This man

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
fistania

Re: This man

Postby fistania » 11 Jun 2013 17:46

wow i was just wondering if there is any thread about 'this man'!
i've never seen him though, and if i do someday, i think i'll just think it as being influenced and his face in my dream must've been created from the memory of reading about him.

i'm sure my thinking can be applied to lots of people who saw him after reading about him, but i don't know and not sure what to think about those who didn't know about him at all but dreamt about 'this man'.

some says he can enter shared dreams :) that's one explanation that kind of make sense for me, but how and why totally random people?

caboose131

Postby caboose131 » 13 Jun 2013 18:34

try seeing if you can get him back, like it said earlier, don't try to incubate him into your dream like right before you fall asleep, but take think of it as reality checks, like a few times throughout the day, think about the man so your mind can see that this man is important to you and hopefully eventually he will appear again.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Jun 2013 22:10

There is a new article about this subject on this website at the home page.
But BE WARNED, it shows a picture of the face.
I've already seen it before(not in a dream, but on the internet). It's a good read if you don't mind seeing a picture of 'this man'.

In fact, why don't I try and copy and paste the words for those who are interested and don't want to see the face just yet.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Jun 2013 22:15

THIS IS THE ARTICLE ON THIS WEBSITE AND IS NOT WRITTEN BY ME. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO SHARE ONLY THE WORDS WITHOUT DIVULGING THE ACTUAL FACE.

"Every night throughout the world hundreds of people dream about this face."
Ever Dream This Man?

That's the claim of a website called ThisMan.org which tells the story of how, in New York in 2006, the patient of a well-known psychiatrist drew the face of a man that had been repeatedly appearing in her dreams. Later, another patient recognized the portrait and claimed that the same man also visited him in his dreams.

The story goes, that the psychiatrist circulated the image among other patients with recurring dreams and found four others who dreamed of This Man. The snowball effect continued until more than 2,000 people claimed to be dreaming of This Man.

In 2009, a website was launched telling the story of This Man, with anonymous quotes from thousands of people talking about this apparently benevolent character appearing, sometimes repeatedly, in their dreams.

Theories of This Man

What's the deal? ThisMan.org offers us some innocent and not-so-innocent explanations for the origins of This Man:

ARCHETYPE THEORY - Jung's psychoanalytic theory suggests that This Man is an archetypal image belonging to the collective unconscious that can surface in times of hardship in sensitive subjects.

RELIGIOUS THEORY - According to religious folk This Man is one of the forms in which God manifests himself today. For this reason his dreamy wisdom should always be followed by the dreamers.

DREAM SURFER THEORY - Some say that This Man is a real person, who can enter people's dreams via some form of paranormal mutual dreaming. This Man may even be a mental conditioning plan developed by a major corporation. (Inception-style. Like it.)

DREAM IMITATION THEORY - This is a scientific psycho-sociological theory which claims that the phenomenon has arisen casually and has progressively developed by imitation. When people are exposed to This Man they become so deeply impressed that they start seeing this man in their dreams.
* DAYTIME RECOGNITION THEORY - This theory states that the apparitions of This Man are purely casual. Normally we don't remember precisely the faces we see in our dreams. The image of this man would thus be an instrument which, in the subject's waking life, facilitates recognition of an undefined dream image.

Whatever theory you go with, This Man is kind of a cool story.

But we mustn't leave it there... so here's the inevitable trick behind the magic.

The Truth About This Man

It turns out, we may not need a special theory to explain This Man after all.

The site turns out to be created by Andrea Natella, a marketing strategist who runs the firm Guerilla Marketing, which designs subversive hoaxes to drum up public interest.

The site was soon bought by horror movie production company, Ghost House Pictures, to be used as part of the promotion for an upcoming film titled (guess what...) This Man.

What I like about this hoax is that not only does it pique our interest on a profound level (there were so many juicy explanations for This Man) but the portrait itself is compelling even without the backstory. That's because This Man is Every Man.

EVERYMAN - The face of This Man is an amalgamation of many common facial features, designed as a kind of catch-all to rouse a sense of familiarity... His eyes could be any color at all. His lips are partly full and partly thin. He has no distinctive race. His face shape is simultaneously angular and round. Cover the lower half of his face and he looks old; cover the upper half and he looks young. Cover the right half and his eye is hooded, his nose large, his lips full; cover the left half and his eye is smaller, his nose petit, his lips thin - in fact it's a very different face altogether. These myriad common features mean that many people, from all over the globe, might find familiarity in his face and therefore seek to perpetuate the viral nature of This Man.

Imjustpork

Postby Imjustpork » 23 Sep 2013 01:40

Portraits of him creep me out, though iv'e never seem him. :shock:

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 24 Sep 2013 07:40

Wow that's very interesting Hagart. So... he's not real?
Imjustpork wrote:Portraits of him creep me out, though iv'e never seem him. :shock:

If you do see him in your dreams it's probably because you saw a photo of him and you just dream about your memories during the day.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Sep 2013 16:03

btifuldreamer wrote:Wow that's very interesting Hagart. So... he's not real?

That's for you to decide.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 25 Sep 2013 00:15

I remember hearing about this a long time ago, and they were saying that it was a hoax; they did a background check on the creators of the website. Don't quote me on that, but I think I heard it.
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Sep 2013 00:50

HAGART wrote:The site turns out to be created by Andrea Natella, a marketing strategist who runs the firm Guerilla Marketing, which designs subversive hoaxes to drum up public interest.

Again, this wasn't me who said it. This is a quote from an article on this site.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 25 Sep 2013 03:40

HAGART wrote:
HAGART wrote:The site turns out to be created by Andrea Natella, a marketing strategist who runs the firm Guerilla Marketing, which designs subversive hoaxes to drum up public interest.

Again, this wasn't me who said it. This is a quote from an article on this site.

Ahh okay. What would she be promoting though? She's obviously trying to make people buy more of something by scaring them into it. I wander what it is.

Return to “Dream Characters”