Hypnogogic Imagery and WILDs

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
opkluu

Hypnogogic Imagery and WILDs

Postby opkluu » 23 Sep 2011 23:13

Last night, when I was attempting a WILD, like many times in the past, and didn't go through the entire "relaxing" phase I usually do, which consists of me taking deep breaths, then relaxing individual parts of the body at a time, by focusing on them, etc.

Either way, I was laying in bed, when the hypnogogic imagery came up, since I had just recently learned about it, I payed attention and watched them, like it says to do on the site. After watching them shift around, it turned into a location, a dark stone room with a pool of water in the middle, with 4 golden pilars topped with those pineapple type ordainments you usually find outside peoples houses on the lawn. I willed myself to go there, and to be there in a dream, so I felt a tugging sensation, which resulted in my heartrate going up. I've had this same experience with the tugging sensation, which did the same all the times before. Eventually, I guess my heartrate goes up too high, and then the image of the location fades, along with the heartrate and tugging motion.

Therefore, I really want to know, what am I doing wrong, that it never works... isnt this the final step before vibrations, and then lucidity? I'd really like an answer, or a suggestion to fix this, thanks in advance ^^

Summerlander

Re: Hypnogogic Imagery and WILDs

Postby Summerlander » 24 Sep 2011 13:09

It helps if you have a nap or sleep first. Then you go back to bed and you can start by relaxing your body. Once you are fully relaxed, you need to focus on something mental and stay away from being aware of bodily sensations. That's where you are going wrong. If you focus on bodily sensations, you will have trouble letting go.

The palpitations you are feeling are the product of adrenaline release which actually goes against you inducing the state.

Anyway, WILDs are certainly amazing, but, what is wrong with DILDs? They can be just as exciting and realistic...it is the same state entered in different ways.
Last edited by Summerlander on 25 Sep 2011 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

opkluu

Postby opkluu » 25 Sep 2011 17:05

Hm, therefore, after relaxing, I should pour all my focus into something not related to the body?

I know that my adrenaline goes up when the tugging sensation happens, so are you saying I should not focus on that feeling either? Or if not, how would I stop that adrenaline release?

As for DILDs, whenever I tried realitly checks, they never caught on in my dreams... maybe because I don't do them enough?

Either way, if you have any tips that would make DILDs more common, then by all means please share them ^^

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 25 Sep 2011 22:12

You can't stop the adrenaline release when it happens and it is very hard to keep calm in those circumstances. It can happen to anyone sometimes. It has happened to me a few times when I have tried to induce WILDs. Not that I am saying that it is impossible to induce WILDs when the adrenaline is going, but it certainly makes it harder.

If you are going for WILDs, then the morning is the best time to induce them, upon wakening or launching from the hypnopompic state. You can also sleep/nap to wake up in the middle of the night, use the toilet if you must and go back to bed after 15-20 minutes. This sleep inertia will serve to create a balance whereby you won't just fall asleep when you go back to bed but you won't just be lying there waiting forever either. Once in bed, you can start by relaxing and the body will 'switch off' at the first opportunity it gets in order to get the REM that you deprived it from. The body will activate REM atonia while you are still consciously aware and thus you will be able to have a WILD eventually. You can then enter potential dream scenes from the hypnagogic state or you can try a 'separation from the body'. In order to enter the dream world lucidly from the waking state, I move out of body (the illusion of separating from the body or OOBEs/OBEs) - usually from vibrations - to encounter a dream replica of my bedroom.

If you are going for DILDs, the situation becomes a little hit and miss. You need, as I'm sure that you are aware, a dream journal. I also recommend Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge if you want some good tips on exercises that will help you to become lucid in a dream. It teaches you an efficient way to record dreams and recurrent dreamsigns. Once you understand your dreams better and can identify what is dreamlike about your dreams, the higher the chances of DILDs occurring. You can start by improving your dream recall, try the MILD method, suggest having lucid dreams to yourself before bedtime, perform reality checks during the day (as silly as it may seem), and be a devout dream detective in general. Soon, and with practice, you will become an experienced oneironaut! 8-)

Remember, have a relaxed approach. When you plan to have lucid dreams, extend your sleeping time. If you think you don't have enough time, you can always alter your sleeping schedule slightly in order to prolong your REM stages. The more REM, the more chances of lucidity manifesting.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck! I wish you loads of lucid dreams, my friend! ;)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Oct 2011 12:47

Opkluu you just did a WILD! I'm a natural WILDer and even when I don't choose to do a WILD I lucid dream naturally and normally. All you need to do is wait for sleep paralysis and after that you'll be having a deep sleep lucid dream- be warned you'll also have a deep sleep nightmare too. I was tested for sleep apnea last year and tried to do a WILD during polysomnogram; but could not fall into what I considered sleep. According to the tester I was asleep, so the hypnogonic state is sleep as far as sleep tests monitoring ones heart, lungs and brain are concerned. It also does not really matter what position one is in, I can WILD sleeping on my side, my back, sitting up in a chair or sitting on a stool without any back support and sleep normally in any of these positions too- I don't know why I don't fall off stools when sleeping on them.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”