step 31

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
luciddreamer49

step 31

Postby luciddreamer49 » 13 Jun 2013 21:22

In the 52 Ways to Have Lucid Dreams article it says "31. Count backwards from 100 as you fall asleep: '100. I'm dreaming. 99. I'm dreaming. 98. I'm dreaming...' Strange things will happen..." Has anyone tried this?? Please let me know! What kind of "Strange things"??

[ Post made via Android ] Image

luciddreamer49

Re: step 31

Postby luciddreamer49 » 15 Jun 2013 18:18

Anyone?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Jun 2013 06:34

I've never done this, but I do know what it is like to be alert as you are drifting into sleep.
By 'strange things' I bet it means hallucinations.
You might hear something vividly that isn't real. Voices like a radio or television has been left on, a door slamming, a dog barking.
You might start to see colors, or even the flash of a vivid image.
You might feel strange sensations like floating upward or sinking downward.
I've never had any smell or taste hallucinations before, but I'm sure it's possible since they are another sense.

They are certainly 'strange things', but I bet that is what the article meant. (I didn't read it.) But I know from experience that sometimes at night or in the morning when I am drifting off to sleep I can get some hallucinations before a dream starts. And it is weird, but perfectly normal. (In fact isn't a dream a vivid hallucination after all?)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

luciddreamer49

Postby luciddreamer49 » 20 Jun 2013 19:41

Okay thank you!:) I'm gonna try it tonight. I just hope I don't make myself imagine something creepy!D:

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 22 Jun 2013 21:22

Hagart is right, the intended meaning of 'strange things' was basically hypnagogia!

*Some* people (not all) also encounter a feeling of paralysis, loud vibrations, a strong urge to roll over, and so on, which are the body's way of telling the brain "I'm falling asleep - are you?!" and vice versa. It's quite unexpected how they communicate between one another. You just have to get out the way (dont stop things progressing by worrying or over-analysing what's happening) and be a calm observer of the experience.

Remember, this all happens every night when you fall asleep, only this time you are CONSCIOUSLY AWARE of it. So if strange things happen during this method, just accept and enjoy it....

Tip: If I do this technique when I'm really tired, I start to see the hypnagogic hallucinations by about 93... it doesn't take long and is quite effective & less boring than it sounds :)

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 23 Jun 2013 02:17

Rebecca wrote:Hagart is right, the intended meaning of 'strange things' was basically hypnagogia!

*Some* people (not all) also encounter a feeling of paralysis, loud vibrations, a strong urge to roll over, and so on, which are the body's way of telling the brain "I'm falling asleep - are you?!" and vice versa. It's quite unexpected how they communicate between one another. You just have to get out the way (dont stop things progressing by worrying or over-analysing what's happening) and be a calm observer of the experience.

Remember, this all happens every night when you fall asleep, only this time you are CONSCIOUSLY AWARE of it. So if strange things happen during this method, just accept and enjoy it....

Tip: If I do this technique when I'm really tired, I start to see the hypnagogic hallucinations by about 93... it doesn't take long and is quite effective & less boring than it sounds :)

Really? I'm gonna try this.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 23 Jun 2013 11:20

There's an improved and easier version of this technique! :o Instead of just counting down and saying 99 im dreaming, 98 im dreaming.... take a deep breath that takes 4 seconds, hold it for 1 sec, then exhale for about 5 seconds then say 99. So deep breath, hold it, breathe out, count down by one. I didn't explain it very well but here's a link to the site i got it from.
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1273059
I do this when i wake up at night, hopefully during REM, but i get to about 70 and start thinking about other things which is really annoying.

Return to “For Beginners”