Staying in lucid dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DreamChaser

Staying in lucid dreams

Postby DreamChaser » 24 Jun 2013 13:26

I've just started having lucid dreams, which were an amazing experience! I see why everyone here loves it so much C:

Anyway, I've managed to stay in dreams a little bit longer each time, but I don't feel like its enough time. Is that normal for everyone? I seem to forget to keep doing reality checks once in the dream. I have been doing a lot of reality checks when awake though, so I don't know why it isn't sinking in when I'm in a lucid dream.

Anyone else had these problems? Share your knowledge :D
Reality Check time!

Highlander

Re: Staying in lucid dreams

Postby Highlander » 24 Jun 2013 14:43

I've been having lucid dreams for years (more frequent and using techniques for about 2 years) and even now i cannot stay longer in most of my dreams. Those i have stayed longer it's because i focus on something. Try to rub your hands, look at your hands, focus on an object until it becomes vivid. It has worked for me.
Last edited by Highlander on 26 Jun 2013 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

DreamChaser

Postby DreamChaser » 24 Jun 2013 14:50

My main reality check is to check my hands, so hopefully when I'm doing my reality checks in my dreams I'll remember those tips! The main problem I think I'm having is that I become so engrossed with everything that I forget to focus on the little things. Thanks for the advice! C:
Reality Check time!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jun 2013 04:08

DreamChaser wrote:Anyway, I've managed to stay in dreams a little bit longer each time, but I don't feel like its enough time.

How long are you talking about?
Then again, are they EVER long enough?

I average about 5 to 10 minutes. I had a few long ones that must have been about 30 minutes. And of course I still get the frustrating 5 to 10 second lucids!

Best way to stay lucid in a nutshell is to always keep busy in the dream. If you stop thinking and your mind starts to wander it tends to think about waking life and you wake up. So like highlander said, focusing on the dream evironement, looking at things, touching things, rubbing your hands, and looking at them. They help.
But keep in mind that no dream ever lasts forever and these can only help prolong it. Sometimes I get those short ones and there is nothing I can do it seems. But there is always another day... or is it another night?! 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 26 Jun 2013 04:46

In order to stay lucid longer, I like to fall backwards, spin, or the simplest one is rub my hands. That mostly brings me more lucid, and for staying in longer, i just keep busy. Dont wander or do something random because ehen the stream of thoughts come in the dam breaks and consiousness in the dream is destroyed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

DreamChaser

Postby DreamChaser » 26 Jun 2013 06:43

HAGART wrote:How long are you talking about?
Then again, are they EVER long enough?

I average about 5 to 10 minutes. I had a few long ones that must have been about 30 minutes. And of course I still get the frustrating 5 to 10 second lucids!

I think my longest lucid dream felt like 10 minutes, but I'm not to sure. So its a normal thing? I keep forgetting to rub my hands together or look at the environment, which I should really incorporate into my reality checks. Thanks for the advice guys! Now I just need to have another lucid dream >_>
Reality Check time!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jun 2013 07:18

I asked one time how long lucid dreams FEEL like verses how long they ACTUALLY are. I had many answers, but most agreed if feels about as long as it feels like and we are probably right since our sense of time is also coherent and lucid with the dream. Unlike most dreams.

10 minutes sounds average to me. Sometimes it is not meant to be.... It can end beyond my control no matter what I do. Especially if you become lucid from a dream that has already started and is near the finish. But then again, 10 minutes sounds short, but in a lucid dream you can get a lot done in 10 minutes! More than waking life.

No waiting in lines... you just get it done!
You can fill a lot of pages in your dream journal with 10 minutes!
(Not that you need a dream journal, but you can imagine how many pages it fills!)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 06:04

Reality checking is only done to work out if someone is dreaming or not.. you mean "dream stabilization" techniques which are used to keep one in a dream longer. *Note some people get confused as some reality checks can also be also be dream stabilization techniques eg looking at ones hands can be either depending on what that action is being used for.

Last night I thought up a new dream stabilization technique and using it had the longest LD Ive had in quite a while.. around 2 and a half hours LD time, maybe longer (it was such a relief not to having to be rushed during a LD due to feeling as I usually do that it's about to end.. I was lucky too as I only dropped out of it and had to bring it back 3 times during this time. They were quite sudden drop outs, no idea why, not slow fade outs).

Anyway.. I dont want to type my new technique out all again right now but if you want to read it (note it seemed to get me back into the dream in a deeper state then I usually go back to one in).. its right at the end of my last nights long LD http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13188

anyway if you are loosing your LDs fast.. you need to focus on dream stabilization techniques and techniques to also bring yourself back into a lost LD.

Another method I like which I know Peter uses too.. is to bring a DC which is someone you know into the dream to help stabilise you (Peter uses DCs of his children to strength his LDs.. Ive recently started to use a DC of my exboyfriend to sexually touch me in the dream and help hold me there till Im more strongly in the dream again. I'll ask this DC to touch me as sometimes when Ive got a very fragile hold in a LD to the point of just moving can make me loose it, so instead I get the DC to move and touch me and I focus on that to stabilise it, once Im stabilised, I just walk off on him.. haha my exboyfriend DC, he's very disappointed after Ive done that a few times to him. Dont allow yourself to get too sexually stimulated while in a light LD as it will probably work the opposite way and instead of keeping your attention more strongly there, may wake you up). There is tons of dream stabilisation techniques, I suggest to experiment with them.

Spinning as a dream stabilization technique which some use, in my case makes me loose a dream even more as by doing that, it further disconnects me from a dream scene and rather puts my attention onto just myself which can then end up taking my attention to my physical body (rather then the dream environment).. so I dont recommend that technique is the best for most. Its best to put your focus onto your dream as much as possible.

Spinning thou can be good if one is deep in a dream and wants to change dream location, so can be used to disconnect from current dream location.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 29 Jun 2013 13:02

taniaaust1 wrote:*Note some people get confused as some reality checks can also be also be dream stabilization techniques eg looking at ones hands can be either depending on what that action is being used for.

I agree with you. I've used on both occasions. When i wanted to know if i'm dreaming, i look at my hands to see if they're distorted and i count my fingers. If i want to stabilise the dreams, i look at my hands only to focus on them, regardless of the 7 of more fingers i have.

DreamChaser

Postby DreamChaser » 01 Jul 2013 03:02

I had a lucid dream last night and rubbing my hands together seemed to work perfectly! Everything was much more vivid and I managed to stay in the dream longer. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Reality Check time!

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”