Scary headaches during and after lucid dreaming

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Zippo

Scary headaches during and after lucid dreaming

Postby Zippo » 30 Apr 2013 01:41

Hi all!

I started lucid dreaming many years ago but for one reason or another stopped trying to have them - they did continue without me trying and very infrequently. Then I went through a long period of time when I didn't have any at all.

I started having them again about 2 years ago (without trying) but with the most bizarre and scary new 'feature' - as soon as become lucid (or soon after) and tred to assert any kind of control or perform a concious action, I start to get a headache. The headache is almost a 'throbbing' and each 'throb' is almost like simultaneous with my pulse and each one gets worse and worse and worse, and eventually I wake up.

After I've woken up, the headaches continue to get worse and worse, the pain is quite literally unbearable.

Eventually, the pain reaches a 'high point' and it feels like my head is going to explode, but then with each pulse, it slowly subsides. I've had this with my last 3 or 4 LDs.

I actually recently went to the hospital emergency room because it was that bad and I think I had a panic attack with it (because I didn't know what was going on) so that made things worse and I felt dizzy / numb too! Not fun :?

OK so anyway, I got my blood pressure and chest and temperature all checked out and everything was 'perfect' - and they sent me home.

I'm actually scared to go to sleep now.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before with LD'ing? (Note, I do get these headaches sometimes when I'm awake and have in the past been checked out at the hospital) however, they now always occur with my LD's.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks :(

taniaaust1

Re: Scary headaches during and after lucid dreaming

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Apr 2013 07:39

I wish I had some ideas to help you but Ive never heard of anyone having that issue before. I hope you find the answer.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

MattG1116

Postby MattG1116 » 03 May 2013 04:43

If it really gets bad to the point that you fear for your safety, I recommend one of those little necklaces wit a button on it that sends help when you press it, that way if it does get dangerously bad, you can immediately get help sent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zippo

Postby Zippo » 14 May 2013 02:56

Good call MattG1116, I'll keep that in mind - thanks, so far, no more LD's :-( but no headaches too at least :-)

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 08 Aug 2013 02:25

You may have some sort of migrainous issue. Maybe its brought on with too much stimulation to the parts of the brain associated with a Lucid Dreaming level of consciousness. (That's why you've had it before, while awake). And now, what brings it on is full-on lucid dreaming? I don't know, I'm really speculating here.
Well said.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 12 Aug 2013 07:36

Could be some psychological stress, sometimes when I am under the worst of nightmarish lucids I wake up with headaches.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”