I know that I'm dreaming but...

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
yogithis

I know that I'm dreaming but...

Postby yogithis » 01 Oct 2011 22:18

Hi,

I'm trying to have lucid dreams and have a particular issue and i was wondering if any body else has experienced this and what they did to overcome it.

When I have lucid dreams there is a point in the dream where I realise I'm dreaming, everything seems perfectly normal apart from the fact I know what i'm experiencing is not my life. Rather than take control of the dream I follow it. Usually I'm asking my self where am I and what am I doing here but seeing as I apparently know what I'm doing I simply follow it all the while confused as I don't or rarely know anyone in the dream.
This may sound strange but I don't want to take control because I fear it might mess it up (by that I mean the reality I'm experiencing) for someone else.
Is this a normal experience? How can I take control of the dream to experience something more personal to me? Can anyone suggest a mental approach I need to adopt to help me take control as more often than not I feel like a passenger.

I have had many lucid dreams but now I'm actually trying to have them it's not happening although I have to say I'm remembering and dreaming way more than ever before.

Thanks
Michael

torakrubik

Re: I know that I'm dreaming but...

Postby torakrubik » 01 Oct 2011 23:46

Sounds like you're semi-lucid, so you are still concerned about any social consequences of your actions. Try to expose your dream characters as not real, and you will find it is easier to continue
Dreaming is my drug

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 02 Oct 2011 00:15

Thanks Torakrubik,
Not sure how I'll get on with that, often I'm in situations where there are lots of people around and although I might have an idea to challenge my reality I usually end up being a passenger even though I know I'm dreaming.
I think this is what is stopping me from taking control. I'm practicing saying, this is my body I am lucid now, in my waking life as often as I can plus I'm using a yoga technique during the day to take with me when I dream for the awareness but as yet I haven't been able put them into practice in my dreams since I started trying to lucid dream.

I have always been quite cautious in my dreams as I've had so many strange experiences, time travel, differenty worlds revisited again and again it has led me to be wary about interfering. I guess I need to stop the worry and take control!
Thanks for the advice
sat nam
Michael

Toby

Postby Toby » 04 Oct 2011 15:42

Hi Michael,

I think that both my spontaneous dreams and my willing action in lucid dreams just come from within myself. So I don't see a danger of "disturbing" anything. And if you once take control, you can let it go again if you wish to. I often have the feeling of just letting the LD go on, because I'm curious what will happen. Even it is no necessary to take full control. Sometimes I only change a little in my dream. For example I visit a certain place intentionally and the give up control to see what happens. There is really no danger in control.

I think another important point is thy one wants to have LD. For a long time, I had lucid dreams but the most interesting idea I had was flying around my house all the time. I realized that I need a goal where I want to go. I think it's like traveling. By choosing a destination you take control, yet you can try to be open to all the experiences that occur to you on your voyage. That's at least my opinion.

I have some goals that I achieved (being a cat in a dream was nice :D ), but some I'm still searching for (to get to the beautiful and now destroyed garden of my grandfather would really make me happy).

Have beautiful dreams, Toby

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 04 Oct 2011 18:13

Thanks Toby,

Often when I dream I end up following it and only when I want to leave it do I stop and think I'm dreaming. Mostly there is confusion at this point and I might wake up or lose my awareness of the dream state.

My goal is simply to become aware I'm dreaming. Since I've been trying I've had no joy, only when I wake up do I think oh I was dreaming. Once I can become lucid then I have a whole list of people I need to talk to!

Can you simply create the environment just by thinking about it or is it harder than that?

Michael

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 04 Oct 2011 21:48

Creating an entirely new dream environment takes practice, but if you're fully lucid, changing aspects isn't difficult. just the other night, i changed words appearing a wall by closing my eyes, imagining the word, then opening them. give it a go :)
Dreaming is my drug

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 04 Oct 2011 22:11

My plan is to follow the buddhist 6 stage process, so really I need to be able to manipulate objects in the dream first and then move onto changing the dreamscape. But first I need to be able to lucid dream at will...small steps ;)
It's great to hear of your experiences torak, have you ever tried to meet any of the ascended masters? another one of my goals!

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 05 Oct 2011 21:17

I haven't done much in the way of dream character interaction, although it's an interesting prospect. mostly I've been manipulating the environment and bending the rules of physics ;)
Dreaming is my drug

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 05 Oct 2011 23:39

Ah the laws of physics ;)
I was flying last night but not lucid enough to take control, too much enjoyment I think although I had to wake up to go to work!
I'm looking forward to playing with the energy in a dream, I've only ever tried that once when I happened to be flying. The thought occurred to me I needed to watch out for power lines (hahahaha...) when I looked up to see if there were any the reality changed and I was speeding through something (kind of a kalidescope effect) but I travelled with such speed I lost all awareness.

How does it work when you're manipulating the dreamscape? Are you fully in control, by that I mean do you imagine what you want to see and it appears or is it only a partial effect? I'd love to know how you do that as it's something I want to learn.

Thanks
Michael

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2011 00:15

I did two things in a LD a few nights back, one was look for and find the thread to my body. A long silver line and I managed to hold it and feel the thread that was cool and can be done in any LD in my experience if you just look for it.

Second I was relaxing and entered into a dream by leaving my body, It was a little harder than usual as I was a bit hyped on too much coffee from the day so felt some of my energy depart to a dream body (obe) and then started spinning and imagined spinning. "I" ended up as a collection of small spheres in a horizontal plane and just rotating or spinning at a great rate. Suspended in space, a total void. I was observing the spheres and was the spheres at the same time. Don’t know how that happens but the awareness was both of being the spheres and observing the spheres. I don’t even think you need a normal projection of your body in a lucid state.

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”