Can you use lucid dreams to view past memories?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
btifuldreamer

Can you use lucid dreams to view past memories?

Postby btifuldreamer » 23 Jun 2013 11:23

I was watching Inception last night and They said you shouldn't dream of memories, always make up your own scenario thing (I don't think thats true it's just to add a bit of drama) but it got me thinking that if dreams sometimes have memories of thing that occur during the day, couldn't you view or relive old memories?? :?:

LucidLink

Re: Can you use lucid dreams to view past memories?

Postby LucidLink » 23 Jun 2013 13:41

Yes you can, just like movie scenes ;) you could create a giant tv and watch them!

Or!

Or you could even relive memories as if they are happening to you again, it's amazing!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 27 Jun 2013 02:26

Wow that's cool :D Sooo you could possibly even view memories from when you were 2? Also, will it just be looking at what you think is a memory but is actually something your mind made up or will it actually be a memory :?:

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 27 Jun 2013 22:26

Yes, and they would actually be memories. Unless you start getting confused from that thought process and produced false memories only because you think the memories you'd find could only be false.

But no, their your real memories. From when you where born till now, and you can also view past life memories and experiences!

mia

Postby mia » 28 Jun 2013 01:23

I think your memories are a large and important source for a lot of your dream imagery; but I also think you create your dreams from a mix of your personal 'sources' in your subconscious. I think you'd likely not 'view' them like a recreation of the past, but images, and emotional memories, would be combined with other subconscious input for something 'new'. That's the difference between an artist's creative process to create original art vs slavishly copying something anyway. Your subconscious is always relevant and original I think.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 28 Jun 2013 03:55

You can obviously use lucid dreams to view past memories, considering every DC in your mind is of someone you've seen before, or closely similar, even if you cant remember. Your brain remembers everything. There are people who are obviously more evolved than us, and can literally remember everything. The location of the word on the exact page of a book they read 25 years ago.

Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Jun 2013 19:39

I think we all have a photographic memory.
We just don't all have access to it the way some savants do.
But if there is a way, lucid dreaming is the key. (but beware of false memories. I get those a lot and they come in to play to help justify the reason for things and events and makes things seem 'familiar' even if they aren't. I get fooled a lot and need to work on that...)

btifuldreamer wrote:I was watching Inception last night and They said you shouldn't dream of memories

I think that was only meant for the 'architect of the dream' so that it wouldn't interfere with the dream and their scheme in the movie. (Basically what you said... don't listen to that. Dream of memories all you want!)
Unless you are planning to infiltrate someone else's psyche and implant ideas without being detected...... you never know when that might happen! :P
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 29 Jun 2013 02:29

Right now everything seems clear. I just wondered of you could clearly view/be in memories from way back in the past. That would be cool :D IF you can be in a dream which is a past memory, couldn't you also make that happen with a dream yo once had and be in that dream again?? By the way, i still haven't had a lucid dream. Just thought i'd out that out there.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Jun 2013 03:05

If you want to remember a past memory and bring it to life in a dream, it must be a memory that you ACTUALLY remember! How else would you know that it is different from a fabricated dream memory?! :o

Now if it is a repressed memory, long past forgotten, that you want to drudge up and remember, then how do you know it is a 'real' memory if you have no recollection of it and are seeing it for the first time in the dream! :shock:

What ARE memories when you think about it..... :o :shock: :o :( :lol: 8-) (Full gamut of emotion there)
Are memories REAL and define us and who we are? Are they figments of our imagination? If what we consider memories, are so vulnerable and ever-changing in our dreams and even our waking psyche.... WHO AM I? WHO ARE YOU?

I just got deep again. But that's the way I am. There is always humor in everything and poke fun at me if you want.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 03:28

DreamerMan99 wrote:You can obviously use lucid dreams to view past memories, considering every DC in your mind is of someone you've seen before, or closely similar, even if you cant remember. Your brain remembers everything.

yes your consciousness does remember everything but it also IS very highly CREATIVE too. Many inventions which werent here before coming in by peoples consciousness, not things they remember.

I also find my mind will put wee bits of different things together in ways in which they dont go at all in real life creating whole, very different original things.

If you are trying to retrieve memories by LDs or dreams.. be aware that those memories are just as likely to be false memories, not true but things your subconsciousness is putting together to signify something else. Even a past life memory which came in may not necessarily come in in a way in which is clear to you, it may too come in throu other very different symbolism which has to then be decipered. Symbolism is the language of dreams, the subconsciousness rarely speaks to someone in literal terms, everything needs decipering.

Sometimes its better just to put out to your subconsciousness as just a brief thought you want to remember something and then just leave it..sooner or later something in your real life then may trigger off an old memory.. if you push it, you will start creating all kinds of false memories. I find that very old memories can come back (I have one in which Im a baby in a basinette, I didnt know language at the time so didnt know what I was in.. but have the image still, being surrounded by its sides which were all pink, I remember laying in it) as a very strong instant clear knowing and with that one can also get the reliving of the event of the past too eg full memory. My oldest memories (I can remember some incidents back far longer then most) have been spontanously triggered off by something happening in real life (much like someone who has PTSD would get triggered off by an event and start reliving the experience again but one can also have good memories triggered) or during getting a healing done with energyworkers (a few were spontanously triggered off via meditation).

Its been found now that even with hypnosis being used to try to recall old memories, that ones mind can then start giving off false events in their lives which people think are real but which have been proven they couldnt be. Always best to just allow old memories to come back naturally. Put the desire out to know, but just leave it at that (I'd never try to get old memories back by dream recall due to the likihood of them being false. Dreams can feel very real too.)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”