Your opinion on the difference between OBE & LD

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LCDAnthony

Your opinion on the difference between OBE & LD

Postby LCDAnthony » 01 Jun 2013 19:01

I've had this question for the longest time. I've never came around to actually asking. but...
What's your opinion on the difference between an OBE or a Lucid Dream? Is there a difference or is it the same thing, but just a different entrance.
One other thing that also makes me question, Astral Projections. What's you're opinion on those? Are they also the same thing as a Lucid Dream?

In my Opinion. They're all the same thing but with different entrances and different meanings. I think and OBE is just a more interesting and more fun way to enter a lucid dream. And as far as an Astral Projection, I don't believe in that. That's just a lucid dream.

So... I wanna see your opinions, and maybe you can explain a difference to me that will convince me, "Hey! Maybe there is!"

DreamerMan99

Re: Your opinion on the difference between OBE & LD

Postby DreamerMan99 » 01 Jun 2013 20:09

I agree, I honestly think they are all the same thing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 01 Jun 2013 21:48

I agree with that too. Astral projection and lucid dreaming, to me, have no clear distinction at all. Again, OBE is simply a way of entering a lucid dream, by the sense of bodily disconnection.
Dreaming is my drug

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 01 Jun 2013 21:52

Don't get me wrong OBEs are weird and fun way to enter dreams. I used to have them as a child. I'd see myself asleep. Weirdest thing ever. Now I know what they are!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Jun 2013 21:55

To me it is very simple, as the diagram below illustrates. OBE and LD are the same phenomenon.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 01 Jun 2013 22:26

Astral projection happens from a wakeing state. Lucid dreaming happens from a sleep state. That's the difference, although they are pretty much the same thing. Astral projection is very real though.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 02 Jun 2013 00:42

LucidLink wrote:Astral projection happens from a wakeing state. Lucid dreaming happens from a sleep state. That's the difference, although they are pretty much the same thing. Astral projection is very real though.

When you say Astral Projection happens from a waking state, do you mean like you went from awake to sleep? Can you explain a bit more? Or is it just basically a WILD? Because that would be a Lucid Dream and an OBE.
I believe they're the same thing. They just all have different titles and different entrances. If you expect something to be there (in an astral projection) it will likely be there. Just like Lucid Dreaming and OBEs.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 02 Jun 2013 04:52

LCDAnthony wrote:
LucidLink wrote:Astral projection happens from a wakeing state. Lucid dreaming happens from a sleep state. That's the difference, although they are pretty much the same thing. Astral projection is very real though.

When you say Astral Projection happens from a waking state, do you mean like you went from awake to sleep? Can you explain a bit more? Or is it just basically a WILD? Because that would be a Lucid Dream and an OBE.
I believe they're the same thing. They just all have different titles and different entrances. If you expect something to be there (in an astral projection) it will likely be there. Just like Lucid Dreaming and OBEs.

No I meant astral projection happens when your awake, and lucid dreaming happens when your asleep. The difference is beyond what you expect to see as well, because when astral projecting you can see a friend across the globe, see what he is wearing and what he is doing, return to your body, and communicate with him to confirm it. You could not do that in a lucid dream, even if you expected to.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Jun 2013 06:21

The difference is.. are you just experiencing things inside your mind or not?

Its not much different to comparing our physical reality with a halluncination of the physical reality (to a psychotic that halluncination they experience is reality..but in truth one is happening inside the mind and one isnt..same with OBE and LD).

I say they are different as I can do things during a astral projection involving our physical reality that I certainly cannot do when Im lucid dreaming as when I LD what Im seeing is just being created own mind but when Im astral I see the real physical plane. Ive had several OBEs which Ive vertified things after so know I certainly didnt just dream ..this has even caused issues for me

eg Boyfriend and I once had a fight over one of my OBEs as Id gone out of body and found myself drifting by the ceiling and then saw something up on top of my high wardrobe while I was floating up there.. so I went over to look and read what was a gift voucher which was supposed to be a surprise for me (for my birthday or xmas), boyfriend then got angry and accused me of spying on him but I truely didnt know a thing about it till I saw it there when I was floating up by the ceiling and then went over to investigate what it was while in an OBE state. (this is one of several incidents which have clearly distinguished to me the difference between my dreams and OBEs, they do feel different too.

