LD:What's your life like when you're not with me in a dream?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
lucidinthe sky

LD:What's your life like when you're not with me in a dream?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 31 May 2013 18:45

Had a fantastic lucid dream last night where I actually asked a DC that question (I'll get to that later). This one was one of the absolute best and most real yet. I continuously had doubts during the entire thing which was also very long.

The dream characters are talkative, interesting and not the usual zombies. I’m having trouble as usual believing it’s a dream because everything is so real and I’m touching things and trying to get my bearings. Still, just can't get used to whole thing. Inside of building and there is this huge television screen on the wall that’s turned on. I have an air rifle in my hand, like the kind my brother had when I was kid and he had showed me how to use it then. I look at the TV screen and think to myself, “O.K. if this a dream, I could just shoot that screen right? It’s only a dream so I should be able to do it. But everything is too real, what if I’m wrong?” I have to get up the courage to do it because I am worried that I might be wrong. Do another RC and look at my hands. One finger is missing, but the hand still looks fairly real. I pump up the gun, feels completely real, everything about it. The new pellets I have don’t fit but I find an old one is in the chamber already. Start having hesitation again, then decide to pull the trigger, O.K. here goes! Immediately hear someone to my right side yell in pain “Ouch, you hit me.” The television screen is still intact but the pellet has ricocheted off the screen and hit a DC sitting off to the side of it. The DC is in pain, but doesn’t appear to be angry at me. The pellet hit the DC’s wrist bone which has turned red and swollen. The arm is already in a sling from some other injury. The DC tells me it will be alright, not to worry.
The DC seems very much like a normal person, very responsive, not the usual zombie so I decide to ask some questions. “O.K. we’re in a dream right now and none of this is real. But when you are not sitting with me in a dream what is the rest of your life like? Do you have a job somewhere?” The DC immediately explains it’s job in detail, no hesitation and very quickly: “I work for an insurance company, 2 days a week.” Then the DC names the exact town where the office is. It's close to where I live. “I work 2 days there and go in on weekends to another city where the company is based because we are changing our computer system right now.” I asked the DC to repeat everything and got it all a second time. Exactly the same, very detailed.
Then I ask the DC, “So what are we doing here anyway?” The DC gives me a strange answer: “Falling in love on national TV?” I wonder to myself someone's watching this I ask, half laughing “Are we?” The DC says “I wish” Then I say “We could.” Then I woke myself up, don't really know why. But it was great dream and I'm very encouraged that the DCs are getting to be so more more like normal people in my dreams.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Re: LD:What's your life like when you're not with me in a dr

Postby HAGART » 31 May 2013 22:47

That's what I love about this site. Sometimes I get a great lucid dream and can't explain it to anybody I know, because they don't know what I'm talking about. But I know what your talking about, and keep in mind that this is all my opinion.

Have you noticed how all the occurrences happen after you had a strong emotion.

When you shot the screen you were hesitant that someone may get hurt, then 'BOOM', someone shows up who is hurt. Not by you, you shot the screen. But then you reasoned that it must have ricocheted and validated your first thought. You FELT like that was going to happen and you feared it. Then it happened. It's the 'Murphy's Law' of lucid dreams.

Were you attracted to the DC? (It happens a lot). That would explain its flirtation. It was acting on an emotion you were already feeling.

As for the actual words they use and why, that is still a mystery to me. But I've noticed that my emotions dictate the dream more than anything else. They are more subconscious and beyond my cognitive mind. ( I mean try and feel happy when you are sad through shear logic with a rational mind.... it doesn't happen!)

So although thinking with a lucid, cognitive mind, emotions on the 'back burner' of our subconscious are the ones truly in control in a lucid dream.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Jun 2013 01:46

lucidinthe sky wrote: Start having hesitation again, then decide to pull the trigger, O.K. here goes! Immediately hear someone to my right side yell in pain “Ouch, you hit me.” The television screen is still intact but the pellet has ricocheted off the screen and hit a DC sitting off to the side of it. The DC is in pain, but doesn’t appear to be angry at me. The pellet hit the DC’s wrist bone which has turned red and swollen. The arm is already in a sling from some other injury.

