Some senses are shut off for me

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
fuzzylogic

Some senses are shut off for me

Postby fuzzylogic » 09 Oct 2011 16:32

I have found that my sense of hearing and sight are perfect in my dream world. I see the most vivid colors and hear sounds perfectly. Unfortunately my sense of smell and taste are totally switched off. My sense of touch is strange because I can feel touch sensation but can feel no pain and no sexual stimulation at all.

I am expecting that this is how may brain is "wired".

I have read a lot on this site about wonderful tastes. I love food and would love to experience the full range of tastes in my dreams.

Should I expect that this will change when I have a fully developed LD? Should I be able to taste or feel pain?

Are there others reading this that have found the same sensory limitations I have? And if so, did those limitations change when experiencing LD?

Summerlander

Re: Some senses are shut off for me

Postby Summerlander » 09 Oct 2011 17:56

Everything we experience is a product of the mind. If your brain can accurately translate what happens in the external world, and you experience taste and smell in wakefulness in all its glory, then this is possible in dreams, too. All you have to do is believe/expect and make the effort to experience through those senses. Turn them on!

Often, when I practice WILDs I separate from the body to find a dark spatiality. I am then able to touch objects around me but I can't see them. Then, I rub my hands and blow on them and this almost always turns my vision on. What results is usually an inaccurate replica of my bedroom and the rest of my house which I am then able to explore.

Sensory amplification is possible in lucid dreams and techniques that you can use to do this usually prolong the experience too.

Touch dream objects and feel their surfaces. Peer at them and study their details if you wish to intensify the realism (although you have no problem with vision). Smell flowers and expect to smell something. Taste dream food and appreciate how much more delicious it can be than real food. Listen out for anything, like planes flying overhead, someone talking in another room, the wind etc.

You can also have mind-blowing sex by simply believing that you can. If you fantasise about a married celebrity, for example, your wish to go on a date with them becomes true in a lucid dream. You may kiss them and taste their lips in all its realism. Try it.

Sensory amplification will ground you to dreamland!

If you think about it, even when we are awake, we select which senses to focus on. Someone could be talking to us, but, if we are reading and engrossed in the book material, we are not listening. Likewise, we might be eating while watching telly but, especially when the program is interesting, we might not even remember what the food tasted like.

I hope this helps! Have confidence that anything is possible in your lucid dreams and no matter how real the barriers seem to be, they are illusions and you can break them.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 09 Oct 2011 22:17

Thanks Summer. I'll stick with and and get those other senses turned on.

Like I said- taste is one of my favorite things in the awake world. It would be nice if it functioned in dreamland.

And of course having full sensation awareness would occasionally come in handy too! :o

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 10 Oct 2011 20:48

And of course having full sensation awareness would occasionally come in handy too!

Absolutely. The lucid dream state can be deepened. "Deepening" involves techniques that induce realistic perception and awareness in lucid dreams. It is a term that Michael Raduga uses when he teaches his pupils about inducing and managing the lucid dream state.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”