Successful SSILD

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Summerlander

Re: Successful SSILD

Postby Summerlander » 10 Jun 2013 20:50

When you have done all you can and that minute is up, simply fall asleep to catch the next awakening. You may even find that, after all the effort, when you are now only trying to sleep, the phase state (LD/OOBE) will begin to come to you. Autosuggestion can help but you are only aiming to fall asleep after 4 cycles.

In The Phase guidebook, there is also a section about the Forced Falling Asleep (FFA) technique which can be used in conjunction with the indirect method and is extremely effective. To check this out go to page 230 (FFA - Maximum Effect). This can bring your odds of success near to 100%!

To quote from The Phase - A Practical Guidebook:

"Forced falling asleep, to put it simply, is a way to reel that receding lifeline to the phase back towards you. It tricks the brain, which will react automatically to all your actions and quickly thrust you into an intermediate state that is easy to use to enter the phase."
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Jun 2013 22:34

I just read the link about the SSILD method and I see a lot of similarity with what I have experienced. I'm going to try this the next time I WBTB (wake back to bed). Or whenever I wake up briefly and roll over in the night. That is the best time. All those crazy visions and sensations and random thoughts. I am very familiar with those. And some say you must clear your mind, but I disagree. Let those random thoughts take you and ride it like a wave. Our dreams are nothing without subconscious thoughts having their way!

That's what dreams are.

But if you can keep the slightest foothold on your normal-waking-thought-mind, you will increase your chances of being lucid in the dream or even AS the dream is starting! <-- does this just sum up ALL methods?

But I like the simplicity of the SSILD and agree with it. I will try it!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 13 Jun 2013 14:02

Tried it again last night. Resulted in an interesting non-lucid.
I was....somewhere. I remember trees and white-ish walls. I was with my father, and a rather odd device. It was something with 4 long, metal, segmented arms, of which three ended with a pointy harpoon-like thingy. I felt that it's purpose was probably to climb the trees with it. I put it on my back and started fiddling around with it.

Obviously, the next thing that happens is me getting punished for being a doofus and playing around with sharp stuff. The sharp fin-like blades on two of the harpoons got stuck deep in my hand. I tried to pull them out, but they were firmly embedded. I tried pushing them into my hand in order to dislodge them, but the fins refused to.

At this point I started to panic. Pushing nor pulling worked. So my dream self took a third option: I used dream control to erase the harpoons from existence. I wasn't lucid at all, there was no realization of the true nature of my surroundings, but I did it anyway. It caused me to wake up. The feeling of the embedded fins turned out to be the feeling of my head lying on my hand.

So that was odd. Apparently SSILD insists on trying to make me lucid with wounds :|
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

mia

Postby mia » 13 Jun 2013 14:37

You do tend to have odd physical manifestations with SSILD Delta :)

I have to try this again soon myself. Intense work stress has been interfering with my dream activities these past couple of weeks.

I was re-reading techniques; I think all of them are very similar with slight variations really as Hagart says ( and the same synonyms : cycle, stage, phase: let's face it; those are the limited options to describe the same thing; no new words there); with EVERYONE dependant on Stephen LaBerge's work. This one though, seems much more 'permissive' of error' or 'not doing it right' to me. And I also like the deliberate attempt to NOT complicate or mystify in this one: a nice simple approach. Maybe that's why I like it.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 22 Jun 2013 05:50

My mind is full of fuck.

After trying SSILD again, I got rewarded with the most utterly horrible visions I have ever had. It involved a skinned man slowly being fed into a small hand cranked mincer, and a small girl falling of the stairs and getting audibly crushed by a very large book.

I really don't know what to make of this. On one hand, this is good, as I actually want nightmares to occur; it's easier to get lucid that way, and I want to end this damned dry spell.
On the other hand, jesus christ what the hell is this.
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jun 2013 17:30

It's a big misconception that lucid dreams are all about fun, rainbows and sunshine and you get to live out all your wildest fantasies.

BUT THERE IS A DARK SIDE OF OUR MINDS.
I know what you mean by creepy imagery. Gore and violence that would make Quentin Tarantino crap his pants!

It comes with the territory. And it's not necessarily a nightmare, just creepy.
So, it's not just me... but I wonder too, is my mind full of f*** too?

mia

Postby mia » 22 Jun 2013 17:57

I actually have started avoiding violent movies etc. I figure I don't want to 'embed' those images. We come up with enough on our own. I like to think the violence in our nightmares is a processing of repressed fears etc. Best to let them find expression so they can dissipate, rather than suppress them so they can grow. Jung felt that the 'shadow self' grew with suppression, and was rendered harmless if it was clearly acknowledged. I think there is something to that.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 22 Jun 2013 18:08

I actually don't know if this qualifies as a nightmare though; it was pretty morbid and horrible, but I felt no fear throughout the dream.
HAGART wrote:It's a big misconception that lucid dreams are all about fun, rainbows and sunshine and you get to live out all your wildest fantasies.

BUT THERE IS A DARK SIDE OF OUR MINDS.
I know what you mean by creepy imagery. Gore and violence that would make Quentin Tarantino crap his pants!

HAGART, you silly, are you telling me that gore and violence aren't fun :twisted:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jun 2013 18:15

I was just thinking about it too after I wrote that.
What is the difference between creepy imagery and a nightmare?
A nightmare to me comes with a strong emotion. It's paranoia. It feels like something is out to get you. And in our dream state of mind we tend to give it a form that comes from deep within our subconscious and they tend to be archetypes like demons, monsters, or ghosts.

But I've seen crazy, creepy, gory imagery with a relaxed mind and it doesn't phase me. It's not scary, but gruesome. There's a difference, you are right. It's not a bad thing, but I have wondered at times after I wake up, 'am I crazy?'. I realize now, I am not. We all get this at times don't we?

(And when I said, Quentin Terantino would crap his pants, I didn't mean out of fear, but I would blow his mind and got some good material that make his movies look like child's play! Could be anybody, but I just picked on him..... Stephen King would crap his pants too and his socks would fly off!) :twisted: :lol:

mia

Postby mia » 22 Jun 2013 19:18

Yes. We all do have those images happening sometimes, in both forms: detached observation, or as emotionally involved 'nightmares'. Sometimes, I wonder why; and where do they come from?

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”