Dreaming in Third Person

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Re: Dreaming in Third Person

Postby neverlandjulia » 16 May 2013 22:25

I've got the same thing a lot of times. Especially during weird dreams/nightmares.

Re: Dreaming in Third Person

Postby Summerlander » 16 May 2013 23:52

One way to be more of a participant in dreams rather than just solely being an observer is to start recording and try to establish patterns in the "participant" dreams.

But whether you have more observer than participant dreams or vice versa shouldn't affect your lucid dreaming anyway. You gotta remember that lucid dreams are unlike ordinary dreams. Lucid dreaming literally stands between wakefulness and dreaming as a hybrid state in its own right. This means that you will have more mental faculties available than when you are just merely dreaming...

Because the brain is more active to the point of promoting full consciousness during lucid dreaming, your memory will be more efficient and you will automatically become self-aware. This means that you will have to fully perceive yourself to be somewhere in some sort of spatial construct, not merely observing but also interacting with a virtual environment. Self-awareness enables you to ask yourself, "where am I?", "what am I doing here?", "What is this?", "who is aware?", "What was I doing awhile ago?" etc.

All of that prompts your mind to come up with fast and effective answers in a highly realistic and convincing way and it will do it so well that sometimes the experience of lucidly roaming around in the dream world will be indistinguishable from reality (as in the case of employing an OBE-exit technique and wondering if you are really in a dream bedroom or if you have just got up physically).

The experience in a lucid dream is far too lucid, too conscious, for you to just be an observer clueless to the vagaries of measly non-lucid dream imagery. Unless, of course, in your lucid state you decide to just view moving images like on a screen and voluntarily deny proprioception. But then, why would you want to do that and rob yourself of the experience of perusing virtually three-dimensional worlds of the mind?

Bottom line: consciousness, and therefore perception, during lucid dreaming, is superior to what you get in ordinary dreaming. Don't worry!
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”