Newbie here. Feeling a bit discouraged.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Evravon

Newbie here. Feeling a bit discouraged.

Postby Evravon » 03 Jul 2013 05:11

Hey guys,

I became very interested in the concept of lucid dreaming about two weeks ago. I have been reading about it and trying the techniques during the day. The way my life is going (injured in military, can't get hired, cut off unemployment, about to lose everything) some respite during sleep hours would be sincerely welcomed. I think the fact that I want it so badly is what's keeping me from achieving it. As I'm falling into the early stages of sleep (or hypnogogia, I believe?) I try to follow these "hallucinations" wherever they may take me. But in the back of my brain (I'm a classic overthinker -- I analyze and rethink every detail of everything that's happening. Sometimes I even analyze the fact that I'm analyzing everything.) I am so excited about how close I am, it makes me become aware of my body's "excited" feeling (heart beating faster, euphoria, etc.).

I would really appreciate some advice. I downloaded two apps which I have been using every day, but still to no avail. One of them does random "reality checks" every 3-20 minutes so you get into the habit of doing them. It even beeps while you're sleeping (and last night, I heard it beep every single time I was asleep, but the sound only woke me up. It didn't make me become aware during my dreams.). Another app I got, you can set your "going to bed time" and it'll set 3 alarms for you. The first, 6 hours after you go to sleep. The second, 30 minutes after that. The third, 30 minutes after that. I haven't tried this method yet because I have read that it's best to try lucid dreaming as you're falling asleep, and not once you've been asleep for 6 hours already.

My main problem here is: I get so close to it. I can feel myself slipping deeper into unconsciousness (the buzzing behind your eyes, if that makes any sense). But either I get too excited and wake myself up, or I get too relaxed and fall completely asleep, and then when I wake up I remember absolutely nothing about my dreams. I mean NOTHING. It seems like I didn't even dream last night. It's SO DAMN FRUSTRATING. I get mad at myself for failing in different ways every night.

Can you guys please help me out here? I would like to be able to get to the point where I can have lucid dreams on a fairly regular basis. Like multiple times a week if possible.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Evravon

Re: Newbie here. Feeling a bit discouraged.

Postby Evravon » 03 Jul 2013 05:15

Also, (sorry for double post)

Why hasn't Lucid Dreaming been made into a new form of entertainment yet? Why isn't there some gas or pill you take before you go to bed that induces lucid dreams for a few hours? It's like the best kind of video game, only YOU make the story and the possibilities are endless. Wanna be a superhero? Do it. Date your favorite celebrity crush? Yup. Even my broken-ass can get a date in my dream. She won't look at my scars and get grossed out.

I seriously think this needs to be done. Imagine how much money someone could make if you could "sell" lucid dreams each night!

(Although there would probably have to be a limit. I'm sure if you can get addicted to a video game, people will definitely get addicted to lucid dreaming. They might like it more than real life, and decide they want to just stay dreaming forever.)

Sim B

Postby Sim B » 03 Jul 2013 07:15

Lucid dreaming isn't like going to school, doing your homework, and having the just reward of having done your homework.

You can do your "homework", and still not lucid dream. Why? Because you can't fool your own brain. You can fool your teacher by giving him a homework you copied from someone else or did without really investing any energy into it, but your brain... it doesn't work that way. Reality checking once in a day, but truly meaning it, is better than faking to be interested in it 10 times a day.

So, what I suggest is that you drop those mechanical habits you have with your phone, such as this 30 min timer and repetitive calls, and start working on remembering your dreams, and sleeping with a state of mind filled with "I will dream tonight". Lucid dreaming is truly a quest with no goal other than being on the quest itself. Make sure you remember several dreams a night, try the Wake Back to Bed method, read often on the subjects of dream control, and dream lucidity (different levels of lucidity). Fill your thoughts during the day with dream information. It will translate into the night.
"Focus on the journey, not the destination" - Greg Anderson, 1964

Evravon

Postby Evravon » 03 Jul 2013 07:34

I tell myself every night before bed "I will have a lucid dream tonight and I will remember it in the morning."
I can't remember any of my dreams. When I wake up I lay there completely motionless for a good 10 minutes, just trying to recall something.

And these "mechanical" habits with my phone have only been going on for 2 days now. Two weeks prior to that I was doing reality checks on my own. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. I was unable to lucid dream, so I read more about it and downloaded these apps. You're saying these apps are going to make it HARDER to lucid dream?

Also, what's the "Wake Back to Sleep" method?

EDIT: Your "homework" analogy was extremely confusing. I don't understand the analogy at all. Especially the part about showing your teacher copied homework. If I'm reading about lucid dreaming every day and practicing the techniques, that's cheating?

