Rubbing hands together!

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
LucidDreamer

Rubbing hands together!

Postby LucidDreamer » 28 Sep 2012 22:02

Why does this work..its bugging me..

Rub your hands together to prolong a lucid dream or keep it lucid..

Is it because we have been told it works, or have read so.. and therefore our subconscious makes it work in our dreams?

Like, if you was told patting your head works and you believed it..in your dream it would be just that..

Who came up with the 'rubbing hands' technique?

Ky :)

torakrubik

Re: Rubbing hands together!

Postby torakrubik » 29 Sep 2012 00:03

Rubbing hands is simply a way of engaging the sense of touch in the dreamscape.
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Sep 2012 04:27

According to Laberge, the tactile senses are the last to go when a lucid dream starts to fade out. Things like rubbing your hands or spinning can help prolong the lucid dream, but for me these kinds of things are only needed if I'm near the end anyway. I've only squeezed another half minute out these methods. My experience has been that a solid and stable lucid dream reqiures no effort to keep it going.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

satopnek

Postby satopnek » 17 Nov 2012 13:43

I have been frustrated during my past several LDs due to weak dream stabilization with my last several LDs only lasting 5 minutes or so. I remind my self that I am in a lucid dream and rub my hands together. I try to do this several times so that I don't forget that I am dreaming but I still get a fading feeling in the dream where things start to darken. Last night I tried falling backwards which sometimes works for me to stop the fade out. In this case though I fell through the floor and into complete darkness; from there I opened my eyes and was awake in bed.

Unfortunately I feel like my dream stabilization continues to get weaker as time goes on. Because of my weak stabilization I have very little control over the dreamscape which further degrades the dream when I try to influence it. Any ideas beyond the hand rubbing and reminding myself that I am dreaming to help this?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Dec 2012 06:02

My experience with rubbing my hands together changed on my last good LD. For the first time, I was able to do it several times, each time stablizing the dream and adding more time. I think the issue is that lucid dreams are just unstable to begin with. As good and long as my last one was, I was very aware of the fact that it's existence was very fragile, and it would periodically start fading unless I did the hand rubbing, but I was also very careful not to "rock the boat" by doing things like scenery changes. What also helped me was just pretending I was awake and it was a normal waking life experience, no big deal, nothing to be excited about. (you can always get excited after you wake up :D )

satopnek wrote:Unfortunately I feel like my dream stabilization continues to get weaker as time goes on. Because of my weak stabilization I have very little control over the dreamscape which further degrades the dream when I try to influence it. Any ideas beyond the hand rubbing and reminding myself that I am dreaming to help this?

The best thing to do is to forget control and focus on stablizing the dream, it's more important and must come first. It should also be easier to do if you are not trying to control it. Would still recommend using the tactile sensations, touching things, feeling surfaces, rubbing hands, spinning around etc. These work the best for most people. But for me, reminding myself that I'm dreaming makes it more difficult, better to pretend it's waking life, that worked really well last time, actually forgot it was a dream for a while!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

danmc

Postby danmc » 30 Dec 2012 17:14

For me, it seems to work because it moves the attention around and "resets" it. I actually give two sharp claps, rather than rub my hands together, but it amounts to the same thing. When I do the clap I intentionally feel for the slight "sting" that accompanies the clap. Placing my attention on that sensation, and withdrawing from the dream experience for just a moment or two seems to be what does the trick.

satopnek wrote:I remind my self that I am in a lucid dream and rub my hands together. I try to do this several times so that I don't forget that I am dreaming but I still get a fading feeling in the dream where things start to darken.

So try to make sure you are actually feeling for the sensation the rubbing seems to produce, move your attention to it and off the fading feeling. Don't just do it in a robotic way. It's not just the tactile sensation in and of itself, it's your awareness of, and attention to, the sensation that makes the trick work. But don't dwell on it, it's just a momentary thing.

lucidinthe sky wrote:I think the issue is that lucid dreams are just unstable to begin with.

