Reading in lucid dreams

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
MatsuMama

Reading in lucid dreams

Postby MatsuMama » 12 May 2012 00:07

I read somewhere that it's impossible to read in dreams...but I know for certain I've done this. And it's not all gibberish; I have a pretty photographic memory and I was absolutely aware that I was dreaming, and signs and stuff were spelled correctly and legibly. I've read pretty complex documents as well, like receipts and book pages and the like. Has this happened to anyone else?

Snaggle

Re: Reading in lucid dreams

Postby Snaggle » 12 May 2012 07:35

Usually one sees gibberish or mysterious languages that might as well be gibberish, but yes I've seen writing clearly and even studied math.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 May 2012 04:16

I've been able to read only very basic things like a sign above a restroom. And even that changed when I looked at it again. Everything in my dreams is in a constant state of flux and the closer you look the more obvious it is. To read text you must look very closely and for me, it doesn't stay still long enough to figure out what it says. What happens to me is the closer I look at it, the simpler it becomes until it's just basic simple symbols resembling lines with little curves, maybe a dot here or there.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Legended

Postby Legended » 13 May 2012 05:28

Have you ever tried re-reading something in a dream? The text changes quite dramatically. Sometimes it keeps the same meaning, but rephrases itself. This is actually how I discovered lucid dreaming. I remember once reading a whole chapter on one page.

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 13 May 2013 16:45

Legended wrote:Have you ever tried re-reading something in a dream? The text changes quite dramatically. Sometimes it keeps the same meaning, but rephrases itself. This is actually how I discovered lucid dreaming. I remember once reading a whole chapter on one page.

Yeah, i already have this experience in a normal dream; i was in a math class, the police gave me a paper where it was writing; ''i must use it'' and at the end of the sentence there was a box where i must sign. When i have take the paper to sign, the sentences have transformer into some complex mathetical cacul. I have said to myself; ''Man what i will said to the police that the sentence are lost, i must find an excus''

When i woke up i realise it was just a dream haha :lol:
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 13 May 2013 21:36

I personally have never had much trouble reading in dreams. I think for the conscious mind to keep a wall of text stationary requires a lot of energy, perhaps this is why reading is such a challenge in for some dreamers.
Dreaming is my drug

mia

Postby mia » 14 May 2013 04:14

I have read, and written, in dreams quite often. Last night, I was marking papers in a dream ( I teach at a college; so a tedious work dream, and the sort of work dream I have frequently). I easily wrote clear comments on the student work; and for quite some time. Mind you, I have also experienced trying to read books where I struggled to make out what the print was saying too. ( I have seen my reflection in the mirror without distortion also; something I have heard you are not' supposed' to do). None of this has been in lucid dreams though. ( If I became lucid during a work dream, I'd just get up and leave ; :lol:).
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 May 2013 10:06

I cant remember reading in a LD but I dont doubt I probably could as that same myth that one cant read things exists around reading in OBE states and Ive clearly read things correctly (from the real world, stuff I hadnt seen before but was able to check when I woke up) when in such a state.

I think there is too many myths out there around this stuff. Many people block their experiences due to their beliefs in those myths.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”