ok so I'm starting to doubt

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
neverlandjulia

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 09 May 2013 09:03

taniaaust1 wrote:Sorry no easy answers, just do whatever is feeling right for you.

I tried to move to stabilise the dream but every time I tried to get my hands together I felt that the dream is slipping. I could only lie (the scene was in my bed, as usually when I have short LDs...) and go with the flow of what was happening around but I woke up after 15 seconds anyway.

Sounds like with awareness you are becoming less relaxed (hence can only lie without being negatively affected). If this is the case.. do you know if you may be able to stay in the altered state longer (be it a dream state or an OBE state) if you just meditated from there (eg progressive body relaxation till you cant feel it well), maybe work on further relaxing once you gain awareness that something has changed, rather then doing anything right at that point? (if you stayed relaxed and held the state longer.. maybe it would then help you be more stable after that to do something??). You could both do progressive body relaxation and think about someone about to walk into your room at the same time in between the thoughts of "my eyes are relaxing and softening" "my mouth relaxes" etc etc.

It sounds to me that the rubbing hands together isnt a good stabilization technique for you so you need to try other things to do instead. You need to be prepared that you may need to experiment before you know what is best for you. (think of it as developing your own technique).

Hm... I don't know about meditating because I suck at it in real life and when I get LD I rarely can think about it before the dream slips away. I will try being more relaxed first and then doing something though in this one particular dream someone was standing above me and talking to me so I completely forgot about anything else but responding him, while lying still. When it comes to the right stabilisation technique, do you know any that can be performed while you can't really get out of the bed?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 May 2013 04:39

Hm... I don't know about meditating because I suck at it in real life and when I get LD I rarely can think about it before the dream slips away. I will try being more relaxed first and then doing something though in this one particular dream someone was standing above me and talking to me so I completely forgot about anything else but responding him, while lying still. When it comes to the right stabilisation technique, do you know any that can be performed while you can't really get out of the bed?

Try to engage yourself in what you are experiencing of the LD and using that to stabilise. eg could be voice, could be scent etc. Could be stroking the sheets of the dream bed. Try to be creative and use whatever is there in your dream to stabilise it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 May 2013 07:37

shadowz19995 wrote:Actually when you said that they are people you have never seen before sorry but that's not possible. You always dream of people you know or have seen before. You don't have to know them it could have been a stranger on the subway but as long as you saw him you're subconscious will remember it.

I disagree with your post. I'll explain why.

One thing Ive noticed in dreams and LDs is that the subconsciousness can create completely new things out of things its seen before as it often mixes things together eg Ive found myself in houses which are a combo of different houses Ive been in in real life.. by putting parts of different things Ive seen together, my subconscious created an entirely new house.

Ive found this same thing happening with very strange, non earth animals in my dreams. My subconsciousness will mix up parts of animals Ive seen to create some weird kind of animal it makes up. So from that, Im positive that my subconsciousness would do exactly the same thing with people Ive seen.. and create entirely new characters from mixing up body parts from others Ive seen in the past eg a nose from this person, eyes from another, hair from another etc and you then get a completely new person one could say.

We also know that the subconsciousness can also change the shape or length of a body part in its symbolism.. eg I looked at my hand while in LD and I had plants growing out from my finger tips.. or I look at my hand and see the image I have by my nic. I have certainly not seen my hand like that in real life and my subconsciousness made that up to express something.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 May 2013 08:49

jeffreym wrote: So I was thinking this morning-- why did I have such a full on lucid dream after so many years of not. I recently started meditating in the middle of the day. Just 10 minute 'resets'. Focus on breath & still the mind. BEING. Allowing the thoughts to come in, persist, and go. Notice the wind but not focus on it. That sort of thing. I'm convinced this is the trigger that brought back this ability.

Yes Im sure it was responsible for your spontanous LD. What you did there is a a kind of awareness technique. Be in the moment and be aware. Doing awareness techniques in life can trigger LDs.

As far as your past dropping out of LD experiences go.. that is something which one uses what is called "stabilization" techniques for. If you decide to go into doing LDs again, you'll find info on this forum on the things you can do to stabilise your LD to make you less likely to just drop out (or to even help you pull yourself back into it more some).

Return to “For Beginners”