Lucid Dreaming/Sleep Paralysis

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
caboose131

Lucid Dreaming/Sleep Paralysis

Postby caboose131 » 11 Jun 2013 04:07

Hey, I have a question. There is a Lucid dreaming technique where you sleep for a few hours, then you wake up to be fully alert for about an hour or so and then you go to sleep and most likely will be in REM sleep leading to better chances of lucid dreaming. Well I hear that at times before lucid dreaming or to lucid dream, there are chances of getting sleep paralysis and experiencing those scary images and auditory sounds. My question is will this technique induce that experience at some point or it's possible to lucid dream without having to experience sleep paralysis? Or is it kind of inevetiable that at eventually you will have to go through it to lucid dream?

LCDAnthony

Re: Lucid Dreaming/Sleep Paralysis

Postby LCDAnthony » 11 Jun 2013 04:37

That usually just happens when you do the WILD or if you wake up from a dream quickly.
When you do the Wake-Back-To-Bed technique (The one you described) You usually don't and shouldn't get sleep paralysis or any sort of Hypnogogic Imagery or any HI of that sort. So you'll be fine if you just go to sleep normally after doing the WBTB.

caboose131

Postby caboose131 » 11 Jun 2013 04:53

Oh all right, thanks for answering my question. I recently became interested in lucid dreaming and learned about that sleep paralysis. It's not that completely fearful about, I won't lie, I kinda am, but at the same time not completely terrified of it, I just want to be able to lucid dream first and get the basics down first before I ever do techniques that could lead to sleep paralysis, I feel too "padawanish" to be induced in sleep paralysis lol.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Jun 2013 23:41

First of all, if you Wake Back to Bed it doesn't take an hour. Just get up to make yourself more alert and go back to sleep. Only a few minutes in necessary and it may take another 15-30 to fall asleep again.

But sleep paralysis may or may not happen and it comes with the territory. Yea, it's scary if/when it happens but it helps you grow and when you overcome it you are a better lucid dreamer. I don't want to scare you but it CAN happen (not for everybody), but it does for some. But, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger so embrace it and grow if it happens at all. If you have ever had a nightmare than you know what it is like to feel fear and it is nothing more. When you get used to it, you have nothing to fear anymore.

But I must admit it can happen and ties in with lucid dreaming. I have experienced it before, but although the feelings are real and scary it is just a dream and you wake up with no ill-effect. But also, on the other hand, you may never get it at all.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

caboose131

Postby caboose131 » 12 Jun 2013 02:56

I know it's not an hour specifically, I just read somewhere when you do that WBTB it said-30-60 mins. Oh ok I see so it's definitely linked to lucid dreaming. Lol well, I have never had a nightmare in my life, so experiencing it would be quite an experience lol. Also if I were to have these sleep paralysis, how long would it last? Also would it happen before or after the lucid dream? Like if I get it, will I be able to lucid dream anytime before it or after it?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jun 2013 05:35

Me and my big mouth again.
I always tell myself not to mention sleep paralysis because it might turn people off.
I should only mention it and help AFTER it happens. (No need to worry about what could happen before it happens)

Don't worry about it. If it does happen then you have a place to talk about it.
Internet is a great thing eh?

caboose131

Postby caboose131 » 12 Jun 2013 05:43

lol dude, i'm not turned off by it, I knew about the sleep paralysis, I just wanted to know the chances and what not.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jun 2013 05:55

well it does happen. But what you do with it is up to you.
I'm not going to sugar coat it, or lie, but it does tend to happen.
Having a light -hearted approach is the best thing, and it is just an illusion. Nothing to worry about.

Sim B

Postby Sim B » 12 Jun 2013 08:03

As you start lucid dreaming, you will naturally encounter sleep paralysis. That's just how it is. At one point or another you will become aware of your sleeping body, and of the fact that you are currently paralyzed. It's supposed to happen at some point anyway, so just be aware that it will.

Thing is, take it lightly. Unless you start trying some WILD techniques, at which point this whole transition into sleep can get pretty scary and weird at the same time, you haven't got anything to fear on that matter. You'll just go "oh, that's sleep paralysis. K."

tip: try rolling out of bed when you feel like you can't really move.
"Focus on the journey, not the destination" - Greg Anderson, 1964

caboose131

Postby caboose131 » 12 Jun 2013 16:31

Oh ok thanks for not sugar coating it, I wanted to know the truth of it, ok good, now I know that at some point I will encounter it, I expect it. I know you can't move at all, hence paralysis lol, but I hear it's still possible to move your eyes around and even wiggle your toes and fingers, is it possible to talk? Like if I have some scary creature projection on top of me, can I try talking to it in comical way as a way of coping or trying to suppress the fear? or even speaking is not possible during sleep paralysis?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”