Missed RC - Reverse lucid dream!?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
fineganswaker

Missed RC - Reverse lucid dream!?

Postby fineganswaker » 20 Oct 2011 18:28

Thought I'd post this odd incident that happened to me just last night that--once again--shows how strongly the dreaming state becomes (or at least seems like) our reality when we're in it.

I'm sure this has happened to a lot of you LDers as well, so you can probably relate...

My dreams have been particularly vivid lately, and I had a couple of LDs just this past weekend. Last night was a very intense night for non-lucid dreams.

I can't quite recall the exact details surrounding the incident, but at one point I either saw something or was doing something in one of the dreams, and I said to myself something like "Now, if I were DREAMING right now--I could (do this task or change this object into) something I could use to become lucid--Hey, TOO BAD I'M AWAKE AND NOT DREAMING"!!!

The dream just seemed that real, even though nothing in the dream had any relationship to my waking reality.

I also had a couple other dreams where I missed a number of my very strong dreamsigns--including one of them that caused one of the LDs I had just this past weekend--rats!

So it goes,

--FW

Peter

Re: Missed RC - Reverse lucid dream!?

Postby Peter » 20 Oct 2011 20:22

I put this in another post yesterday, It was the start of a LD and a very long and interesting one but at his stage It was real I spent a lot of time trying to get the door closed. It didnt help that at home I have a shed door that does the same thing and so it was beliveable. I also used the light switch on the wall as it was dark in the motel and it didnt work. Still didnt get it but held the state and after a bit I did and away I went into an adventure.

They are so real because they are real, thats the issue. I think we need to lose the idea of real and think of states, awake and like this, asleep and like that. When it al becomes familar due to experiance we need to dig a little deeper into how to use dreamsigns or understand states.

I was in a motel last night and the door would not close and lock. It annoyed the hell out of me and it was in late in the evening, bad light and I had 2 bags of food in my hands so couldn’t get to the light switch to see what was happening. I really struggled to get the door shut tight - was I dreaming or not?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 20 Oct 2011 21:21

Yes dreams feel real, and yes maybe they ARE real, but listen to what I dreamt last light and tell me why I didn't recognise it as a dream state.

I was part of a consulting company and we were doing a business analysis at a resort. The first day we went in to interview the personnel to get a better picture of what was going right and wrong.

We met with the resort manager. He happened to be Leonardo DiCaprio. So far so good, right?

Well it turns our boy Leo is just a head. His head is mounted in a silver cup like thing the size of a roller skate. It had four wheels.

So he is wheeling around, telling his staff what to do and running his hotel. A head with no body.

Now I ask you, how could I be so dense as to NOT know this was a dream?

So, yes, that fact that it feels "real" is part of what makes dreams so convincing,, but I'm thinking a huge factor is the type of dream haze that we are in, that impairs judgement and generally makes us oblivious. When you go lucid, that haze goes away. Then the absurdity of a head in a roller skate would be obvious I assume.

All of which means, unfortunately I think we are going to miss many more opportunities than we take advantage of to become lucid.

For me personally- of the dozen or so lucid dreams I've had over the years, I've never said to myself, "that's crazy, I must be dreaming" (I'm working on doing that but it hasn't happened yet). Whenever I go lucid it is because a light bulb went on in my though process and I just spontaneously became aware that I was dreaming.

If one of the more experienced LDers on the forum disagrees on the "dream haze" theory, please,,, set me straight.

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Oct 2011 23:07

It feels real because of the state you are in, getting objective or engaging your conscious self so you can recognize the you are dreaming is very hard. It takes practise and it will change as you get more accustomed to the dream world. There is no easy answer and after a lifetime of LD I still find it very hard to see dream signs. What I can do is control the dream state very well and stay there a long time when I do enter the state of being conscious while being fully asleep.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 21 Oct 2011 11:05

Peter-

Tell me more about controlling dream state and staying there for a while.

I had two lucid dreams last night. In both I was definitely excited. Running around, trying to get people to talk to me.

In the second I used hand rubbing, clarity now statement and finally spinning. Everything was sharp and clear.

Did some flying about. Saw a couple people I know but they didn't respond.

In both cases I awoke after a few minutes exhilarated but frustrated.

Feel like I'm too excited and undisciplined in my approach.

Suggestions would be welcomed.

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 21 Oct 2011 20:03

fuzzylogic,

Sounds like you're pretty much where I'm at, which is dealing with dream control after becoming lucid. And it can be frustrating since right now I'm only getting lucid a few times a month.

Limiting excitement is definitely one of the elements towards gaining better control--but it's hard not to get excited. But a certain amount of excitement--or maybe just heightened awareness--does seem to be necessary. I've had at least one LD where I kept my cool to the point where I lost lucidity.

So another balancing act...

Another thing I've been noticing lately in my more recent LDs is that it feels like a huge amount of energy is being spent in the process of staying lucid. It's an odd and very tiring feeling. When the lucidity ends, it almost feels like a great relief to me, like a weight is being lifted--and this, to say the least, is NOT the desired effect!

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this experience, and what they might have done to limit it?

Peter

Postby Peter » 21 Oct 2011 20:43

On entering the LD I simply wait and observe for a moment and see what is around me. This seeing is not always with my eyes open, it’s like seeing images in the mind’s eye not with your eyes. After a bit I will open my eyes in the dream and see what is around me. I will work on this and get a better description as I am not quite on the mark with it.

Staying lucid is hard at first and I think focusing on just one event or issue is plenty. I went to my hands 4 or 5 times at least a few nights back. I simply look at them and see what they are like, shape, colour and size. This is plenty and using sight so you get to focus on one sense, next I will put one hand into and through the other. This always amazes me as you poke a finger or hand in and through the other hand. I get a tingling sensation like I have passed through an electric field and in some way most likely have. I get the same feeling when going through any solid matter in a dream. Windows, walls, I really like disappearing into the ground and especially rock. It takes a lot of belief to penetrate rock and a lot of confidence to feel ok about it.

Anyway the looking at hands and poking a hand or one finger at a time is a nice simple way to get focus and control emotion and this I think is the key to holding and sustaining a LD.

I also get very tired after a long dream but am lucky that I can get rest during the day if I need it. It’s a small price to pay and really most people are tired anyway from stress of daily life so being tired from a LD is a gift.

Peter

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”