I know that I'm dreaming but...

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
yogithis

Re: I know that I'm dreaming but...

Postby yogithis » 06 Oct 2011 21:51

Hi Peter,
What were you dreaming about when you decided to look for the thread?
The last two nights i've had very vivid dreams but I've not been able to become lucid as the dreams seemed so real. I need to learn how to become lucid, I can see it's going to take me while to break the habit of thinking they're real. How long did it take you to teach yourself to become lucid?

The spheres sound amazing, I've experienced similar, being the observer and the person hurtling through space. How did this dream come about? Did it just happen and you became lucid during it?
Sorry so many questions ;)

I really appreciate the responses.

Thanks
Michael

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Oct 2011 22:05

I was in a LD and had just walked out of my bedroom through the glass door and to look for this thread was one of my goals. I have seen it a few times and suspect it is always there and will make a habit of looking - might be a good reality check / cant see one now;-)
I have been able to get lucid for most of my life but did not know what it was so a few scary years until it all came together but great progress in the year of two.
I still have times where I cant get lucid so dont try and times when it is easy. It has a lot to do with how tired you are and not getting wound up if you cant.
I was lying in bed and could feel my dream body leaving my physcial body but it was stuck so I tried twistin and turning and thought of spinning and that worked wonders - I was simply in a void spinning with a sense of joy.

For some of these night I use supplements, they work for me but are not magic as you need some skill but I have had near 100% sucess with them.

Questions - ask as many as you want

peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 07 Oct 2011 17:46

Wow thanks Peter,
I have to say I feel the urge to sleep in the hope I become lucid :)

The past three nights I've had really good dreams and have become aware I'm dreaming in all of them. Flying into work was quite something but then I realised I had to get up for work! So although I was aware I was flying I wasn't lucid. Tuesday night I became aware during a dream when I realised I'd killed someone and might get caught (i've checked and thankfully it's not a bad thing...I believe them ;) ), when my rational mind kicked in I was thinking about where I could run to...I have no memory of committing the crime (your honour!). And last night when I started talking to someone and had to think I became more aware of what I was experiencing and thought it more than a little strange. All of these dreams have happened just before I have to wake up to go to work...tonight is friday so I'm hoping tomorrow morning I'll be able to fall back into the dream state and take control.

Also, I've noticed for most of my dreams I'm a passenger, there is little or no dialogue with other people. When I have to think I begin to question where I am and what I'm doing. Is this something you've encountered along the way to becoming lucid?

I definately need to practice and have more discipline with the reality checks. I think this could help with realising I'm dreaming rather than simply following the story.

I've had a few experiences over the years of my dream body being stuck and I've always been able to pull myself out of it, usually to wake up and then fall back into sleep. So the idea of twisting and spinning into the dream state will hopefully be remembered, thanks!

Do you set yourself goals for the dreams before you go to bed or do you think about them all day? That might be an idea!

I really appreciate the responses and hope to be able to make more of a contribution once I'm lucid.

Thanks
Michael

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Oct 2011 21:19

Agree - I like going to sleep and into another world, truth is without LD I would not feel alive as I do. I also think that doing reality checks become harder as the worlds get closer. You become more aware of waking reality and see wonders everywhere and with this comes an acceptance of life in its forms and then in a lucid dream any oddities are more easily accepted. Last night I was in a snow covered field with summer bulbs just emerging and I thought that cool they are growing at the wrong time of the year. I then grabbed a handful of snow and it was warm and looked more like small plastic bubbles. So I though this is why and that great. Totally missed the chance to get lucid. I had 3 great changes to get lucid and missed them - still had some fun dreams.
I think that the harder you try to get lucid with reality checks the less they work. I feel that it’s more of an intuitive leap when the question "is this right, correct, can it be" needs a conditioned response that is formed by habit rather than trying to puzzle it out. That tends to put you mind in a position to get fooled by you own logic. Classic is when in a dream and a dream character will talk you out of thinking you are in a dream. I have lost many debates to dream characters.

I try to set goals but really they are hard to think of. Meeting people, flying and what I call entertainment goals are not really for me, if I want a dream for fun I will just go there if I can and explore. The surprise of discovery is fun.
I am more interested in getting beyond the dream and my goals will tend to be "show me where I really am" or "I want to see the space between dreams". One great dream I asked to see light as energy and got an increasable experience.

Long post - hope u find it interesting

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 10 Oct 2011 20:03

Do you meditate Peter?
The awareness you speak of to recognise oddities in reality and dreams. That's an interesting point you make, in life i'm always looking and would like to think i'm quite aware. In my dreams however I'm focused very much on what is happening and very little else, I don't stop to gaze at the sky which I do constantly in the waking reality.

The past weekend I've had some fantastic dreams but I haven't become lucid to take control of anything in them, which is my goal. In many ways I want more meaning from my dreams. I do a lot of energy work, meditation and the like and the questions you ask about seeing light as energy I can experience in different trance states. It is amazing what we can experience. You've made me question my reasons for lucid dreaming as I have access to all the answers and experiences I want within my meditation.

At times I can find myself in a reoccurring dream environment which makes it more difficult to take control as there is the added familiarity. Do you find this too?

Although I'm not in control of my actions per se...where else would I be trying to stop a huge ocean liner sliding along the snow covered roads with only a broom stick in my hand???? Sometimes like you say it's nice to just enjoy the ride!

Michael

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Oct 2011 20:40

I medate at times but not that often in a normal way. On going to sleep and lying down, normally on my back I will use the same techniques as medation. Relaxing, letting go and connecting with the void is my way of putting it. Somewhere between relaxing and mediating i think.

I think that meditating might only be another way to connect to the dream word (use that term in a wide sense as it covers all aspect of altered mind states). Once in the dream and aware you can choose what to do. I also think the hard line between a LD and a not-LD in not that relevant. It appears that most people are seeking adventure, entertainment, sex etc in a LD. That is fine, no issues there but I feel that the dreams where you have an intent like one dream i posted a few days back parts of it you dont want to be aware in the sense of a LD but aware to the point you have full recall. If you ask a question it makes sense to listen for the answer, not interupt the teacher.

Recouring dreams - try listening and looking for detail hidden in the theme.

Awareness - looking in normal life and the same the dreamscape. I liken that to keeping watch on a ship and scanning the horizon for other ships. You dont look for a ship, you look for something that shouldnt be there and then zero on in the detail.

Peter

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 10 Oct 2011 22:29

Thanks Peter,

Intent. That's something I'm learning about in my life right now. Every thought and action has my intent behind it, just not always the right one! So i'm trying to learn to fix my intent on positive action and thought. I apply this to my energy work and like you say, it is important not to interupt the teacher. Many times with my trance work I will experience revelations which at the time astound me but once out of the state I can't recall all the detail but know I've been taught something on an energy level that will benefit me.

As for the reoccurring dreams and details...that's where I struggle. I get too engrossed with what's happening in the dream to stop and consider anything else. To me this is what Lucidicty really means in dreams. To then make conscious decisions to meet the higher forces and communicate with them. All too often in my dreams I don't seem to have that awareness with me.

As for looking for something that shouldn't be there I was dreaming about a huge ocean liner floating on snow covered roads...to me it felt so right at the time!?!!!

But I have a new plan for this week so we'll see how I progress.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I really aprreciate them.

Michael

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”