Long Term Concern

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
fatkidslikecake

Long Term Concern

Postby fatkidslikecake » 30 Nov 2011 20:36

Hello, I have just recently got into lucid dreaming. I've started a dream journal and began sketching dreams as well as performing reality checks throughout my day. I had my first semi-lucid dream the other evening during an afternoon nap in which I performed a reality check, failed it, and seem to gain some level of awareness. I call this semi-lucid because while I was able to manipulate some very basic aspects like turning on the lights of the room turn on by thinking it, making girls appear out of nowhere, and also remember trying to interact with my subconcious by asking myself "What's my ideal job?", I seemed to be powerless in controlling the scenery. There is a sort of flow that I was unable to overcome.

That being said, my long term concern is this. After delving deep into lucid dreaming, is it possible to reach a point where you can no longer have regular dreams? Is it possible to have reached a point where lucid dreaming comes effortlessly and you have lucid dreams when you don't want to? It's a concern relating to "Inception" to those of you who have seen it. When I first got into this, I thought: I bet some people go off the deep end with this stuff.

Has anybody heard stories of people losing touch with reality with lucid dreaming, or have heard anything about horrific things done because somebody thought they were dreaming?

Peter

Re: Long Term Concern

Postby Peter » 30 Nov 2011 22:12

no fears there, I find that the first few hours of sleep are normal and LD may occur in the later hours of sleeping. It is never easy to get lucid and not easy to stay lucid and so it would be rare to LD all the time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 30 Nov 2011 22:13

This isn't an answer to your main question, but when you say you are 'semi-lucid' you are in fact fully lucid, just not in complete control. Lucidity refers to level of awareness, not level of control. In answer to your question, i doubt it. You will probably have them more frequently, but not constantly, i wouldn't have thought
Dreaming is my drug

fatkidslikecake

Postby fatkidslikecake » 01 Dec 2011 01:08

isn't an answer to your main question, but when you say you are 'semi-lucid' you are in fact fully lucid, just not in complete control.

Thanks guys for the quck input. So from here, how do you suggest I gain control? Rubbing my hands together? What are some other tricks to ground myself?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 01 Dec 2011 22:25

Spinning is a great technique. Rubbing hands is also very effective
Dreaming is my drug

fatkidslikecake

Postby fatkidslikecake » 02 Dec 2011 17:21

Thanks.

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 07 Dec 2011 02:52

I started to record dreams when I was a lot younger circa 1986, but was not aware such a thing a lucid dreaming existed, but I experienced awareness all the same. It would be a lot later that I realized it was a real thing, and that others experienced it also. In my case it was indeed the case that I USUALLY had lucid dreams, and I may have gotten a little too into it, but later on, when keeping a job and doing house work was a BIG part of my life, lucid dreaming sort of went off to the side, and I had far fewer lucid dreams and then they got rarer and rarer. I never completely stopped having them, but over the last half year or so I've been trying to get my mind to lucid dream again. I don't think you have anything to worry about, though, if indeed you were worried about it. In my opinion a lucid dream beats a regular one. I'd be okay with having nothing but lucid dreams. I think.

cee41

Postby cee41 » 07 Dec 2011 05:44

i just found out my grandpa has sleep apnea, BUT at the same time, he becomes lucid when he stops breathing. whoa.

fatkidslikecake

Postby fatkidslikecake » 13 Dec 2011 18:11

Hello all, since my last post I feel as though I have been making alot of progress. I've been making entries into my dream journal essentially every night now, and my dream recall has improved drastically, as I am able to remember multiple dreams from even only a few hours of sleep now. I'm still doing reality checks by trying to push my fingers through my palm and asking myself "Am I dreaming?", but not as often as I should, only 4-5 times a day. I have even ordered and read a few of Stephen LaBerge's books which were helpful.

At this point, its beginning to get very frustrating that I can have such vivid dreams and be able to remember such amazing detail, but have yet to have a full blown lucid dream. I always seem to get soo close to snapping awake but it just does not happen. It's as if I keep having lucid thoughts, but not really realizing I'm dreaming. For example, the other night I can remember going to the bathroom in my dream and thinking to myself, "I hope im not pissing my bed right now," but I am unable to question whether or not I'm dreaming. I know I should perform reality checks my often so that they start to filter down into my dreams, but its proving a little difficult. And after reading some of the works my LaBerge and how some experienced lucid dreamers don't even need reality checks and can skip right to direct awareness, it begs the desperate question, "Why can't I!?"

Any suggestions or advice about where I should go from here would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

fatkidslikecake

Postby fatkidslikecake » 14 Dec 2011 20:32

bump.

Return to “For Beginners”