Hypnagogia used to increase creativity?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Hypnagogia used to increase creativity?

Postby terranax » 08 May 2013 20:36

Hi. I didn't know for sure where to post this, so I decided here. Anyway:

About three months ago I was lying on my back with my eyes open, staring at the ceiling and listening to Nightwish's Imaginaerum. (I was trying to enter sleep paralysis.) At one point (around the 3rd or 4th song) some visions began to come to me. (Being someone who loves to build in Minecraft, these visions were usually relating to Minecraft. They were also in this style: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/xehanosia-with-world-download/)

The visions were, as I said, in that style. There were combinations of all sorts of colors along with black. I kept on seeing huge and grandiose structures in that style that were never made in Minecraft before. (Which obviously impressed me.) Every once in a while I would be given a vision and if I decided to examine it more closely, my real life vision would become temporarily black even though I did not close my eyes. Of course because of this I became conscious of it and it went away. The visions lasted for quite some time. But when they ended, I decided to just turn off my iPod and doze off to sleep. (Bit silly in my opinion now that I think about it.) And now every time I have an encounter with these visions (haven't had another grandiose one since 3 months ago.) my Minecraft building skills have improved rather quickly, along with creativity in other things.

So for the actual question: am I somehow programming my creativity whenever I have these visions?

Re: Hypnagogia used to increase creativity?

Postby LucidLink » 09 May 2013 00:32

How do you think Benjamin Franklin came up with so many amazing inventions? ;)

Yes it's true, Benjamin Franklin, as well as many others, have used hypanagogia to increase creativity.

It is interesting how Franklin did it, he would sit in a comfortable chair, with his hand just over the arm rest and his palm facing down. In his palm, he held marbles. He would then procede to dose off slightly, but staying slightly awake, and then he entered hypanagogic state where he was said to actually invent and work his inventions there, then invent them in reality. He held the marbles in his hand, so anytime he accidently fell compeltely asleep, the marbels would drop into a bowl and wake him back up. He'd then pick the lmarbels back up, and repeat the process Intill he was done "working"! Quite interesting, and congratulations on discovering this on accident!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Re: Hypnagogia used to increase creativity?

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 May 2013 03:30

Lucidlink.. thanks for sharing that story on Benjamin Franklin, I hadnt heard that before :)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”