I agree with what HAGGART said.. your fear over pulling that trigger and "maybe the DCS are real" caused one of them then to be hit but I dont think that was the only reason why it occurred. Its also the subconsciousness twice giving off the same message being symbolised by (let me guess), my guess would be it was the "left" arm which was hurt. (left would be for female.. so yourself would usually be symbolised by the left with that, as I think you carry a lot of female energy).

wrists.. can be to do with flexibility (trying to be too flexible? or not being flexable enough?). Maybe some anger around this "red and swollen"
Bone= structure or base of things in your life
arm= something you reach out with .. so could indicate trouble reaching your life goals, or not reaching out to grab them (Could also mean missed opportunties?) etc.
" The DC gives me a strange answer: “Falling in love on national TV?" Could represent you are romantic at heart.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Jun 2013 07:11

Tania and Hagart: Thanks for the thoughtful input.

HAGART wrote:That's what I love about this site. Sometimes I get a great lucid dream and can't explain it to anybody I know, because they don't know what I'm talking about. But I know what your talking about, and keep in mind that this is all my opinion.

Have you noticed how all the occurrences happen after you had a strong emotion.

When you shot the screen you were hesitant that someone may get hurt, then 'BOOM', someone shows up who is hurt. Not by you, you shot the screen. But then you reasoned that it must have ricocheted and validated your first thought. You FELT like that was going to happen and you feared it. Then it happened. It's the 'Murphy's Law' of lucid dreams.

I was very hesitant to do the whole thing because my lucid dreams are so real for me, but I wanted to do something I would never do in waking life just to prove to myself it was a dream. It was really hard to do. And like you say, I just knew something bad was going to happen. And of course dreams are the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecy. It's so amazing though, here you are in some unknown place with people and buildings and everything else you would see in waking life. Every one of my senses is telling me that this is normal reality, but then I "know" it's only a dream. So you have this idea in your head it's a dream, and 5 senses telling you "no, that's wrong". Knowing it in your head is one thing, but then the entire experience is going on around telling you something different. I want to trust those 5 senses and honestly, I get really confused and sometimes just wake myself up because the whole thing seems impossible. Of course I realize that we are creating all of of this in our heads, this place and these people aren't actually real but the experience is identical to waking life reality. I keep looking for differences and don't see them. And in this dream the DCs seemed to go out of their way to make themselves even more real. So then it's like, O.K. I'm just going to play along with this and see where it goes. You act like and say you are a real person, well real people have lives, jobs, hobbies, homes, lovers, etc. So tell me about your life? And quite to my surprise, I got an answer.

HAGART wrote:Were you attracted to the DC? (It happens a lot). That would explain its flirtation. It was acting on an emotion you were already feeling.

As for the actual words they use and why, that is still a mystery to me. But I've noticed that my emotions dictate the dream more than anything else. They are more subconscious and beyond my cognitive mind. ( I mean try and feel happy when you are sad through shear logic with a rational mind.... it doesn't happen!)

So although thinking with a lucid, cognitive mind, emotions on the 'back burner' of our subconscious are the ones truly in control in a lucid dream.

Actually I wasn't attracted to the DC this time, but it does happen a lot (I also do more with them than just be attracted) It is really a conversation between parts of yourself (that's what the DCs really are) so they speak in dream language which you would interpret as a symbolic. We are conscious so we speak to them with our logical mind. But the experience in the dream is just the same as talking with some other person.

taniaaust1 wrote:
I agree with what HAGGART said.. your fear over pulling that trigger and "maybe the DCS are real" caused one of them then to be hit but I dont think that was the only reason why it occurred. Its also the subconsciousness twice giving off the same message being symbolised by (let me guess), my guess would be it was the "left" arm which was hurt. (left would be for female.. so yourself would usually be symbolised by the left with that, as I think you carry a lot of female energy).

wrists.. can be to do with flexibility (trying to be too flexible? or not being flexable enough?). Maybe some anger around this "red and swollen"
Bone= structure or base of things in your life
arm= something you reach out with .. so could indicate trouble reaching your life goals, or not reaching out to grab them (Could also mean missed opportunties?) etc.
" The DC gives me a strange answer: “Falling in love on national TV?" Could represent you are romantic at heart.

Interesting ideas on the symbolism in the dream, I'll have to think about those. I think I am a romantic at heart and there are often romantic themes in my dreams.

