New Guy with an Overactive Imagination!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
I am Ry

New Guy with an Overactive Imagination!

Postby I am Ry » 28 Sep 2011 05:02

Hi, everyone! I am Ry, as my username suggests, and I was introduced about 3 years ago to the concept of lucid dreaming. I was interested in it, but I found that I could never do it. Why? Well, first of all, I have a severely overactive imagination. Some may call it either social anxiety or highly sensitive temperament. (Or Asperger's Syndrome, etcetera) but honestly I think I'm just neurotic, slightly awkward, and have a crazy imagination.

Just as well, I never researched the proper technique. I'll go into detail about that later.

I have had but one brief lucid dream. It was short lived as well, because I wasn't 100% lucid. I was aware that I was dreaming, but I was overwhelmed slightly with the limitless possibilities, so I think of shooting fire from the tips of my fingers, and viola! Fire. But there's no smoke to this fire, and the wall appears to be melting like plastic, rather than burning. Next, I try to fly, simply by holding my hands out and thinking of flight, but I only lasted a few seconds until I was back in the house. (Probably distracted by the fact that I went intangibly through the ceiling, and that the outside I saw was different than the outside I perceived through the window. At this point onward, my lucidity was gone and I started talking to my friend about my first lucid dream and how 'it was awesome' while I was still in my dream.

Short lived, but exciting! However, again, not having researched the proper lucid dreaming techniques, I never had another. I did have a dream about controlling a dream, but gee, what good is that? I used my mind to change the color of the walls, how exciting. 8-)

Anyway, what finally stopped me from trying to dream lucidly was having a dream (a false awakening) about waking up with sleep paralysis, panicking and seeing odd figures in my room. Then, when I actually woke up, I actually DID have sleep paralysis, only this time, the figures were moving faster, there was one tall, lanky, shadowey figure standing over me, and I could hear a horribly loud buzzing/ringing sound as well as a vibrating sensation. Holy crap, people, I thought I was dead and that figure was death.

Ever since then, I've had a deep fear of sleep paralysis, that I just can't overcome, and after looking up proper techniques (like WILD techniques) for lucid dreaming, I've seen that many techniques come with the dreadful feeling of the sleep paralysis.

Any suggestions for that? Also, hi! :D

jamjam

Re: New Guy with an Overactive Imagination!

Postby jamjam » 28 Sep 2011 12:29

I think you should overcome your fear! SP is perfectly safe! You sleep through it every night. That weird dream was all inside YOUR head. The more you fear it the less time you can enjoy it. I've had nightmares and scary sleep paralysis but when I talk to the dream figure and find out everything was just a dream I want to go back! Those hallucinations can be controlled and YOU imagine them. Have no fear of lucid dreaming sleep paralysis and hallucinations because YOU made them. Jamjam
jamjam

I am Ry

Postby I am Ry » 29 Sep 2011 02:50

My fear resides less in the hallucinations, more in the idea of some kind of rare event in which I get stuck in Sleep Paralysis for an extended time. Silly, I know, but that's really what scares me about it.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 29 Sep 2011 15:21

I am Ry wrote:My fear resides less in the hallucinations, more in the idea of some kind of rare event in which I get stuck in Sleep Paralysis for an extended time. Silly, I know, but that's really what scares me about it.

Think about this then... if you get "stuck" in Sleep Paralysis for an "extended time", so what?
What's the worst that can happen to you? Will you die? Nope... :)

I can GUARANTEE that you'll come out of it eventually. Have you ever NOT come out of Sleep Paralysis? Well, you're chatting with us now, so I'd venture a guess to say that you've been fine. hehe

Also, let me ask you something else... are you afraid to leave your house? There's lots of rare and scary things that can happen to you outside your house. You still go out though, right? Well, the same logic really does apply here as well. You don't stop doing something simply because there's a rare chance that something strange might occur. ;)

However, if you ever do find yourself in a pickle and you just can't seem to get out of Sleep Paralysis... what you can do is focus your entire effort upon moving a single finger. Don't try to break Sleep Paralysis, just work on moving a single finger, and it'll break on it's own at that point. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

