hypnagogic images or lucid dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
thomas

hypnagogic images or lucid dream?

Postby thomas » 12 Nov 2011 01:34

I need some help from you guys. Last night I was meditating - as I always do and started seeing images. This is common for me. However, I started seeing music. I saw 2 lines of musical notes. It was very clear and just scrolling down. I am a violinist and so I am used to reading music. I thought "That's cool, wish I could see the key signature". But by then it had faded. But it reappeared and it zoomed to the key signature. It then zoomed back out and scrolled down again. It again faded and reappeared. The third time it did not zoom in to the key signature but just scrolled down. All three times the music notes were identical. It did not come back again so I decided to get up and write it all down. It was just two lines so not too hard to remember. Now, since I am a violinist I tend to think this was retrieved from my memory but I don't consciously remember this melody. It's a nice one. I was excited to play it to hear what it sounded like. I don't compose. I read the dots.

My question is this - do you all think it was imagery or a lucid dream? I didn't feel like I was asleep. I have often seen repeating imagery but nothing that I could control - as in zooming into the key signature. That is what makes me question this.

Thanks, Thomas

Peter

Re: hypnagogic images or lucid dream?

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2011 03:01

without putting it in context what may have happned is that you have used the language of music to create and are lucky that it makes sense and can be played. Not a lot differant from seeing letters making random words but they may not make any sense
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 12 Nov 2011 05:33

This is light sleep with typical non rem dream images. I personally did not count this as sleep either as one can wake up by moving or opening ones eyes; but I was tested for sleep apnea and this light sleep counts as sleep as far as the tests go. Technically this is a low level WILD rather than a lucid dream.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

thomas

Postby thomas » 13 Nov 2011 03:34

Thank you both for your input! I think it's interesting that my mind switched to another language (music) in the images. This was the first time that it happened.

I do have another question - how does one goes from a "low level WILD" to a full blown WILD? Snaggle - maybe you can give me some ideas. I have had only one induced lucid dream and it was a WILD. I have had zero success with the other techniques - and I have been at this for a few months now. I'm not giving up and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 13 Nov 2011 20:05

sooner or later in light sleep one will naturally enter atonia in which one body turns off, I normally only experience this as just a dream image of a waterfall or instantly growing tree, however, I have gone into atonia directly without the brain being at all asleep/dreaming. What happens in this state is that electrical impulses are flowing from the base of ones brain throughout the body; the body is not paralyzed when this happens. During a Wild one crosses into deep/ or rem sleep almost instantly from atonia.

One in deep sleep the dreams become more complex, more dynamic and emotionally intense. While in light sleep they're often just images, slide shows or passive like TV shows in deep sleep they're stage like or alternate world like. In contrast to what is normally said, atonia is not paralysis of the body so it will not act out, instead Rem sleep is entertainment for the brain so it will not act out while the body sleeps.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

thomas

Postby thomas » 14 Nov 2011 03:23

Thank you for your insights/information. I seem to hit the light sleep really well - images, slide shows and "movies". I'll keep at it and see what happens next. Hopefully another WILD. I've only had one and I'm not sure what I did that induced it. But on the bright side - at least I had one. I can keep going from there.

Thanks, Thomas

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”