the harder I work, the behinder I get

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
fuzzylogic

the harder I work, the behinder I get

Postby fuzzylogic » 09 Oct 2011 14:43

BTW- This is my fist post to this great site.

I've had what I would call semi-lucid dreams all my life.

By this I mean that once or twice a week since teenage years (I'm in fifties now) I've had dreams where I knew I was asleep and I could partially control things. Flying has always been easy for example. But I've never acknowledged lucidity verbally in my dream. For some reason I've always had the sense that if acknowledged, I would immediately wake up.

My dream recall has always been pretty good. I can remember at least parts of at least one dream most days when I awake. More if I awake at night.

Recently found this fantastic site, and for the last few days I have been trying to take more control and explore this a bit more.

Here's the rub. I normally have no problem falling asleep and get about 8 hours of sleep every night. However- the more I try to use technique, the harder it is to fall asleep and the less sleep I get,,, what with getting up at night and writing down dream details and laying there forcing myself to stay awake and waiting for my body to fall asleep.

As I work on trying WILD techniques I am finding that I am slipping into non-lucid sleep for very short periods (15 minutes) and then re-awaking. The result is a whole series of disjointed dreams and generally a non-relaxing night.

Interesting though: I am finding that in at least one dream a night, I am acknowledging lucid dreaming. Last night I said to a dream character after a false awakening that "I had a good nap with dreams but they weren't lucid". So I am aware that lucid dreams exist while I am dreaming, I just don't know that I am dreaming... In another dream I said to myself, "I usually dream stuff like this but in this case it is real".

I am doing reality checks during the day but obviously it isn't happening in my dreams. The only reality check I've ever done in my dreams is when I'm flying I occasionally say "oh, obviously I'm dreaming".

Feel like I may be pushing too hard, and trying to many different approaches (WILD, reality checks, etc).

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Maybe I just need to be patient and stick with it. At this rate I'm afraid that I have to choose between a good night's sleep, or a bad night's sleep trying and failing to be lucid...

Frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Peter

Re: the harder I work, the behinder I get

Postby Peter » 09 Oct 2011 18:20

Dont be so conecerned about a wild. you may be winding yourself up trying and its only one way. There is nothing better or best about a WILD, its just one way to get a result. Go back to what was working and put some effort into reality checks for a while

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”