Reality Checks and Dream Signs

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
rothgar

Reality Checks and Dream Signs

Postby rothgar » 06 Dec 2011 00:35

As I am "struggling" to increase the number of my lucid dreams, I have a thought about the relationship of Reality Checks to Dream Signs, and was wondering is this sounds reasonable. It seems like there is a "gap" between my subconscious and my conscious mind, and the trick is to somehow bridge between the two. In the case of Reality Checks, I am trying to do some conscious activities which are part of the real world, with enough frequency that they become part of my subconscious mind and my dream world, so that my subconscious in my dream state will recognize them and respond such that I perform the same tests when awake. In the case of Dream Signs, it is just the opposite. My subconscious mind sees these unusual situations and it is part of my subconscious world. The trick is then to bridge the gap and get the conscious mind to recognize them and respond.

I don't know how to train my conscious mind to recognize the dream signs for what they are. Once in a while it just dawns on me that this is not normal, but often I happily ignore the unusual situation in my dream state and do not become lucid. I DO have an idea how to train my subconscious, by doing reality checks. If I get so this is "habit" then it is part of the subconscious, I believe, and at least can bridge the gap that direction.

Any thoughts on how to get your "conscious" mind (while sleeping) to recognize the dream signs I am seeing in my subconscious?

thomas

Re: Reality Checks and Dream Signs

Postby thomas » 07 Dec 2011 18:31

Hi - let me know if you come up with something - that's my problem too. Reality checks during the waking world are habit for me but even when they carry over to the dream state my conscious mind doesn't get it. Like you say - I don't know how to bridge the gap. I have yet to recognize most dream signs. The one that does get me lucid every time is breathing under water. It just doesn't happen that often. I'm trying to figure out a good way to trigger that one, haven't found it yet. Maybe someone else in the forum can help us. I just can't seem to raise my awareness enough in the dream state to recognize the dream signs - and there are plenty of them.

Thomas

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 07 Dec 2011 21:06

rothgar wrote:Any thoughts on how to get your "conscious" mind (while sleeping) to recognize the dream signs I am seeing in my subconscious?

Rothgar,

Well, first, I think your assessment of RC/DS is valid. Yep, that's what we're basically trying to do--bridge that gap between waking and sleeping by working on RCs and Dreamsigns.

I think an additional trick (and maybe you've already thought of this) is to combine Reality Checks and Dreamsigns. We keep dream journals in order to start to consciously recognize the terrain of our dreams, and our dreamsigns show us that terrain and are the bullet points for becoming lucid. So it's important to start to try to recognize dreamsigns as well during the day and then do RCs accordingly.

I guess you could think of it as a type of feedback loop that, hopefully, bridges the gap between waking and dreaming. Recognizing dreamsigns and doing RCs during the day should help in doing the same while dreaming--causing lucidity. And even just recognizing that something in a dream isn't "quite normal" gives us new grist for RCs during the day.

By the way, I'm still working on this myself--although I'm starting to get better at it.

Hope my logic isn't loopy here...

TaoTeRazz

Postby TaoTeRazz » 07 Dec 2011 22:30

Hey Rothgar,

How’s it goin? Very succinctly expressed. I do understand what you’re asking but if the goal is to cultivate a greater frequency of lucidity within dreams I would actually suggest going about it in a different way.
Consider that there is no gap between the “conscious mind” and “subconscious mind” and that it only appears to be so do to the lack of continuous Attention. If this idea can be accepted, then the solution is simple. You must only focus on strengthening your ability to remain Attentive – that is, your ability to seamlessly shift your Attention from Physical Experience to Reality (non-physical experience).
I would suggest that you consider moving your focus away from attempting to train your “conscious” mind with reality checks all together because that will never really actually happen. You can’t train the untrainable. As a hypnotist of 23 years, I could explain that in more detail if you’d like however, at the moment, for this conversation, pursuing that idea, I feel, will hinder you.
In my experience, there is only one key in “bridging the gap” between Physical Experience and Reality and that is Attention. If you were to focus on this one thing with the principle idea that there really is no gap, you will learn to pass seamlessly, at will, between Physicality and Reality. I found that the best place to start is with a WILD methodology that you feel comfortable with. I have some suggestions for that as well if you’re interested. I know it’s not the question you asked but I think it’s the best answer if you desire more lucid dreams.

TaoTeRazz
Nosce te Ipsum

Peter

Postby Peter » 08 Dec 2011 01:35

more please, interesting line of thought and the more I dream and the more I do so with WILD the less of the gap between the two realms. It appears that on relaxing for sleep (night and day) that at times the sensations for a WIlD take very little time to appear so I suspect they it more me putting my attention to them as they are always there than needing to "get in to the state" that matters

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

thomas

Postby thomas » 09 Dec 2011 02:45

This thread seems to be getting at a problem that seems to happen a lot - connecting/recognizing dream signs. In fact, Ive had no lucid dreams by recognizing dream signs - not induced anyway. I have had 2 WILD's.

TaoTeRazz - you mentioned suggestions for WILD. I'm really interested.

Thomas

TaoTeRazz

Postby TaoTeRazz » 09 Dec 2011 20:51

Hey Guys,

Yeah Thomas, I'll post my personal technique over in the, "Lucid Dreaming Techniques" and I'll title my thread, “ TaoTeRazzs’ At Will Technique.”

Yeah, and this thread should examine even closer, the problem with reality checking and trying to recognize dream signs. I can tell you why it's a "problem."

Has anybody else wondered why they've not had much success with reality testing and checking for dreamsigns? Well, the (very) short of it is because the practice and methodology was constructed upon a misconceived idea and understanding of the nature of mind and the human condition. Now I suppose an explorer has to start somewhere but in the progress of exploration, one must apply knowledge and experience in order to evolve or move toward ones stated or ultimate intent. If it is ones intention to cultivate the proficiency of lucidity within the reality of the Dream World to be “at will”, then ya gotta let go of reality checks and memorizing dream signs for MILDs and DILDs. If, on the other hand however, you’re simply looking for or satisfied with the occasional or happen circumstance lucid dream experience, then by all means, continue on.
But just so you know, MILDs and DILDs are predicated on the idea that you can simply talk or will your way into lucidity. This is unlikely to happen. There is a lot more behind this as you could perhaps imagine and I'd love to share but with respect to Rebecca, admin and/or the mods, I don't want to go spouting off about it and overstep my bounds. With permission though, I would love to help advance the cause.

TTR
Nosce te Ipsum

Peter

Postby Peter » 09 Dec 2011 21:26

dont worry, share your views and opinions and we can all decide for ourself. I have a lot of my own views as well and know that RC and DS are a poor way to get into a LD. I like WILD and the more I work of the suttle feelings of entry the easier it gets and them more I think the WR and LD states are very close together.

So share away

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

thomas

Postby thomas » 10 Dec 2011 03:36

TTR - I'll being looking forward to your post!

Thomas

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Dec 2011 00:47

I have only had 2 good lucid dreams so I'm no expert, but I am learning to question whether I am in a dream whenever I experience anything unusual. I say to myself "that was strange, is this a dream?" last night the answer was yes. I think one of the reasons it's hard to tell is that dreams are much closer to waking reality than we think after we wake up and they have faded. In my lucid dream last night it was identical to waking reality, real to the touch. Good luck!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”