Oneirophile

Postby Oneirophile » 03 Jul 2013 09:51

It's better not to rely on apps. Without them, you are getting your brain trained to do reality checks without external help. This means you're likelier to perform one in a dream, where you won't have external help. Every time you look at your phone in waking life, do a reality check for no less than 10 seconds: count your fingers, study your hand, think about how you got where you are, where you were half an hour ago, etc.

If you'd prefer a different analogy from Sim B's, I like to think of training to lucid dream as throwing stones in a lake:

http://world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2401

Sim B is right to suggest WBTB, which is the best route for beginners:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-back-to-bed.html

If you'd prefer a chemical route to LD, many people like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Lucid-Dreaming-Power-Supplements/dp/1430305428

I have it and the supplements he recommends but haven't tried it yet, although reviews are very positive, both on Amazon and elsewhere.

Evravon

Postby Evravon » 03 Jul 2013 23:27

I really appreciate the help, guys. Last night was another unsuccessful night. However, I do feel like I was a lot closer than I have been. I have faint memories of falling asleep, seeing things, hearing my phone beep and trying very hard to become lucid. I specifically remember waking up at one point during the night and saying to myself, "I actually remember dreaming! I hope I don't forget what I was dreaming about!" Only to forget what it was by the time I got up to write it down. I think it had something to do with believing I was inside the game Farcry 3.....

Any other tips would be very welcomed. I want this to happen almost as much as I have ever wanted anything before.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 04 Jul 2013 04:37

Some tips i have - preform wild every other night. It gives you a break in between and helps with your dream recall. Also, if you wake up in the night, write your dreams in your phone/ipod in the notes section. Another suggestion i have is doing your dream journal like this, even if you barely remember or remember only a little -

Nigh of July 3, 2013:
Dream 1: i cant remember much except for (insert fragment here) but i know ill remember my dream tomorrow.

-OR-

Night of July 3, 2013:
Dream 1: i cant remember my dreams, but i know i will tomorrow.

This will get you in the habit of writing your dreams and also helping with dream recall because your saying "hey brain, remember these dreams!"

Another thing i wanna say is dont wake up and instantly concentrate saying "what did i dream about" instead just relax for about 2 minutes letting your thoughts flow by. This will allow a broader "mind opening" to say, and pretty much allow your subconcious to think for you.

Good luck, i hope you get better with the dreams man!

BTW - ive been doing lucid dreaming for the last 3 months and only had 7 lucid dreams! It takes a lot of effort but its completely worth it!!! Dont give up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

Evravon

Postby Evravon » 04 Jul 2013 07:05

Thanks so much. May I ask, are they really all that they're said to be? is it really like experiencing real life, only you can literally do anything? If you make yourself fly, if you go too quickly does the wind sting your eyes and make it hard to breathe? Or is it the kind of thing where it's like playing a 3d video game?

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 04 Jul 2013 07:12

If you imagine things to be realistic, they will be realistic. Though your mind will most of the time do that for you. I have only had a few controllable lucid dreams that lasted between 5 seconds and 1 minute, but each of them were truly fun and amazing. Just flying or talking to the dream characters that you make for yourself is brilliant.
Do a reality check

Evravon

Postby Evravon » 04 Jul 2013 07:44

I'm sorry, that last post confused me a bit. You are saying you have had lucid dreams in which you were not able to control what was happening? As in, you were aware this wasn't real and you were dreaming, but unable to change things? That is kind of disappointing. The whole reason I want to get better at lucid dreaming is because I wanted to be able to experience the sensation of flying, or helping those in need, protecting those I love or those that can't protect themselves. I feel like if you knew you were dreaming and couldn't do anything but follow your unconscious mind's story and play along, it could be a bit scary.

I also feel like my brain is wired differently than that. I know this isn't the same thing at all, but I will give you an example: I have talked to some people who tell me when they daydream they don't do things like have superpowers, magic, or other things of that nature. The concept is alien to them. They tell me they daydream about things that could actually happen, like winning the lottery, their next golf game, or succeeding in an awesome presentation at work. However, I can daydream about that type of stuff, but daydreaming about things that break the laws of physics is a snap for me, too. I feel like I can close my eyes right now and feel the sensation of flying, even though I have obviously never flown before. Weightlessness, super-speed/strength, invulnerability, etc.

EDIT: My point is, does that mean I will have an easier time controlling my dream when I become lucid? I imagine that the hardest part of this for me is going to be:
1) Remembering my dreams, and
2) Keeping myself asleep/lucid.

Return to “For Beginners”