I KNEW I'd had an OBE and not a dream even before I found out that what Id seen was true, I already knew.. I guess that is another way one can say these are different. When you dream about things in real life.. you wake up and know they are a dream, you dont come out of the state and KNOW for sure they are true cause you knew it was an OBE.

The confusion thou starts as it is possible to be astrally projected but to be dreaming too (so one may be experiencing bits of both things) or even LD and not aware of ones true astral projected state at the time, (everyone naturally astral projects when they fall asleep) eg you may be out of body in your astral body form standing by your bed.. physically asleep, astrally asleep but dreaming while in reality your astral body is standing there close to your physical body. This is what many OBE people see when they check on someone who is asleep, the sleeping astral body hangs close by to the sleeping physical body ... unfortunately you cant usually wake up the astral person as they are asleep to their own astral state experiencing thou their own minds (if you slapped them trying to wake them up astrally, they probably would just create an attacker into their dream world rather then waking up consciously astrally with a hi... thou some occultic people do manage at times to wake up a sleeping astral person). Or you may experience yourself floating in a dream as you have the "floating" feel coming in from your astral body so impacting upon your dream but you are creating with your mind everything else.

Another thing which causes confusion is the different astral dimensions.. only the closest to our earth plane is just like earth actually is.. the further out you go in vibration (frequency) away from our normal earth vibration, the less likely it is going to be that you are going to be able to check to see if your experience was "real" or not (by this I mean if what you experienced actually tallies to real life). Also OBEs may not always be true to time so that too may make a OBE look like it wasnt true but then later one may find out it really was. I taught both my daughters astral bilocation techniques using merkaba fields and daughter when doing this with my other daughter and a friend, she saw a certain house on our road burnt down when they projected to look at my street in the future (note.. this isnt done in a dream state butfully awake.. eg they were all sitting up while doing this), she saw the house burnt down 8yrs? before it did.

Anyway.. dreams happen "within" your mind (only something which is your own minds creation).. OBEs happen OUTSIDE of your own mind (thou of cause you have your own mind with you too just like you do in real life) and thou its very hard to sometimes tell them apart, that is what the difference really is.

Many people will say they are the same thing as they arent experienced with OBE and havent had OBEs into earth plane in which they can check and do things here so just havent really seen that these things are different. Many are mistaking dreams and LD for OBEs. Those who do LD may in fact struggle to have a pure OBE (as with dreaming one needs to let go so the subconscious dream mind is present.. that is something one certainly doesnt want to happen if one wants to experience a real OBE as it will send your possible OBE state to instead a dreaming state where the subconciousness overrides experiencing a real earth astral experience).

Some occultic schools talk of physical astral and mental astral planes (the world of thoughts/dreams).. so people can actually be refering to different things by the term "astral". I personally when I use the term astral.. refer to the astral body and its experiences as otherwise things become too confusing (the dream world I refer to as taking place in the mental body). These are different parts of ourselves.. seen by some clairvoyants (some yogis can see your dreams and thoughts throu your mental body)

A person looks at the ground in two areas of a garden and just thinks "dirt".. a geologist may come along and look at that same two patches of ground and know one is sandy soil and the other is clay and know both these things are quite different.. to someone who hasnt had much experience in both these things and possibly only really has known a blend of clay/sand, its all the same to them even thou the purer forms of soil differences can have quite different outcomes to things.

Things exist on a spectrum even in physical reality the subconsciousness does influence some.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 02 Jun 2013 20:29

Wow! Thanks Tania!
That's a pretty interesting idea actually.

So this is what I got out of this.. correct me if I'm wrong.
Astral Projecting & OBE's take place outside the mind? As in Lucid Dreaming is taken place in your dream world but OBE's and Astral Projections are outside of the dream world. Like it's your, so to speak, your soul? Like your soul is leaving your body and just... on a fun adventure? Haha

Don't get me wrong when I say this but I just kind of find that hard to believe. It sounds really cool, honestly!
I still kind of think they're all same things with different means and different interpretations of the mind.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”