Last Night's Fun

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
fineganswaker

Last Night's Fun

Postby fineganswaker » 28 Oct 2011 20:54

Instead of going into every little detail of last night's dreams themselves, I'm going to give y'all a type of dream "report" (don't want to bore you guys to tears with a lot of details!). I'll try to keep it as small as possible--but a lot went on last night!

Overview: Two LDs piggy-backed on successive REM cycles during the morning hours just before getting up (6:30 - 7:30?).

Induction methods: Both DILDs (one a FILD). WBTB earlier in the night (around 4:30 am) after vivid non-lucid dream (involving meeting guitarist Derek Trucks at a music store!) that I recalled as soon as I woke up. After I had as much of this dream "down" as possible, I got up for a bathroom break and stretch, then went back to bed and laid there for awhile. Then worked on WILD techniques, counting with "I'm dreaming" mantra, "pot-shaped" breathing technique. Lots of hypnogogic images, sounds, and dreamlets--but couldn't enter the dream state directly. Instead I just eventually fell asleep.

LD#1 hotspots: (1) Spontaneous lucidity, but there wasn't the normal "Oh, this is a dream rush". Instead there was just an awareness of being lucid--very hard to describe. (2) In this dream I ended up chasing after a dream figure, begging it to engage with me in conversation--it would have nothing to do with me and at one point ran through a door and slammed it shut. (3) I took up the chase and decided to will myself through this door instead of opening it (which would have taken too much time). I went right through it effortlessly. The interesting thing about this is that, before I did it, it felt as if I'd prepped for it by instantaneously reviewing all things I've read (including information from this web site) on how to do it--but it was as if the review took place via a firewire connection! Again, an instantaneous review as I was performing the feat! (4) On the other side of the door I saw the dream figure again, now slightly morphed, but still running away from me not wanting to interact at all. I called repeatedly to it to not be afraid, saying "please", saying that I wouldn't hurt it--but it just kept running away. It also would not show its face. (5) This was very frustrating and I thought this is a figure in *my* dream--why can't I control it and make it stop and talk!?; but (6) just as fast an odd--very odd notion came to me: What if this dream figure is actually someone else having this dream as well--or a slightly different version of it? And what if this dream figure actually sees ME as some kind of menacing presence!? --So, I broke off the chase. And as I thought Ok, now what? I woke up. (7) I realize then that I could've prolonged the LD by spinning or some other method--so I need to work on remember dream control methods.

LD#2 Hotspots: I am walking up the stairs to the landing of my "house". The dream is very, very vivid and I do not think I'm dreaming at all. As I turn the handle of the door, for some reason I decide to do a reality check. I tried the finger poke method and was amazed when it went right through my hand very "ghost-like". (1) This was the first LD I've had as a result of an RC, and the realization that I was actually dreaming was, to say the least, mind-blowing. Inside the "house" I start floating around, mostly on my back. I also continued to put my hands through different parts of my bod to watch that "ghost" effect happen. All of this gave me a great, giddy feeling. (2) I remembered a language test I wanted to do and called out the name of a person I'd like to get in touch with. The name rang out loud and clear and was not garbled in any way (So the language centers don't completely break down in dreams!, I thought). 3 Then I remembered Rebecca's recent article where she mentions a method of looking "around a corner" as a technique for making dream figures appear. I looked around a corner of my "kitchen" to see if the person was there, but no dice (need to work on that I guess!). (4) I float around some more, but at some point I get this odd, forlorn feeling--a feeling I sometimes get in LDs. It's sort of a sadness--a feeling that the LD world is huge and vast--and a little bit lonely. This is a fleeting feeling though as I (5) decide to ask the dream itself something (the Waggoner technique). The question isn't well-formed though, so I get no response. I hear noises in a back room that are disturbing (but not menacing). I worry that they might cause the lucidity to fade, so (6) I ask the dream again to make them stop--or at least tell me how I can stop them. This question is well-formed, but still the dream doesn't respond. This seems odd and frustrating to me--but also interesting. The noises get louder and I do suddenly wake up.

Questions: See item (4) in LD2 Have any of you experienced this type of emotion in an LD? I find it to be an interesting reaction since, LDing is most often accompanied with the feeling of elation. The feeling is also interesting in that it's not something I want to personally get rid of (not detrimental to the overall LD experience). As a matter of fact I'd like to explore it further. It's also very hard to describe--words don't do it justice. It feels like something that's part 'n parcel of the LD world (or maybe it's just something way down in my twisted, nocturnal psyche--or both!).

My apologies for the length of this post! I was trying to keep it down, but did not, apparently, do a very good job!

TIA for any input on last night's fun!

--FW

Peter

Re: Last Night's Fun

Postby Peter » 29 Oct 2011 02:21

I used get feelings of dread in a LD, they were horrid and went right to core of your being. It all changed when I accepted these feelings and instead of fighting them or letting them overwelm me just accept them like you would accept warm feelings. They then became tools to me as I would move to other dream scenes instead of waking up feeling uneasy

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 31 Oct 2011 19:34

Thanks for weeding through all the verbiage and providing feedback, Peter!

That's where I'm at with this odd feeling. It seems to be useful and really interesting--something to explore--and not avoid. And, yes, also a potential tool for future use.

To a large extent I'm convinced that this feeling comes about simply from a confusion over all the potential that's being offered in a LD. Like 52 flavors--which one to choose? Only here the number of flavors is, potentially, infinite. It's a small hurdle from just being a little overwhelmed--and it's interesting to me how it passes just as quickly as it comes.

By the way, I'd really like to hear more about your history as an LD'er. Like how long you've been at it. If you're were a natural at. How you worked on induction techniques and control early on in your experience.

How often to you have LDs, say, per month? Are you at the point where you can pretty much have them at will?

As always, TIA!

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Nov 2011 03:13

I will give a fuller answer later as just home from a trip. As far as feelings go or anything really I try not to place anything in any context. Our (my) frame of referance is from normal life and that is to my mind the most horrid programming due to what I call the burden of culture or good/bad, hot/cold and any response that we attach to an experiance. What I try to do is ignore feelings and just proceed without putting them in a box, on the edge of my comfort zone and enjoy all that comes along. Its like I am scared but what is wrong with that so I embrace the feeling and try to grow from it.

A longwinded sort of answer but thats how I come to terms and how I intend to move beyond the basic dream. I think it will just get more intense the further in you go

Petet
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”