I can't control myself while sleeping. Help.

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Mewie

I can't control myself while sleeping. Help.

Postby Mewie » 01 Sep 2011 19:34

Hello Dreamers. :)

First, this isn't about Lucid dreaming. It's real life, while I'm sleeping..

Okay. Here's my problem...

When I was younger, I sleep walked a lot! I spoke and answered, and sometimes people thought I was awake. I could cry and be mad, and draw and everything! When I woke up, I could sometimes remember something (my eyes were open), but I thought it was a dream.
Now, after 1/2 year with insomnia, I'm sleeping okay. Sometimes I can't sleep, but I guess that's normal. I got this Protac Ball Blanket, and it helps me a lot. :D
While I had sleeping deprivation, I just sleeped (When I finally did), no talking, walking or anything.

Last night (and many other nights) I've been doing something like this again. I'm using the WBTB technique, and I have an alarm for 4 am. I also have it on vibration, so I can feel it. Well, I "dreamed" that something made a stupid noice, and I tried to stop it and hold it! It stopped and I woke up. Argh, my hand was hurting!! I looked at it, and found my phone (alarm) in it. I remembered it all, and started lookingat my phone. The vibrations were turned off, and so was my other alarm.. :?

I turned it on again, road about LDs and went back to sleep. In the morning I dreamed that I throw my phone under the bed, and I woke up and looked under the bed. But it wasn't there, so it didn't happened. I was soooo confused. :(

I hate it, and I'm afraid of doing it again. I don't know about my alarm..
And what can I do? I hope you guys can help me. Please. :|

Oh, by the way, I'm sorry if my English isn't so good, I'm from Denmark. ;)

Have nice dreams,
Mew
Reality is a lovely place,
but I wouldn't wanna live there
. ~ Adam Young

Toby

Re: I can't control myself while sleeping. Help.

Postby Toby » 02 Sep 2011 09:10

Hello Mew,

my english won't be perfect either, as I'm from Germany :D . I'm not quite sure whether or not I did understand your problem completely. But it seems the major problem is to know, whether you are really awake or not. I would propose to do a reality check every time you wake up (or you THINK you woke up). I had problems for some times with false awakenings which I found quite troublesome. I good and easy reality check could be just to turn the light on first when you awake. If the light functions normally then you are awake. But if the switch doesn't work, you can be sure to be in some inbetween state. (Remember, that igniting light will not work in a dream state!) If the light doesn't work and you get aware of in, then you should be in a lucid dream. This is a state that one can generally control - either to wake up (simply breathe deeply) or to have nice experiences in lucid dreams.

When you get used to the reality check routine every time you wake up, is should be less likely that you find yourself in confusing states of mind.

Somnambulia is another problem. Normally, the body should be completely paralyzed while dreaming to protect the dreamer from injury. In persons with somnamblia this sleep paralysis mechanism doesn't work perfectly. Basicly I do not have a good idea what one could do, to reduce the risk of somnabulia. I had this problem sometimes as a child, but rarely, and then never again as an adult (neither in periods of my life with lucid dreams nor in periods without).

I hope that helps a bit, and of I didn't get your problem right, you might want to clarify, perhaps I will have better advice with more information...

May better nights be ahead, Toby

Mewie

Postby Mewie » 02 Sep 2011 13:16

Guten Tag, Toby :D

Well, that was one of my problems, and I am doing reality checks when I wakes up. But thanks!

The biggest problem, is, that when I'm sleeping, I can do many crazy thing without knowing it. Just like sleepwalking. I keep turning my alarm off and sometimes I can flip out on it (I guess..) and hurt my hand! I think it is a dream when I'm doing it (without being "lucid") argh, it's confusing! :(

You know, like sleep walking. I just don't walk, but I'm in my bed and turning my alarm off (sometimes by holding it very hard, don't know why :? ) and that's bad.

I hope this makes more sence..
Happy dreams! :D
. ~ Adam Young

Toby

Postby Toby » 02 Sep 2011 17:25

Hi Mewie,

thanks for the "Guten Tag"... :D Well, obviously, I didn't understand the problem well enough. I thought, the reality check was a real good idea. :(
I still think that what you experience is some sort of somnambulisms phenomenon. Perhaps someone else has similiar problem, I only know (and too well) the confusion of the false awkening.
Well, if still has something to do with incomplete sleep paralysis. Some, you should get your brain NOT to let you move without knowing. I suggest meditation before sleeping. Meditation is known to make brain waves more regular and perhaps this can help. Or you could try to change the environment in which you sleep. If you sleep with a little light (which I do), turn it off, if you sleep in complete darkness, let a little light on, just to see, whether it makes a difference. I also recently heard of "binaural beats" making the brain activity more regular. When I listen to these "binaural beats" before going to bed, I often have lucid dreams. But I don't know whether it could be a solution for your problem.
I mean, if you can really turn out your alarm clock in such a state, it's not only some movement without direction... but rather unintentional and subconscious. It's strange!

Perhaps it helps a little. The feeling of not having control is certainly a scary one. When I had the problem with the false awakening I was really scared because I didn't know in what state of mind I actually was. Do you have this problem very often or only from time to time?

Toby

Mewie

Postby Mewie » 02 Sep 2011 17:43

You're welcome. :D

Thank you so much for your answer, I'll try the music. Do you have some links for some free stuff? Maybe youtube or something I can download? :)

Actually, I heard some brain wave music yesterday, before sleeping. It was amazing, It felt like I was sleeping or flying, but I was also very awake.. Hard to explain.. But I had a okay night without any "flip" ;)

Thank you again. :D

Mewie
. ~ Adam Young

Toby

Postby Toby » 02 Sep 2011 18:39

Hi!

I just googled "binaural beats/ free download" and got some mp3 downloads, but I really don't know from where. Yes, it is a strange experience to listen to them, first I didn't like it (felt somehow being manipulated, which I don't like), but then I could relax into it.

Have a real good sleep, Toby

Mewie

Postby Mewie » 02 Sep 2011 20:14

Okay, thanks for your time. :)

Yeah, it feels weird the first time. But it is much more comfortable now. :D

Thanks. You too.

Mew :)
. ~ Adam Young

Return to “Sleep Disorders”