In my experience it feels like the attention that's the problem. There are differences in dreaming attention and waking attention that are difficult for me to quantify, but whose qualities I feel. In some ways, they seem opposite. In waking life when the attention is unfocused, we regard it as being spaced-out and the threat of lions, tigers and bears means being unfocused is not always the way to go. Of course, for the artist, like the attention in a dream, the wider play brings creative aspects to the fore. Conversely, in dreaming, being too focused is actually a hindrance as when regarding a particular for too long actually causes it too dissolve.

lucidinthe sky wrote:but I was also very careful not to "rock the boat" by doing things like scenery changes.

Yes, I think we often get caught up in the whole control thing. To be honest, I am more or less content to just let the experience be what it is. Often, all the attempts at changing things can be the cause of losing it altogether. Of course, having said that, flexing your dream muscles is a kick and an important part of the work.

lucidkennedy

Postby lucidkennedy » 05 Feb 2013 12:26

Whats up you guys, Ive been lucidly dreaming for almost a year now and ever since I have been trying and successfully doing it for that long. I have tried and done the rubbing my hands trick. I actually lay in my bed in proper "dreaming etiquette", and as I fall asleep I keep simple triggers in my head like saying my name constantly in my head or just try to think about a cool setting until I conciously become aware of me not laying in bed but starting a dream walking or getting ready to trip into a action movie. For an example when i first kept telling myself " Man I wanna become lucid and fly and I know Im dreaming", after a good 5 minutes of that i found myself walking down a street with DCs that I trusted and stop and told myself "Im gonna just try to fly" it felt like the more i distracted myself from thinking about me actually lucid dreaming, the better it was for my lucidity perception.

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 25 Jun 2013 12:44

LucidDreamer wrote:Why does this work..its bugging me..

Is it because we have been told it works, or have read so.. and therefore our subconscious makes it work in our dreams?

Like, if you was told patting your head works and you believed it..in your dream it would be just that..

Very few people use the rubbing hand technique.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 11:22

lucidinthe sky wrote:According to Laberge, the tactile senses are the last to go when a lucid dream starts to fade out. Things like rubbing your hands or spinning can help prolong the lucid dream, but for me these kinds of things are only needed if I'm near the end anyway. I've only squeezed another half minute out these methods. My experience has been that a solid and stable lucid dream reqiures no effort to keep it going.

Everytime someone mentions Laberge.. it surprises me just how different his experiences are to my own.. much of what he says is wrong as to my own experience of how things are for me eg I was reading earlier in which he was saying there was two different ways people become aware of their LDs.. in fact the way I become aware, just throu a KNOWING Im in a LD and hence just waking up in a LD wasnt even mentioned by him.

For myself, it isnt always true that the tactile sense is the last to go.. first thing which goes for me is always my sight but from their things get more complicated, with the other senses leaving close to one another. My last thing to go is like the "sense of knowing" what is going on in that other LD place. eg I can find myself back in my physical body, so all tactile feeling back but still knowing what is going on in the dream place. I think at times Ive had my tactile sense back but still been hearing the DCs in the dream place in which I've just dropped out from still talking but this isnt always the case.. its hard to judge the order of the other senses dropping out at times. I think at least once, I had my tactile sense back in my body but my sense of smell still out in the dream place.

Spinning is the very worst thing I can do if Im loosing a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 11:33

LucidDreamer wrote:Why does this work..its bugging me..

Ive no idea who came up with that idea..obviously someone is the founder of that common technique. As to why it works.. probably due to both reasons it works, cause it just does and that we are also expecting it to work as someone told us it did.

oliverclay wrote: Very few people use the rubbing hand technique.

Actually i do think a lot of people do use it, maybe just not on this site thou. I myself actually havent ever tried it thou Ive thought it doing so many times but always decide to try something else. I will try it thou one day to see if it works for me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”