My first (sort of) lucid dream. YAY!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
alpacatackler

My first (sort of) lucid dream. YAY!

Postby alpacatackler » 11 Sep 2011 15:24

Hi everyone. I am very new at this whole thing. Yesterday while napping in the afternoon, I was trying to see if I could let myself go into sleep paralysis, but didn't have much success with it (I get as far as feeling kind of tingly and almost not feeling my body, but no further). Anyway when I went to bed last night I was having trouble falling asleep so I went to the couch downstairs where it's quieter. I fell asleep finally but shortly thereafter I woke up on the couch again...except I noticed my body felt kinda weird and heavy, so I decided to check if I could see my hand. I noticed my arm was hard to move and I appeared to have no hand at all, just my wrist fuzzily fading into blackness (this sounds alarming but wasn't at the time). Immediately I concluded I must be dreaming.

Just then I heard some sound at the door. I was scared for a second and then realized that whatever it was couldn't hurt me, and that if I didn't go face it this would turn into a nightmare really fast. So I tried to get up and go to the door but my body felt really heavy and I couldn't get there. Then I forgot all about the door and tried rubbing my hands together. To my great surprise (since I've never rubbed my hands in a dream before) I could feel them very realistically except they felt a bit rougher than in real life. I thought it was quite boring to be in my living room so I tried spinning myself somewhere else, but kept landing back where I was. Then I heard some music so I started dancing around the room. After a minute I woke up on the couch again for real this time.

I'm not sure this counts as a totally lucid dream since it wasn't especially clear and I didn't even seem to have full control over my body. Still, it was really exciting to have made some kind of first step!

alpacatackler

Re: My first (sort of) lucid dream. YAY!

Postby alpacatackler » 12 Sep 2011 15:37

Well, last night I woke up to someone banging on the front door (seriously, what is it about that door?) and my husband missing from his spot next to me. I checked my hand again and this time it looked normal (clever brain!) but the way it felt kind of stiff clued me in that it was my dream hand. Unfortunately, I woke up at that moment.

This morning I was trying to WILD and two different times I suddenly felt my body vibrating and saw bright patterns right in front of my eyes like glow-in-the-dark wallpaper. However, I think it startled me so much that it snapped me out of it (have I mentioned I'm an extremely light sleeper?). Maybe if I just keep practicing I'll get used to it eventually?

jkemeny

Re: My first (sort of) lucid dream. YAY!

Postby jkemeny » 19 Sep 2011 02:26

Interesting. I often go to the couch and seem to have more lucid experiences there than in my regular bed. I'm not sure why. Perhaps the different sleeping environment causes me to sleep more "lightly" and therefore more susceptible to lucid dreaming. The knocking on the door is also interesting. I often hear knocking and voices. Seems so real doesnt it? Yes, you do eventually get used to it. Congrats on your lucid experiences!

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”