Is lucid dreaming a virtual reality playground? NO.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
HAGART

Is lucid dreaming a virtual reality playground? NO.

Postby HAGART » 11 Jul 2013 03:12

I think there is a misconception about lucid dreaming and I don't know where it came from.
I've heard many beginners, who want to lucid dream think that it is like a virtual reality video game or playground in which you can accomplish all your heart's desires with perfect clarity.

I lucid dream a lot, and I must say that, NO, it doesn't quite work that way.

I don't want to burst any bubbles, because lucid dreaming is still an awesome experience. If you are fully aware of who you are in the dream, the FEELING is hard to describe. Imagine being king of the world. Nothing can hurt you. You are omnipotent. No consequences. Basically, one of the best feelings in the world.

It feels great, but it often plays out beyond my control. However, once you are in one, you realize, "Why do I want to be in complete control anyway?" Everything I thought was going to be fun when I was daydreaming about it, pales in comparison to what is actually happening now in the dream. That is the magic of the dream. I find myself in places I can only dream of! (pun intended :mrgreen: )

And I'll tell ya, some of my regular, vivid dreams are far more memorably than a lousy, short, blurry lucid one. Lucidity and vividity are not the same thing. (pretend vividity is a word so it rhymes ;) ).

I think there is a common misconception about lucid dreaming. They are still dreams after all, and even some non-lucid ones can be extremely real. And some lucid ones are very dim, vague, blurry and hard to control. When you get a combination of, both vivid, AND fully lucid and aware of who you are... Those are amazing, but shouldn't be expected every night.

BUT THEY ARE STILL AMAZING!
But perhaps for a different reason than what you imagined.

One last note, I can't forget:
(Some lucid dreams can be a little frightening and aren't always 'fun' but always exciting and memorable and builds character in my opinion.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

btifuldreamer

Re: Is lucid dreaming a virtual reality playground? NO.

Postby btifuldreamer » 11 Jul 2013 10:44

Hmmmmm -__- way to buest my bubble.
:P nah. It's blurry and stuff at first but my goal is to make it extremely real and be a master at lucid dreaming.

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 11 Jul 2013 13:40

Don't get me wrong, lucid dreaming is great. You'll just never have full, 100% control. Sure, you can get up to a level where you can control quite a bit, but your subconscious is still the one who's ultimately in control.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Jul 2013 15:15

I have a saying:
If you want to experience perfect clarity and control just like waking life..... WAKE UP!

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 11 Jul 2013 19:58

I find my lucid dreams are almost always just as real life. It truly is my playground to experience anything.
When I'm lucid it's hard to believe I'm really asleep because the dream is so real and vivid.

So I actually disagree for the most part, but it i believe it is because I naturally learned to lucid dream as a child! I am thankful for that!! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Sim B

Postby Sim B » 13 Jul 2013 07:40

It's a way to see it, but it's not a fact.

In a sense, it is sort of a playground, but a playground of wonders: who knows what's coming next? :P
"Focus on the journey, not the destination" - Greg Anderson, 1964

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Jul 2013 21:26

Sim B wrote:In a sense, it is sort of a playground, but a playground of wonders: who knows what's coming next?

True.
But it's not like a virtual reality video game either. Your stray subconscious thoughts can manifest themselves as objects in the dream world.....
With more control of your own thoughts, of course it is possible to overcome that or at least manage it.
Perhaps it is more like an hallucinogenic trip, which can be very spiritual (not in a narcotic sense. I heard some beginners worried about that, but don't worry. We all go on a trip every night when we dream anyway......).

In the future I bet it is possible to play video games without a television, but instead hook up electrodes to your head and play with your mind! (Maybe it's already started...) That would really get confusing for a lucid dreamer, because it would feel very much the same way, but without your subconscious dream awareness as the 'pilot' of the game, the way it is the 'pilot' of the 'dream'. (This just got deep.... :ugeek: )

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Jul 2013 05:52

LucidLink wrote:I find my lucid dreams are almost always just as real life. It truly is my playground to experience anything.
When I'm lucid it's hard to believe I'm really asleep because the dream is so real and vivid.

So I actually disagree for the most part, but it i believe it is because I naturally learned to lucid dream as a child! I am thankful for that!! :)

This is my been my experience with lucid dreams as well although I've only been doing it for 1 1/2 years.

HAGART wrote:I think there is a misconception about lucid dreaming and I don't know where it came from.
I've heard many beginners, who want to lucid dream think that it is like a virtual reality video game or playground in which you can accomplish all your heart's desires with perfect clarity.

I lucid dream a lot, and I must say that, NO, it doesn't quite work that way.

I agree that a lot of people have these unrealistic expectations of control during lucid dreams. The reason for that is this false definition of lucid dreaming as simply "controlling your dreams" when lucid dreaming is being aware that you are dreaming. Control is a separate issue. I can always control my own actions in a lucid dream, which quite frankly is about all we get to control in waking life too. Most of us desire to be in control of our lives, but that's more of a fantasy than reality. We have learned how to behave based on likely outcomes and basically how to play the odds, but that is not the same as control.

But getting back to lucid dreaming, I do see as a virtual reality world more than a playground. I think we are doing a lot more there than playing, but that's certainly part of it. A big part of the reason I do it is because it is so real and I love just to explore it and touch it and feel it as a physical place. Being able to evaluate the experience in real time and making mental notes, remembering it with waking-life quality memories. It's just truly such an unbelievable experience and I enjoy struggling with believing that it's a dream and not waking life.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jul 2013 07:41

LucidintheSky,
I couldn't find anything to disagree with. It is more of an awareness of yourself than control of the dream, like you said. Or perhaps they go hand in hand and one can never control the dream unless they know thy self. The more aware of yourself you are, the more vivid the dream.

Anyway,
I posted this because I read many people describe what they want to do in their first lucid dream as if you can pre-plan it, and they tended to be based on video games for some reason. I'm sure it is somewhat possible to do that to an extent, but even I can't pre-plan one after 2 years and the more I think about it... why would anyone want to? Just let it happen.

It's one of those things where if you think too much, it won't happen. It's one of the few things in life where being lackadaisical actually can help! (I found a way to use that word correctly! 8-) )

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jul 2013 08:02

LucidLink wrote:So I actually disagree for the most part, but it i believe it is because I naturally learned to lucid dream as a child! I am thankful for that!! :)

I agree... with the fact that you disagree...
I can only speak for myself and what I think is the majority. Even though I lucid dream, they are not always vivid and realistic with full control. However, I only learned it later in life, and never had any as a child as you did. (or at least none I remember). As far as I, as a lucid dreamer is concerned,... call me a two year old. That's about as much experience as I have. I'm still learning, and getting more vivid lucid dreams, but I don't ever expect it to be a pre-planned virtual reality world with all my plans carrying out the way I expected. (It's unrealistic).

And nor should anyone else. Lucid dreaming is far greater than that! Our dreams are far more imaginative than what we expect and they always surprise me. (Lucid or not).

Return to “For Beginners”