Dreams about performances?

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
alpacatackler

Dreams about performances?

Postby alpacatackler » 21 Sep 2011 04:14

Lately I keep dreaming about being in a play or other performance, but I'm always in some kind of minor supporting role. Also, my high school drama teacher (who also never cast me in lead roles) keeps showing up in my dreams for some reason. I wonder what this means...maybe that I feel like I'm taking a backseat in life to other people? Or that I'm tired of "putting on a show?" with my life?

jamjam

Re: Dreams about performances

Postby jamjam » 21 Sep 2011 22:51

I think that if you stop thinking about the dream and relax then you'll stop having this dream. If you cannot stop thinking about the meaning my guess is that the dream is like a nightmare because you said that you never got a main role and deep inside you always wanted one. That's just my guess though. Anyways, I'm new to this forum but I did some research about dreaming. Good luck and happy dreaming! :D

alpacatackler

Re: Dreams about performances?

Postby alpacatackler » 22 Sep 2011 00:34

Honestly, I don't know because even though I was slightly bummed about the roles I got in high school, that was 10 years ago now, and by no means have I been thinking, dreaming, or caring about it ever since then! It's only in the past few weeks that this theme emerged, so I'm thinking it must have a kind of less literal meaning.

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 23 Sep 2011 00:49

I think that you should try something new to break out of your cycle and if nothing works, just go ahead and ask while awake in a lucid dream.

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 31 Oct 2011 22:41

Just happened to see this thread from a little while ago and thought I'd pick up on it.

Really interesting topic! I'm a part-time professional guitarist, have been for years, and I often have dreams about preparing for some performance or jam session--but I never end up actually playing. The entire dream is just me trying to figure out equipment problems with stompboxes and bad patch cords or unworkable amps or broken E strings--or all of that kind of stuff combined*. Sometimes the dream has to do with meeting and having the opportunity to play with some famous guitarist. I had a dream about six months ago (that I made a journal entry for) where I had the opportunity to play music with my guitar-god, Bill Frisell--but had nothing but equipment problems and never got to jam with him (rats!).

Since then I've started doing RCs in waking life whenever I actually do have some kind of equipment problem when I'm playing or just practicing on my own. That was the last dream I had with this theme--but I know it will come back at some point. I hope I'll be ready when it does because I want to become lucid and just will all the equipment to work properly!

Also really looking forward to a LD where I can practice or prepare for a performance. I have a few classical pieces by Bach I'd love to work on in a LD. For me learning or discovering something about guitar technique via a LD would be the total cheese experience!**

* Which reminds me of the idea that electrical items often don't work in LDs--shades of the light switch test!
** Has anybody on the forum used a LD for practice or preparation for a real life event or performance? LaBerge and other LD experts say it can be done.

Return to “Dream Interpretation”