What? 'Position Shifting' WILD technique???

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
mia

What? 'Position Shifting' WILD technique???

Postby mia » 06 Jun 2013 20:16

I don't understand how this could work? Anyone hear of this?
Doesn't the 'position changing' interfere with the onset of sleep paralysis? What do you think?

The Position Shifting WILD Technique

A common problem someone attempting to WILD (Wake-Induced-Lucid-Dream) often runs into due to having to lie still for long periods of time, is becoming frustrated and letting doubts creep into their mind. Remember, if you don't believe you will succeed at the WILD attempt, then you probably won't. Use the position shifting technique described below to overcome this problem:

1 - Relax
If you are using WBTB your body should be properly relaxed already. If not take a few minutes to get yourself feeling calm and relaxed. Do a short meditation, focus on your breathing or just lie down and read a chapter of a book, whatever works for you.

2 - Prepare your body
Lie flat on your back and close your eyes. Try and keep your eyes in a fixed, but relaxed position. Start by tensing the muscles in your arms and shoulders, hold them tensed for a second, then allow them to go completely limp. Next tense the muscles in your legs, hold for a second, then let them to go limp. Do the same in turn with your neck, back and stomach muscles. After you have tensed and then relaxed a group of muscles don't move them again. Your body will now be completely relaxed and ready to begin the WILD attempt.

3 - Enter Sleep Paralysis
Lay completely still and try not to move at all, just let your mind wander, but without focusing on any of the thoughts. Just let them float in and out of your mind, casually watching and being aware of them. After laying completely still for 5-10 mins change your position. If you started on your back, roll over to your side. Keep your eyes closed the whole time and let your mind go back to wandering where it wants to go. Keep changing position every 5-10 minutes until you begin to enter sleep paralysis. This usually takes no longer than 2-3 position changes.

4 - Enter your Dream

Once you enter sleep paralysis, keep the same casual awareness of any Hypnagogic Hallucinationsas you did with your wandering mind before. Remember to remain still and as calm as possible during this time. Soon the Hypnagogic Hallucinations will begin to turn into a full dream scene, once you see this let yourself move into the scene, perform a quick reality check and you should now be lucid!
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

DeltaV

Re: What? 'Position Shifting' WILD technique???

Postby DeltaV » 06 Jun 2013 20:41

This seems to be based on, well, what you do normally when you go to sleep. You don't lie still like a plank of wood, but you occasionally roll over, to make yourself comfortable. I don't know exactly how it works, but it does, somehow.
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 06 Jun 2013 21:49

When I was a little kid, I'd wake up from a dream I knew I was dreaming in, and Id never open my eyes! But I would flop over and sleep on the opposite side, if I was on my right, I'd switch to my left, I'd fall right back asleep, right into another dream where I knew I was dreaming.

At the time, I was just continuing fun dreams. If only I had known I was haveing wild after wild, and from the looks of it, by this very same technique basically.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mia

Postby mia » 06 Jun 2013 22:18

Well, I think you two are probably right. Maybe I'll try this. I guess it does make sense. Especially when you think Sleep paralysis can happen quickly once you reach the right meditative 'drifting' mind state. I can see where the 'determination' of keeping frozen like a plank could possibly be a bigger hindrance than a move to get more settled or comfortable. Hmmm. The closest I've tried to a WILD has been the SSILD, which also allows for some movement.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 07 Jun 2013 13:25

Yes, and I'm glad you posted this. It is the first time I've seen a technique anything like what I used to do as a kid. I always wondered why all the techniques weren't like what I did as a kid. It must be simple if a child can do it accidently haha! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mia

Postby mia » 07 Jun 2013 14:22

You are right LucidLink. If it's happening right, the SP and hypnogogic phase come from being comfortable enough that you can start 'drifting'. When I was a kid, I used to call it 'coasting' ( that drifting in and out with the sounds and imagery etc. ).

Sim B

Postby Sim B » 07 Jun 2013 18:07

Man this thing works.

> But I would flop over and sleep on the opposite side, if I was on my right, I'd switch to my left, I'd fall right back asleep, right into another dream where I knew I was dreaming.

That's exactly what happened to me today. I had little success with the WILD so I figured I would try that variant. Turns out that the fact you have to lay perfectly still was precisely the problem. I don't like sleeping on my back lol, I usually sleep on my sides (either one).

Anyway, I'll post in my thread what the dreams were (I re-integrated the dream a dozen times).
"Focus on the journey, not the destination" - Greg Anderson, 1964

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 08 Jun 2013 06:21

Soooo I don't really understand what you're talking about here.... :P Anyone want to some up what to do in the technique for me :D And just a quick question, last night i woke up at about 2:30 and my plan was use this mp 3 hemi-sync thing that fully relaxes you and i think it is a WILD because the narrator says you will drift into deep sleep being aware. So, my plan was to wake up during an REM period, listen to the hemi-sync then fall asleep and have a lucid dream :D But no. I needed to go to the toilet when i woke up, so i went and then when i went back to bed my phone screen was really bright and then when i was listening to the mp3 i was uncomfortable and it got to a point where i could feel my body go numb, and there were times where i felt like i was drifting out of my body, but then that feeling just disappeared and i became uncomfortable and decided to turn my phone off and sleep normally. So my question is, would my exposure to the toilet light and phone light have completely ruined my chances of a LD because it made me feel fully awake or does that not matter. Also, if i were to stay still for ages (i lied there completely still for about an hour i think) would i have eventually fallen asleep and lucid dreamed? The mp 3 just kept me awake :| Any help is appreciated ;)
(sorry it wasn't actually a quick question)

mia

Postby mia » 09 Jun 2013 16:13

The technique is written out in the first post of this thread. I haven't tried it myself yet.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 10 Jun 2013 02:36

Oh aha silly me i must have skipped that bit :P This sounds similar to the Stop drop and roll technique. I made a topic titled STOP DROP ROLL but no one has commented :cry:

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”