Finally a lucid dream!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
thomas

Finally a lucid dream!

Postby thomas » 26 Oct 2011 17:45

Hello - just had my first lucid dream last night. I have had spontaneous ones but this is the first induced. I had done my meditation - which I do every night before sleep and I decided to try the counting backwards from 100 and then say "I am dreaming". When I hit 86 or so I started having hypnogogic images. The first one I saw was a 2- lane road extending over the horizon. No cars. It had beautiful scenery on each side. I tried to will myself onto the road but it didn't happen - the image faded. The next thing I saw was a cougar face, it took up my whole "screen". It faded in and out and I wasn't sure how to interact with it. The next one was a moving scene of a helicopter crashing - didn't want to enter that one. This one repeated itself three times. Finally I saw an outside scene of a man climbing a staircase of about 30 steps. They were outside steps leading into a building. The man looked to be about 25 - 30 years of age. I thought I will try to imagine being at the steps and seeing what they were made of. All of a sudden I was in the dream and at the bottom of the steps! Yeah! I was fully aware that I had just left the waking world and entered a dream. I was getting ready to stabilize the dream (it felt very light - as in light sleep) when I looked up. The man had stopped in the middle of the staircase and was smiling at me. He then said "Welcome". Needless to say I got really excited and yes, you guessed it, I woke up. The whole dream I would say lasted probably 10 sec. or so.

So, finally after 3 months of trying I have found the technique that works for me! Phew, I was getting to thinks it wasn't going to happen. In any event, I wanted to share this with you guys, the tips you provided really helped. Thanks a million!!!

Thomas

fuzzylogic

Re: Finally a lucid dream!

Postby fuzzylogic » 27 Oct 2011 11:39

Thanks for the post Thomas. I would really like to learn to enter a dream directly this way but I have found that I can't make that jump from images to entering the dream. Seems like any effort on my part to "force" myself into the dream makes it disappear. I think learning to make that move delicately enough is the whole trick. Sounds like you may have figured it out.

If you come up with more thoughts/tips on how you do it, please share them. I'm guessing it's like riding a bike or learning to whistle. It's seems very hard when you are trying to learn, but once you do it a few times, it's no big deal.

thomas

Postby thomas » 28 Oct 2011 00:35

Hi fuzzylogic - I saw somewhere on one of the posts here that when you see an image with an edge (i.e. a table, wall etc.)try to pull yourself into the image/dream by pulling on the edge. That didn't work for me so I thought about trying to concentrate on one part of the image. In my instance, the steps. It worked. I tried the technique again last night but nothing happened. Don't specifically know why not, or what I did right the first time. Frustrating. Maybe I was really tired and sleep deprived the successful night. (I was.) Lots of variables. I do know that I see lots of hypnogogic images and I'm really grateful for that - at least I have something to work with. I do know that it took me about a year of consistent meditating before I began to see those. Didn't know at the time what they were until I researched it. In any event, if you are successful "stepping" into a dream - let me know how you did it. In the meantime I'll keep trying and let you know if I get any better idea of how I did it.

Thomas

Oh, just thought of something, don't know if it means anything or not - I am really a visual person. That is like my primary sense. Maybe people who are more auditory might try "hearing" something to get into the dream. Don't know. Just a thought. Anybody else got any ideas/experience on that?

thomas

Postby thomas » 28 Oct 2011 01:43

Fuzzylogic - just thought of something else too - right before I went into the dream I decided to call it quits and just go to sleep. At the last moment,with a very relaxed mind - so to speak, I gave it one last shot and it worked. So - as it has been said many times in several posts, maybe I was trying too hard and when I quit trying and relaxed it happened. Food for thought. I'll attempt again tonight, hopefully with a more relaxed mind. (easier said than done).

Thomas

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 28 Oct 2011 13:25

I definitely think the big thing here is to not try too hard. And I think that's exactly what I'm doing. That's why the only thing that works for me is sleeping normally and THEN getting lucid.

When I'm seeing images (not dreams yet) they are 2D. It's like looking at a picture, which is obviously not a 3D dream. I keep thinking, whenever this changes to 3D I'm in a dream and I can "join in". But I haven't seen that switch. I always see the image fade or change to something else. And eventually I end up with nothing, just laying there, or I end up eventually finding myself in a normal dream. I must have slept through the transition..

So the thought I have is- do I wait until I get 3D and real dream before joining? or try and join while it is a picture? So far when I try "entering" a picture it immediately goes away.

Let's keep at it and sharing any ideas that we come up with.

thomas

Postby thomas » 29 Oct 2011 00:26

Hi again - don't have a lot of information as I'm new to this. However, the images I see are definitely 2-D. Sometimes they are like watching a movie, but still 2-D. It didn't become 3-D until I entered the dream. I've never seen them in 3-D and I've been watching them for a few years now. Could they become 3-D? Interesting point you made. If possible, I'm guessing It would be easier to step into. Maybe someone with more experience in the WILD technique could give some pointers.

I haven't had any success at becoming lucid while in a dream (except spontaneously in the past). I've tried different techniques but none have seemed to work. What do you do? I've got that book on lucid dreaming ordered and a sports watch that beeps on the hour to remind me to do reality checks. After I get the watch I might also wear it to sleep at night if the beep isn't too loud and see if hearing it while I sleep might trigger more awareness in a dream. Hopefully it won't wake me up. I am also trying on not trying to hard (ha,ha) We'll see - I'll keep you posted.

Thomas

fuzzylogic

Postby fuzzylogic » 29 Oct 2011 01:35

The only suggestion I could give you is this:

The best method I have found is to wake-back-to-sleep. I get up in the middle of the night (about 3am works for me) and watch a little TV or read or post on the computer like this, and after about 30 minutes go back to bed. Then before trying to go to sleep, remind yourself that you want to become lucid and what you want to do when lucid. I get about 1 lucid dream a week using this method.

thomas

Postby thomas » 29 Oct 2011 03:08

I'll give that a try but not for the next couple nights - have to get up at 0400 to get to work. I've tried the WBTB before but I didn't stay up for 30 minutes, maybe about 10. I'll try again. Thanks.

Thomas

megabjarne

Postby megabjarne » 23 Nov 2011 21:57

I had my first (and only so far) lucid dream a couple of days ago, after two weeks i was starting to give up:( but then
One night i had kind of a nightmare, but i thougt it was weird and tried a reality check, and it worked, i have tried almost
All the methods whitout results, so if you are patient you will eventually get a lucid dream every now and then.

thomas

Postby thomas » 23 Nov 2011 23:18

I think you're doing great if you had a lucid dream after two weeks! It took me about 3 months. Guess everybody is different. Thanks for the post -

Thomas

Return to “For Beginners”