One more thing I wanted to share from another short LD that I had during the Spam Attack. I was sitting at a computer screen and it reminded me of the Matrix because I could type things in and it would occasionally say something back. So there is a DC with me and I say something like "see we are in dream, you can tell by the characters on the screen. It's not real, see how weird the characters are when I type on the keyboard?" So I typed some, then the DC typed and every time these strange characters came out. Then the computer displays this: Ask Why. Then a bunch of blank new lines on the screen. Then it displays: Ask How. The DC gets really excited and starts asking Why? How? Then the computer displays this black and white drawing of a viking-looking guy on the screen and beneath the drawing it says: Laugh. Pretty strange stuff, but often a total surprise. LDs are so much fun, can't wait for the next one.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

mia

Postby mia » 02 Jun 2013 01:54

Wow- Lucidinthesky; what a wonderful dream. I love your questions to the DC about his life apart from your dream. Love his answers. Love the details of the wrist swelling and red after the injury. The details! I'll bet you woke up with a smile on your face. Lovely!
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 02 Jun 2013 02:30

Definitely put a big smile on my face for the rest of the day and then some! The hyper-realist qualities of some dreams really messes with my whole sense of "reality" and what that is. I was doing tons of RCs all during the next day.

One of the best things about LDs is having the presence of mind to think about things and make conscious decisions during the dream instead of waking up and thinking "Oh I wish I had done that or said that..." So during the dream you can evaluate the situation and decide what to say or do. You can think, wow that looks like a lemon, but let's see what it tastes like or let's squeeze it and see what happens. Or, I"m going to get bit by that dog to see if I can feel pain, etc. Then you can remember all of those details as if they were happening while you were awake.

But I had this attitude at first toward the DCs, kind of telling them "you know, you are just part of my subconscious mind, you probably represent some repressed memories or fears so whatever you say is just something I am making up anyway..." I was going to educate them about the fact that this was just a dream they weren't real, etc. But then they just quietly listened and then looked at me and then were telling me, no we think that's your problem. Your in our world now and this IS reality to us. So I made a decision at that point to say O.K. suppose these were just people in normal waking reality, what would I ask them? How would I talk to them, etc. And I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Will be doing more of that and hopefully have more to report.

mia

Postby mia » 02 Jun 2013 02:38

Well I will certainly look forward to your further reports. It's very inspiring you know; it also helps with ideas for proceeding in LDs. :)
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jun 2013 07:29

In a way you are lucky its so real to you. Cause Im only too aware that Im dreaming and its all a dream, I think that may be why my DCs seem to be a lot more dumber then yours are. My surroundings and that all seem real thou, just the DCs are more like robots to me throu they do look real but they dont like to interact with me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 05 Jun 2013 03:41

Still trying to understand this, but I think you can be aware that your dreaming yet have different levels of logical thinking/evaluation and "awakeness" in the dream.

For me, that level has a lot to do with how many hours of sleep I've gotten before the lucid dream occurs. The less hours of sleep, the deeper and more real everything seems but the also harder it is to be lucid. When I do get lucid in the earlier dreams, although I am fully lucid and able to make decisions and evaluate the situation, I can't do it at the same level. But in those dreams the communication with dream characters is more like real waking life and they are not zombie-like. That's the biggest difference for me, the scenery parts and sensory inputs are pretty much the same.

With the exception of the DCs, the later lucid dreams are a little more like waking life, but I'm wondering maybe if it's better to be not quite so awake, a little less in control, more under the influence of the dream because you get more subconscious input from the dream characters. Again, still trying to make sense out of it.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Jun 2013 06:09

lucidinthe sky wrote:I think you can be aware that your dreaming yet have different levels of logical thinking/evaluation and "awakeness" in the dream.

Absolutely.
And it changes everything.

When I am thinking fully lucidly, I am much more observant and have better conversations with dream characters. I think about what I want to say and how to word it before I say it. I even do a little dream interpretation WHILE I am in the dream. (Whether I am right or wrong, I can't help, but analyze things and wonder what they mean.)

It's amazing how we can think inside our heads the way we do when awake, while in the dream as though we are separate from our subconscious and viewing it from within. I can be in a dream world and still feel like 'me'. The ego sense of self identity is awoken.

In most of my lucid dreams I am still in a stooper and not thinking clearly, and I don't always remember who I am in my waking life, and I don't have an internal dialogue with myself as the dream is happening.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”