Carlos Castaneda: Fact or Fiction?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
LucidLink

Carlos Castaneda: Fact or Fiction?

Postby LucidLink » 27 Apr 2013 17:51

Hi everybody, so I have recently began Carlos's series of books, I am very interested in them, and I'm sure some of you are too, as much of it relates to dreaming. But I am also aware, most "normal people" consider the works of Castaneda nothing but inspiring fiction. I just began the series, so I have no opinion of my own yet. I was wondering what you guys thought?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Summerlander

Re: Carlos Castaneda: Fact or Fiction?

Postby Summerlander » 28 Apr 2013 01:54

I've partly read his book "The Art of Dreaming" (please don't mistake this for Rebecca's informatively superior "The Art of Lucid Dreaming") and I must say that there are some useful tips. The adventures described so far are not necessarily fiction (they could be) but perhaps a series of recorded experiences accompanied by mystical and esoteric world-views. Of course, the authors opinions are not necessarily fact or proven to be correct. The book is heavily belief-centric. Castaneda was indoctrinated by a shaman.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Apr 2013 07:48

I love his books. I have several of them. They could be true even thou there is a lot online which says they arent but then people often will try to discredit what they dont understand.

One thing which made me think they could be true.. is the fact Ive had some similar VERY STRANGE experiences myself .. Once I met the spirit of white sage (like there was a spirit for that plant group) and we communicated.. this experience of mine happened spontanously..and no I wasnt tired or hadnt been asleep at the time..I'd just been doing healing with that plant and I hadnt read his books at that point or heard of the essence/beings of a plant species being able to communicate (not an individual plant itself) yet I had the experience.

I also noticed in his books there is hidden occult knowledge too but you wont pick it as you need to know what to look for and I only could see it there as I already knew it from some very advanced psychic teachers, its put in the books in ways it wont stand at all out so someone without knowledge will just read right over it not realising the importance.

Whether true or not.. the writer of those books is very aware.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 14 Jun 2013 11:56

In several books the "art of living" is the best one.

Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Jun 2013 23:05

I would expect they are true but in the context of his culture and beliefs and so the interpretation will be different from say my views. The techniques are good and can be used but bear in mind a lot of what is described is preparing his students for the power of the drugs they use and the mystique surrounding this use as part of protecting the rituals.
They were are very interesting set of books, I listened to a few audio books and read some hard copy - about 4 or 6 in total and will re-read one of two soon
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 29 Jun 2013 00:00

I've read the first of his Don Juan series...
What I took from the book was information that has helped me to improve my own life.
So, if what I read helped me to improve my life... what does it matter whether it's fact or fiction?

Since that's the only book I have read, I'd highly suggest it. I simply couldn't put it down. The lessons he learned (and by extension, what YOU will learn) are highly applicable to everyone's life regardless of how or where you live. Enjoy. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 14:13

I havent read the ones most of you are mentioning.. "art of living" "art of dreaming". The three Ive got are "Journey to Ixtlan, the lessons of Don Juan" "A separate reality" and "The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui wa of Knowledge".

I really need to get hold of those other ones and read them. (Im wondering now how many books does this guy have? I see three other of his books not having been mentioned so far here in my books).

echo

Postby echo » 10 Sep 2013 04:33

CC wrote 12 books in this order

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan
Tales of Power
The Second Ring of Power
The Eagle's Gift
The Fire From Within
The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan
The Art of Dreaming
Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
The Wheel of Time: Shamans of Ancient Mexico
The Active Side of Infinity

First 4 or 5 are more-less just an introduction and don't hold too much of power cause Castandeda only describes his experiences with don Juan. Books starting from Eagle's gift onward are what really holds the value here. The thing is, you probably want to start from the beginning to get a good base of terms used later but it's not mandatory.

If you wanna know more about the dreaming itself, when finishing the Art of Dreaming you can jump on Florinda Donner-Grau - Witch's dream. Florinda was don Juan's apprentice just as Castaneda was.

Be careful though, dreaming is not your very well know backyard. If you draw too much attention to yourself, the difference between this and the dream world will start to disappear and your awareness will be drawn back and forth like yoyo by these... well... entities :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Sep 2013 09:53

Cool, there are few I have not got yet so will hunt them down

Cheers
Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Sep 2013 04:21

echo wrote:CC wrote 12 books in this order

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan
Tales of Power
The Second Ring of Power
The Eagle's Gift
The Fire From Within
The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan
The Art of Dreaming
Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
The Wheel of Time: Shamans of Ancient Mexico
The Active Side of Infinity

First 4 or 5 are more-less just an introduction and don't hold too much of power cause Castandeda only describes his experiences with don Juan. Books starting from Eagle's gift onward are what really holds the value here. The thing is, you probably want to start from the beginning to get a good base of terms used later but it's not mandatory.

If you wanna know more about the dreaming itself, when finishing the Art of Dreaming you can jump on Florinda Donner-Grau - Witch's dream. Florinda was don Juan's apprentice just as Castaneda was.

Be careful though, dreaming is not your very well know backyard. If you draw too much attention to yourself, the difference between this and the dream world will start to disappear and your awareness will be drawn back and forth like yoyo by these... well... entities :)

A big thanks to your post for this info.

Return to “Off-Topic”