Meditation techniques

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
dylan101

Meditation techniques

Postby dylan101 » 12 Oct 2011 07:04

So ive been trying self hypnosis before bed for a week bu i just dont thin its working. So im going to try meditation before bed.
Now on this site i have seen so many different ways to meditate.
This is what i have been doing:
1. I lay on my back and do the thing where you focus on a body part(toes for example) and make it melt into the mattress.
2. once im relaxed i count from 100 and say im dreaming. 100-im dreaming 99-im dreaming.
3. After this i start visualizing where i want to be and what i want to be doing. Normally just visualise me walking on a beach or a past dream.
4. then after this i normally fall asleep.

Ok so here are my questions;
1. Is my technique that im doing a good one?
2. Can you please tell me any other techniques or what you do while meditating.
3. Would this be a good thing to do when attempting a wild. And if so would i do this for Step1(relaxtion) and step2(hypnagogia) or just step 1.

Many thanks, dylan :D :D :D

fineganswaker

Re: Meditation techniques

Postby fineganswaker » 12 Oct 2011 20:27

dylan101,

Just a few comments from a fellow layman, since I'm more or less using the same technique to induce a WILD (with not much success, unfortunately)

dylan101 wrote:1. Is my technique that im doing a good one?

From everything I've read on this technique, I'd say you're on the right track. The only thing I'd ask is when during the night you're trying out this technique? If you're doing your meditating / LD induction technique at the beginning of the night it's going to be harder to become lucid, simply because this isn't the sweet spot in the night for REM sleep.

If you're not already doing this, you might want to couple your meditation method with the WBTB technique, where you sleep for five or six hours, then get up for awhile, and then go back to bed and try to induce a LD.

As I understand it, the WBTB technique gives you two pluses. First, you'll be all set to hit your sweet spot for REM sleep; and staying up for a little while (they say the sweet spot for that is about an hour or so) will charge you up for bringing your conscious mind into the sleep state.

dylan101 wrote:3. Would this be a good thing to do when attempting a wild

Absolutely, but I've actually had better luck using this technique with DILDs.

The problem as I see it with WILD is that it's a bit of a balancing act. As I understand it, the fulcrum you want to balance on is to bring just enough conscious awareness to become lucid while still being asleep. Some folks seem to be naturally good at this (some people can tight-rope walk too), but for me so far there seems to be a type of barrier to WILDing right around when hypnogogia kicks in. I either just fall fast asleep, and start dreaming at some later time, or keeping up my counting and "I'm dreaming" mantra will jerk me right back into being fully awake (and RCs will show it's not a false awakening).

However, some of those "later" dreams have sometimes become lucid for me. If not, though, I tend to have pretty good dream recall when I do finally wake up for the night (last night was a good example).

If you still need more into, check out LaBerge's book. He's got an entire chapter on WILD technique and covers WBTB as well.

As far as "other techniques" you might also want to try making meditation part of your daily waking day as well. You can either do a formal, 20-minute TM style practice--or just do some deep breathing and relaxation at different times during the day--just kind of checking in with yourself. The goal is just to try to clear your mind of all the daily clutter for a little while. Believe it or not, the results can be amazing, and can really supercharge your night for LDing.

Best of luck on all this. It's tricky stuff--I know! ;)

--FW

dylan101

Postby dylan101 » 13 Oct 2011 07:12

Thanks for the reply,

To answer your question i do the counting meditation before bed. But it says to do it before bed.

And i also do daily meditation with isochronic tones off youtube or with free samples.
Also you said normal TM style meditation. What is that exactly?

Many thanks,
Dylan

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 13 Oct 2011 20:13

dylan101 wrote:To answer your question i do the counting meditation before bed. But it says to do it before bed.

No, that's great that you're doing this type of meditation before bed (couldn't hurt!), but again, if you're not exactly getting the desired results you might want to try it with the WBTB technique later in the night as well. I'm pretty sure our hostess, Rebecca, has an article or two on this web site here that provides some background info on the technique.

LaBerge in his book mentions that its important to personalize your methods, and I think that's good advice. So don't hesitate to mess around with different techniques or change things around to suit your needs or desires.

dylan101 wrote:And i also do daily meditation with isochronic tones off youtube or with free samples.
Also you said normal TM style meditation. What is that exactly?

Well, I was just referring to any formal method of meditating. I learned meditation a long time ago from the Transcendental Meditation folks. Their method is to do two 20-minute sessions per day--religiously. It's basically a mantra-based technique as opposed to, say, counting breaths or using some other technique. I've strayed very far from using this technique over the years and am no longer a regular meditator at all.

thomas

Postby thomas » 01 Nov 2011 16:34

Hi - I have meditated for a long time and that is how I discovered hypnogogic images. I use a guided meditation for relaxation that then turns into only calm music. I have been able to have only one WILD from this and that was when I was really tired and didn't get much sleep the night before. If you find yourself in a sleep deprived state you might try this at bedtime. Who knows, it might just work.

Thomas

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”