Dream "Fabric"

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
fineganswaker

Dream "Fabric"

Postby fineganswaker » 07 Dec 2011 21:39

Thought I'd share something that happened last night in an LD.

I became lucid after recognizing a dreamsign (didn't need to do an RC) and started flying around over the ocean at night along the California coast. It was a blast flying around, but after a while I realized I wanted to go somewhere else--some place where it was day and where dream characters would be so I could converse with them. So I remembered an idea I wanted to do (from waking life) of trying to reach out into the dream itself and "part" or even "rip" through the "fabric" of the current scene into something else.

Well, I tried but it didn't work (and here I am hovering in mid-air 200 feet up above the ocean trying to do this--pretty comical!).

Oddly I then heard disembodied voices (I believe three of them, like a chorus) start giggling and then make a buzzer or doorbell type of sound. It was as if they were saying--with gentle sarcasm "Well, you're on to something here, but there's a missing element to what you're trying to do--and maybe you're getting a little too far ahead of yourself at this stage in the game".

When I heard them, I laughed at myself too. It was kind of humbling. The voices seemed very much like they were in a different scene, perhaps observing me through a dream version of a two-way mirror.

Can't quite recall what I did next, but something that felt like a physical intrusion from waking reality then caused me to wake up.

yogithis

Re: Dream "Fabric"

Postby yogithis » 07 Dec 2011 22:37

have you come across the green elves of hyper space ala Terence McKenna?

If you continue with this then you might end up seeing the machine elves...happy trails!

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 08 Dec 2011 02:10

yogithis wrote:have you come across the green elves of hyper space ala Terence McKenna?

I only see the green elves when I've been over-indulging on absinth!

Hm, read McKenna years ago...The Archaic Revolution??? Was that the title? Don't remember any mention of elves (maybe a different book of his...)

Anyway, are the "machine elves" entities that work behind the scene--as in "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"? If so, my disembodied voices struck me as something like that--or some kind of lucid dreamers that had "made it" and now could do whatever they wanted.

An alternate explanation, of course, would be that they're just a part of myself--my psyche, telling me there's more work to do maybe.

Well, at least the three voices didn't say start out by saying something like When shall we three meet again? In thunder, lightning, or in rain? --Spooky thought!

yogithis

Postby yogithis » 09 Dec 2011 15:41

hahahaha watch out for the hurly burly too!

Yeah basically the machine elves run the show behind the scenes, making sure everything works, I'm of the opinion there are then greater energies which may in turn power the elves. McKenna saw them on some (maybe all) his little trips he made over. To my mind essentially everything you experience is you, however...at the same time I would also say the energies you're experiencing could be outside of you. I like the paradox because essentially we just don't know.

As for the guidance you were given, take no notice if I'm honest. Plough on regardless. I like the idea they were talking directly to you, if you get chance next time have a chat back and ask some questions. I'm not sure (if they are the elves) you'll get a coherent answer but if the energies who spoke to you are there again ask for some help and they might oblige!

Good luck and can't wait to hear how you get on next time.
Michael

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 13 Dec 2011 00:26

yogithis wrote:basically the machine elves run the show behind the scenes, making sure everything works

Interesting. That reminds me of what Robert Waggoner writes in his book about how the lucid dreamer doesn't really control the dream itself. There are involuntary (external?) processes that continue to happen behind the scenes in the dream. He uses the metaphor of how the sailor doesn't control the sea--yet the ship can still get to where it wants to go.

He also writes (bad paraphrasing alert here) how you wouldn't want to have to paint every leaf on every tree in every dream scene yourself. Let those elves do all that scullery work!

And yeah, even if it's you, LDing at least offers some interesting--and maybe radical--redefinitions of our sense of the self. Selves? Energies? Sure. That makes sense too. The sense I get during an LD is how wholly other (to borrow a phrase I remember from McKenna) the dream itself seems compared to myself.

yogithis wrote:Good luck and can't wait to hear how you get on next time.

Thanks. That was the last LD I've had (although last night was so close--I had a type of (failed) lucid hypnogogia). It's funny how, while in that last LD, it just didn't occur to me to engage with the voices themselves. Need to work on more of that, well, lucidity control!

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”