that she, prior to the age of 11 - when her abuse began, constantly thought about her father being abusive before the scenario manifested in reality? What about him? Is he not to blame? Is he not responsible? Are you saying he continued to torture her for a lifetime because she kept thinking about it?

The law of attraction work like that;
First she must forgive her father,
Second she must clean all the negative thought from her head,
And 3rt she must see what she want and have the sensation she already had it in her hand now.

Forgive her father? He never asked to be forgiven. He saw her as inferior. Moreover, he, too, had negative thoughts and he still had his wicked way with her and the other victims for well over three decades (starting way before Elisabeth which really should exempt her from any sort of blame implied on your part).

Can you elaborate more on the 3rd law of attraction precept (I'm not sure I grasp that part)?

By the way, I found this article whilst looking on the Grand Valley State University website. This is a must read about "The Secret" (with videos too): http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/09/the-secret-movie-delusion/

- Padmasambhava

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 01 May 2013 07:07

Ok, if you want to know if the law really exists, try this;
Imagine that you will get 20 euros for free, see the result. Don’t take care of how you will get it, just imagine it’s already in your hand now. Convince your subconscious that you already have it right now in your hand at that moment. Your subconscious doesn’t know what time is.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 May 2013 09:11

Ok.

I'm going to imagine it. How long do I have to wait until it happens? 5 mins? 20 years?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”