failed flying, but so expecting it

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Lucid Dreamer

failed flying, but so expecting it

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 21 May 2013 14:01

Hi, so I became lucid the other night. I knew that I wanted to fly. So, I jumped over a pool, so expecting to fly. It didn't work. I fell in, but the only thing is that I was so expecting it that I actually thought I was flying for a second, and when I didn't I was so surprised. Obviously I was committed enough to the flying, so why didn't I? was I just not lucid enough?
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

deepakkumaar97

Re: failed flying, but so expecting it

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 21 May 2013 17:40

Try to use some aids, such as the iron man suit, a jetpack or something. Flying on your own can be a little hard especially when you have to take off from the ground.
If you are a good teleporter try to go to some high buildings or mountains from where you can jump and just fly and glide.

Lucid Dreamer wrote:so why didn't I? was I just not lucid enough?

I don't think the level of lucidity affects in this case as we also fly in our nonlucid dreams and also have a certain amount of control.

If this was your first or second attempt towards flying, nothing to be discouraged about, you will soon master this with time.
Do a reality check

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 21 May 2013 19:43

You expected to, but did you believe you could? ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 May 2013 01:35

:lol: you fell into a pool.

I once had a LD flying (or rather not flying) incident of slamming hard into concrete as things didnt go how I expected they would.. and that truely hurt. (Im so glad I was only trying to take off the ground, it felt real that fall and hitting the ground, it was quite painful and completely unexpected as I'd been determined to fly). Im now completely put off of just trying to fly (intense pain- I felt like I broke ribs- will do that too you even if pain in a LD is brief) and now prefer to do it on something like while sitting on a flying chair.

Two things I personally think may make flying hard even when we truely think we are going to fly.
1/ A part of yourself deep down always knows we cant fly in real life and if a dream is feeling the same and feels as real as real life.. that deeper part may think "I cant fly" (due to the deep imprinting we have from our physical reality) even if your more surface thoughts think you can.

2/ Dreams are symbolic. Lucid dreams are a mix of waking consciousness along with subconsciousness, both of these creating the LD reality. Not being able to fly symbolises things not going smoothly, not being great in your real life. Sometimes the subconsciousness symbolics may be there so strongly that they may override what you consciously wish to do in your dream. You may find yourself easily able to fly in a LD if your subconsciousness is working with you eg if your life improves. Otherwise...you will have to overcome the flying issues in other ways if you want to succede in it. Use flying chairs, flying carpets, jet tanks.. or slowly teach yourself to fly in dreams.

Im glad you had a soft landing :D

IF you purposely choose to do flying over a pool just in case you fell.. that may be enough to actually cause a failed flying attempt as it would signal to your subconsciousness thoughts of possibly falling in the pool.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 22 May 2013 03:34

@deepakkumaar97: I have attempted to fly many times before. the first bunch I never could. When I actually got up into the air, I could only go so high. I only had one time when I could really fly freely (i think). Actually I have never attempted to teleport in a lucid dream.

@taniaaust1: I remember reading on this site constantly that one's level of lucidity greatly affects their ability to do things. maybe I was mistaken. I did not purposfully try to fly over a pool for a cushioned landing (at least not consciously), I just happened to be at a pool. My life hasnt been too hard lately, but I have had some problems that I am sure have affected me internally if this is the case.

I will definitely try to use a flying aid next time seeing that I have always had trouble flying in lucid dreams. A pegasus maybe? :)
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 22 May 2013 11:10

You expect to fly, but you don't believe you can.
Expectation and belief are two very different things.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 22 May 2013 20:35

so I had a lucid dream last night! Because flying was not my main goal of the lucid dream last night, I didn't attempt it full heartedly but here's what happened briefly;

so I tried to fly but it wasn't working as usual, so I tried to summon a jet pack. It worked, but it was invisible, so like not really there, but there. So that actually did help. All I had to do was hop of my toe and i was hovering! I then stopped because I remembered a more important dream goal I had and I wanted to do that.

I also attempted to summon a magic carpet. I also tried to round a corner and see a pegasus, but It didn't work. Now here's an entirely different issue, not being able to summon things. :roll:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 May 2013 22:39

Flying is hard for me too. Welcome to the club.

I've summoned things to help too, and you're right, they tend to not be 'physically' there. They are not really tangible or tactile, and they tend to disappear when I stand on it (magic carpet technique), but for some reason it helps with that mental leap of faith and get over it.

But why is there gravity at all in a lucid dream? I guess we are just so use to it, it is ingrained in our psyche and hard to overcome. And I find the more vivid and lucid I am, the HARDER I find it to do incredible things like that, that defy physics. It is too real to overcome at times, and just feels 'impossible'.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deepakkumaar97

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 23 May 2013 13:16

Lucid Dreamer wrote:so I tried to fly but it wasn't working as usual, so I tried to summon a jet pack. It worked, but it was invisible, so like not really there, but there. So that actually did help. All I had to do was hop of my toe and i was hovering! I then stopped because I remembered a more important dream goal I had and I wanted to do that.

Congratulations, you took off, which I think is the hardest part. The flying aid you use need not to be visible, you just have to believe, and you don't either have to summon them, just feel the jet pack on your back and don't be dubious like checking if it is really there or not, just believe.
And one more thing once you take off, don't just try to gain more and more height, just after a little height start flying and as you fly slowly gain the height, as simply gaining height is directly going against the gravity, which although isn't there but some part of our mind simply can't neglect an as used to thing as gravity.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-have-lucid-flying-dreams.html
Do a reality check

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 31 May 2013 13:40

Trying to fly but never reaching higher than a certain point seems to happen a lot in dreams.

What worked for me was imagining the entire landscape was like a bouncy castle. I just kept bouncing higher and higher, and eventually, I just started flying.

You probably expected to fly, but didn't believe you were able to fly.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”