reality check vs. dream stabilizer

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Lucid Dreamer

reality check vs. dream stabilizer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 01 May 2013 15:03

what is the different between a dream stabilizer and a reality check?
I just read that I should not do a reality check once I know that I am dreaming. Have I been doing it wrong all this time? Are the actions different? or are the actions the same with different intent?
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

LucidLink

Re: reality check vs. dream stabilizer

Postby LucidLink » 01 May 2013 15:32

You are doing nothing wrong! A reality check can be used to stabilize dreams, but it also is used to realize your dreaming. Some people have personal preferences on how to use reality checks.

All a dream stabilizer is, is a technique people use while already lucid to keep the lucid dream lasting longer when it would have normally ended.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 May 2013 23:56

A reality check confirms that you are dreaming and a stabilizer is used to firm up the dream. They can be the same thing like when you put one hand into another or into something solid or can be different. Play around a little and see what works for you.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 May 2013 09:27

A reality check is anything you do for the reason of trying to find out you are dreaming.
A dream stabilizer is something done to try to hold you in the dream.

Some things which are done, can be both done as a reality check but also be a dream stabilizer depending on the whys you are doing it at the time eg looking at ones hands. One can look at hands with the intent of holding oneself in the dream by looking at the dream hands (note when using looking at hands in this way you are not looking at them and thinking "are I are in dream?" You dont care if they are weird or not if you are using them to stabilize a dream).

Other things are only reality checks or a dream stabilizer. eg rubbing hands together isnt a reality check as it wont help to show you if you are dreaming or not but is a dream stabilizer.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 04 May 2013 14:57

okay thank you!
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Return to “For Beginners”