I am Ry

Postby I am Ry » 29 Sep 2011 17:35

It may just take some time to get used to the idea. I've said all the same things to myself in my head, and I still chicken out. I'll just have to give myself a little while to get over it, because I can't actually fall asleep in a WILD attempt, because I'm too wired and afraid of the sleep paralysis part. It'll take some time, that's all. It's like when you try to swallow pills for the first time. I'm sure you remember that feeling.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 29 Sep 2011 21:34

The only cure for fear that I know of is courage and facing your fear directly.

Until you beat that fear, you won't project. Fear is the #1 blocker.
Or join my forums!

I am Ry

Postby I am Ry » 01 Oct 2011 08:09

Honestly, it's starting to get to me. I'll have nights where I'm trying to get to sleep, and I keep thinking that, since I'm so aware (accidentally, for all intents and purposes) of my body that I may accidentally have a WILD. Now the lucid dream is fine and dandy, but the more people I ask about SP, the less pleasant it sounds. People describe loud buzzing, rushing, humming, and/or roaring noise, as well as an all-over pins-and-needles feeling. I've been told it's easy to break out of if you're going to sleep, rather than waking up, especially if it scares the crap out of you with it's noisy shenanigans.

But what keeps happening is I'll be drifting asleep, mind wandering off as it should, then ZZZZZZ LOUD NOISE, bam, I'm awake. After a look around (and I can move at this point, I never noticed I point where I couldn't move, mainly because I wasn't moving on my own accord), I realize nothing in my room could have made that sound. This just keeps happening. It's like sleep paralysis is waking me up! Is my awareness (and fear) of the state causing it to wake me up? I just want to sleep at this point, I have work tomorrow! :(

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 01 Oct 2011 16:03

Let this sound calm you and don't fight it. You can use this as a gateway to lucid dreams.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 01 Oct 2011 19:59

I am Ry wrote:Honestly, it's starting to get to me. I'll have nights where I'm trying to get to sleep, and I keep thinking that, since I'm so aware (accidentally, for all intents and purposes) of my body that I may accidentally have a WILD. Now the lucid dream is fine and dandy, but the more people I ask about SP, the less pleasant it sounds. People describe loud buzzing, rushing, humming, and/or roaring noise, as well as an all-over pins-and-needles feeling. I've been told it's easy to break out of if you're going to sleep, rather than waking up, especially if it scares the crap out of you with it's noisy shenanigans.

But what keeps happening is I'll be drifting asleep, mind wandering off as it should, then ZZZZZZ LOUD NOISE, bam, I'm awake. After a look around (and I can move at this point, I never noticed I point where I couldn't move, mainly because I wasn't moving on my own accord), I realize nothing in my room could have made that sound. This just keeps happening. It's like sleep paralysis is waking me up! Is my awareness (and fear) of the state causing it to wake me up? I just want to sleep at this point, I have work tomorrow! :(

Sleep Paralysis is as calm or hectic as "you make it out to be". :)

As for the potential for "random noises"... that's just something you need to accept and ignore when it happens. It's not Sleep Paralysis that's waking you... you're waking yourself due to the fear you're associating with SP. ;)

Just "KNOW" that you're safe and that there is nothing to fear. Remain calm when you experience SP. :)
Or join my forums!

I am Ry

Postby I am Ry » 02 Oct 2011 00:36

Haha, I try, but it's difficult to work with! It either wakes me up because I think it's some loud, scary thing, or I just go to sleep completely, because I'm TOO calm. I guess it's a good sign that I can get THAT close to lucid dreams, though. A friend of mine who does WILDs regularly tells me that the fact that I'm even hearing the "whooshie-buzzie ringing death noises" tells me that if I just learn to not have a black and white response (meaning either terrified and wiry or sleepy and dreamy.) I can have a lucid dream pretty easily.

I MUST LEARN TO CONTROL MY POWERS :C

Return to “For Beginners”