Phantom Limbs

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Re: Phantom Limbs

Postby HAGART » 22 May 2013 22:57

One time I woke up in the night and I felt an arm draped over my shoulder. I reached and touched it with my right hand and it felt like I was touching my left hand. So then I reached up and touched it with my left hand and it felt like I was touching my right hand!

It was some weird 'glitch in my system' during a false awakening.

BUT in most lucid dreams I get,
they are big and fat, or have gnarled fingers or one time I had fingers coming out of my fingers like tree branches!

But just last night I had a very vivid wake induced lucid dream (more vivid than most I get) and about halfway through I looked at my hands to see how real they were. I noticed the details of those tiny ridges on my palms like fingerprints and it looked very real to me at the time. But after I woke up and compared them to my real hands, I noticed those tiny ridges were more 'swirly' in the dream than my real hands. It is such a subtle difference!

I wonder if people that think their hands are the same, just aren't looking close enough? Or is it that they get so much experience looking at hands in dreams, they actually DO start to look the same over time? Or is it that what I consider a 'vivid, realistic lucid dream' pales in comparison to the vividness others experience and we use a different scale and I am not at the same level?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 May 2013 22:00

That glitch is interesting, Hagart! And I wonder about people's subjectivities, too. By the way, once I looked down and I was impressed, too! But I guess it was just wishful thinking... :mrgreen:

Unless that is also caused by the same or similar effect as what happens with the hands. could it be that in the majority of individuals the mind is prone to creating something pleasing that alludes to usefulness or handiness?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 May 2013 02:58

Summerlander wrote: By the way, once I looked down and I was impressed, too! But I guess it was just wishful thinking... :mrgreen:

I know what your talking about. We don't have to just look at hands in dreams to notice something odd and distorted about our bodies, but any appendage! ;)

And 'freakishly large' would be how I describe it. (Wishful thinking..... :mrgreen: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 26 May 2013 01:38

Wishful thinking indeed! :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”