Recent dream and some questions

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
chiller173

Recent dream and some questions

Postby chiller173 » 06 Jul 2013 01:38

So, I'm new to this board, and it's actually kind of random that I'm even posting here. I never really, bought into the dream world or things like that. Ever since I was a little kid, I learned how to control my dreams (it' started with being able to wake up from dreams that I was scared of). Over the years, I've lucidly dreamed, but rarely had complete control, and when I did I would often find myself quickly waking up.

Over the last two weeks, that's been changing. Infact today I had probably the first lucid dream where I was in complete control and didn't just wake up. Most of the times I've been aware I'm dreaming I've tried to do, ridiculous things, like make tornados, or throw fireballs, or rearrange entire cities. The problem is I found, the more unrealistic the thing you're attempting, the more likely you are to wake up.

Today, I took a nap and I had read something about lucid dreaming so I was like "well, why not I'm going to fall asleep and try to really lucidly dream". And so I did. My dream is as follows:

It started with me being somewhere, there's people around whatever. I was instantly aware I was dreaming, but I didn't feel the usual pull to wake up. So I started trying things, like making fireballs and tornados and moving things. Instead of the usual rushed approach I had taken previously, I took a slow, patient approach. Anything I tried to do, I associated with a movement of my dream body. This seemed to work pretty well, as I was able to do everything I tried without waking up. So I began to fly around and explore. I guess, part of the reason for wanting to lucidly dream is there's some answers to some questions that I want. So, with this in mind as I was exploring, I found myself drifting through different landscapes, until I ended up in what I can only describe as a lord of the ring elf style place with a bunch of old asian dudes in it. One of these people, for whatever reason he had a name (something of a rarity in dreams in my personal experience) was called master zen. This guy wanted to fight me for some reason. So I picked up what I can only describe as a stick looking thing. I changed it into a sword. What I first noticed was it was not a stable transformation. It was waivering between what it was and what I wanted. It took a lot of focus to stablize it into a new form. At this point, the guy said to me "Oh, you think you know this world? You don't". He then turned invisible. So I'm sitting there like "wtf??? this isn't good'. I then heard the same voice and it said "this is my world you're a child' (Perhaps this was just a reflection of my mind assessing it's own capabilities for doing things in the dream world?). The object that I had made into a sword started to waiver back to whatever it had been to begin with. It was like another mind was reshaping the environment I was in. Once again, it took a lot of focus to keep it stabalized. I then started walking down the hallway I was in, trying to keep my sword as a sword because I felt I obviously needed a weapon. It was at that point I saw the reflection of the now invisible guy on the floor, turned around and stabbed him. As soon as that happened, it was like the 'force' that seemed to be shaping the dream around me was gone. I walked down the hall and I soon woke up from contemplating what had just happened.

So I have a few questions that's stemmed from that. I feel like, a entirety new world of possibilities has been opened up, there's obviously so much I wasn't even capable of before that I was now while lucidly dreaming, and it's made me wonder. So here's my question list, if anyone wants to add an answer or opinion to them that would be great:

1). Was there a meaning to that dream? The only meanings I could think of was that I killed some part of myself, or that it was some sort of self training dream.

2). Is the dream world actually a world more than just our own mind? Our the people we see their shadows of other people who are at the sametime dreaming?

3). If it is an actual world of it's own that we enter, can we find someone we know in that dream world? Can we communicate with them? If so how? I was thinking that if it's possible, the more you know about the person the easier it would be to find/locate them in the dream world.

Goldkoron

Re: Recent dream and some questions

Postby Goldkoron » 06 Jul 2013 02:00

Not much is truly known about dreams. That dream you had sounded like a fun one, Master Zen is awesome.

Don't worry about consequences for killing someone in your dreams, its entirely imagination.
Do a reality check

chiller173

Postby chiller173 » 06 Jul 2013 02:25

I mean if it was actually possible to kill someone that'd be intense, but I doubt that's the case. That or the only way would be for them to be fully 100% in a dream at the sametime you were, which I doubt anyone is 100% in the dream world at any given time.

I'd be more concerned about killing a part of yourself, an idea, an emotion, a thought, etc. Inadvertantly changing something about yourself/your own mind.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 06 Jul 2013 02:59

chiller173 wrote:I mean if it was actually possible to kill someone that'd be intense, but I doubt that's the case. That or the only way would be for them to be fully 100% in a dream at the sametime you were, which I doubt anyone is 100% in the dream world at any given time.

I'd be more concerned about killing a part of yourself, an idea, an emotion, a thought, etc. Inadvertantly changing something about yourself/your own mind.

