Couple o' questions on WILD

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
fineganswaker

Couple o' questions on WILD

Postby fineganswaker » 13 Sep 2011 20:07

Hi, gang. Need some feedback (maybe the Jimi Hendrix kind).

I haven't been having much success lately with the WBTB/MILD method. Just a couple of very dim lucid dreams (or maybe just dreams about LDing over the past month or so) with very minimal awareness and control.

So, I've been fooling around with the WILD method, and I'm not sure if I'm making progress or not. I'm laying flat on my back and ignoring the roll-over signal for the most part. I'm using LaBerge's relaxation technique, and also his WILD suggestion of mentally asking the question "Am I dreaming?" over and over again as you fall asleep. The idea is that, if you can keep this going, it's a good bet you'll end up asking it in a dream state and become lucid.

It's been really easy to get into hypnogogia this way--and kind of prolong and make more vivid. I've had some cool things happen there too: People appearing and telling or asking me things, odd sounds and crazy jazz playing, geometric patterns, and other general weirdness. I'm getting good at keeping the "Am I dreaming" question going, but what happens is that my awareness of asking the question tends to make me check out my physical surroundings--which jerks me back out in waking consciousness. Oddly, the sensation often feels like a mild form of the familiar "falling" sensation.

I only pass the hypnogogic "doorway" if I leave off the "Am I dreaming?" mantra--but then I just fall asleep and don't LD.

Any suggestions?

Also, at no time during these WILD attempts do I experience SP. Is "consciously" experiencing SP *necessary* for LDing using the WILD method?

Thanks,

--FW

PS: Just as an aside. I had a really interesting (and vivid) false awakening last night involving SP. I'd only been asleep about 2 hours, and "dreamed" I was laying where I was, on my back doing WILD, and asking myself if I was now experiencing SP. I checked, but realized I could move and even get up. This was disappointing (not doing WILD correctly again, I thought). But then I actually did wake up and realized I'd blown it by missing an opportunity for a major OBE!

alpacatackler

Re: Couple o' questions on WILD

Postby alpacatackler » 13 Sep 2011 22:30

I don't know the answer to your question...but if you find out, let me know! I'm having some of the same problems.

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 14 Sep 2011 01:02

alpacatackler wrote:I don't know the answer to your question...but if you find out, let me know! I'm having some of the same problems.

Will do. I'm going to reread that section in the LaBerge book tonight. Maybe there's some key detail I missed...

The WILD method is tricky, but I feel like I'm getting closer. That weird false awakening I had last night felt like some kind of signpost on a rough hill on the way there...

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 16 Sep 2011 16:36

fineganswaker wrote:Also, at no time during these WILD attempts do I experience SP. Is "consciously" experiencing SP *necessary* for LDing using the WILD method?

You *never* have to ever experience sleep paralysis to project. Sleep Paralysis is actually you experiencing a malfunctioning of a feature of the body that makes it so you don't act out your dreams.

For what you're doing, a WILD (of which I call simply Phasing)... you're doing it fine. Work yourself into those hypnogogic images, allow them to come, retain and hold your focus towards them... then allow yourself to shift into them. The point there is that you have to ALLOW it to happen, you can't force any of this.

It sounds like you're doing fine so far.... just keep practicing! :)

PS: Just as an aside. I had a really interesting (and vivid) false awakening last night involving SP. I'd only been asleep about 2 hours, and "dreamed" I was laying where I was, on my back doing WILD, and asking myself if I was now experiencing SP. I checked, but realized I could move and even get up. This was disappointing (not doing WILD correctly again, I thought). But then I actually did wake up and realized I'd blown it by missing an opportunity for a major OBE!

All you had to do there was realize at the time you were in the non-physical. IMO, a "false awakening" is simply an unconscious projection. You were close. :)

I had a false awakening the other morning after a great projection. I woke up after the projection and wrote down keywords so I could remember the experience later on... then I went back to sleep. I woke up in the morning only to find that my "writing down keywords" was actually just a false awakening. >_<
I had no notes and I forgot the majority of the experience by then. LOL *facepalms*
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

kasi

Postby kasi » 24 Sep 2011 08:17

iam having similar issues,i get to s.p observing hypnogogic images, a dream opens up i try to cross from the hypnogogia into it ,iam visualizing myself lucid in it trying to stabilize rubbing hand s,spinning etc but it just remains a distance fantasy and fades away...what should i do ,with love from a hare krishna oneironnaut.kasi

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 12 Nov 2011 18:40

fineganswaker in a normal WILD one experiences atonia as just a dream image and one transitions into rem sleep almost instantaneously. The sleep paralysis experience is not normal even in atonia and one does not need to be in either atonia or SP to do an OBE.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”