Its the same thing as changing the stick to a sword, killing someone is just a concept in your mind in which you port over to a dream. If we were killing parts of our minds by imagining harming a dream character, then we should also be killing parts of our minds by changing and destroying objects.
Do a reality check

tea

Postby tea » 06 Jul 2013 17:52

as far as i've discovered the mysteries of life, this is what i can say:

dreams are within yourself. the actual question here is: who are you? are you really just cells performing chemical reactions?
no, you are more than that.. way more!
your body and brain - even your mind and reason - are just tools you were given to explore reality from this specific point of view. it's like looking through binoculars; what you see is a distorted/zoomed fraction of everything - but the whole still exists beyond the borders of your field of vision. assuming that this picture is all that exists means that you've become used to it, accepting it as the only truth.

remember: you are NOT the binoculars, you are the observer.

so.. what does this mean for the dreamworld? i think dreams are just as real as "reality", but so very different in their basic nature, that you can't apply our world's rules to them. flying and shapeshifting can be absolutely natural so why would killing a dream character be a problem? because killing somebody in "real" life is a problem.
i don't believe that killing in dreams is equal to killing in "real" life.
it is such a different world, maybe it's equal to peeling a banana in waking life... ;)

in the end, what i can say is that in dreams nothing is "bad" as long as it doesn't make you feel bad.

hope this helped a bit :)
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jul 2013 22:51

Master Zen started the fight.
That's important.
Why? That is another question.

It's a coincidence that in one of my early lucid dreams, I tried to summon and meet a wise 'guru' as I called it. I searched and finally found somebody, who was like an anime cartoon character. I tried to ask questions about the meaning of life, but he didn't respond. Next thing I knew, (perhaps I looked away for a moment), but he was gone. I turned and he was behind me now. He looked like one of those old Kung Fu masters from the movies with long white hair and beard. He began to fight me! I tried to fight back, not in terror, but more like we were sparring. He was way too fast and he blocked my punches with tremendous strength.

It faded and I woke up to a very terrifying sleep paralysis in which there was a shadow entity in my room with tendrils and it was actually touching me! I fought that creature and snapped back in to a lucid dream again.

Like you suggested in your first question, it might be like a training exercise. That's how I viewed my experience. It was like I am just a young one and I can't even begin to get the answers until I get more experience.

(These are just dreams and may have no meaning other than what we give them. But ask yourself this: DID YOU LEARN SOMETHING? DO YOU FEEL MORE EXPERIENCED?)

Maybe that is the key.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

chiller173

Postby chiller173 » 08 Jul 2013 02:48

Well when I got like, into that room where this guy was (it's interesting that like in your earlier dream, this man was an older asian man with crazy white hair like a movie kung fu master), I kind of had the feeling that there would be a fight.

Like two younger men were fighting eachother, as if training, then I showed up and immedietly had the feeling that I was not supposed to be there. I was almost, arrogant about being there, but I wasn't necessarily going to fight him. Infact me killing him was self defense in the sense that, after he turned invisible, I kind of just shrugged and started walking down the halls to explore, I was literally walking away from the fight. Then I saw him come up behind me.

I did feel some sort of, idk resolve from winning that fight though. Dunno how to describe it I woke up with a weird 'quiet' feeling inside of myself. Whether from that, or the whole dream in general, I definitely learned a lot and increased my abilities in the dream world.

That makes me think of another question thought. What if, lucid dreaming/being in the dream world is like a muscle. IE, you workout your bicep. When you first start you can't really feel it and it's weak, hard to use, hard to sustain working out. But as you train it, you are more aware of it, you can use it easier, it gains strength and endurance. What if somewhere in our brain or w/e it is that causes lucid dreaming, is like a muscle that you have to workout and stretch and train by lucidly dreaming?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Jul 2013 03:49

chiller173 wrote: What if somewhere in our brain or w/e it is that causes lucid dreaming, is like a muscle that you have to workout and stretch and train by lucidly dreaming?

I agree. I have known for a while that once a lucid dreamer, always a lucid dreamer. It's like once you have a few, you can't help but lucid dream again and again. (We get our dryspells from time to time, but they will come back..... with patience.)

And I use to compare it to muscle memory the same way athletes can hit a home run over and over again subconsciously without thinking about it because it becomes habit.

Then I learned something called brain plasticity. (In other words, the brain changes and makes new pathways after repeated behavior and gets use to things... In fact muscle memory is not in the muscle at all. That is brain plasticity too.)

I can't go into depth because even I am a laymen about it. But I bet that is what happens when we lucid dream. It becomes familiar, and builds new neural pathways and it gets easier every time. Just a theory. (But we still get our dry spells and I have not had one for a week... but it's normal and I'll get one again!)

I have literally hardwired my brain for it with experience just like anything else we do in life repeatedly!

P.S. I never actually said hello and welcome. Well I guess I just did there, but it was untraditionaly at the end of this message.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”