Lightswitch never turns on light in dreams

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Gordon

Lightswitch never turns on light in dreams

Postby Gordon » 16 Jul 2013 03:33

Hi Ive just re-joined the group (btw, had problem logging in and could not find way of contacting an admin so had to use another email to register again).

But anyway: Ive had many lucid dreams all my life but in the last two years ive found something which shows im in a dream all the time. Last night it happened twice.
Its always a scary or sort of evil-presence dream, someone watching me in dream world waiting for we to come back etc. I always see or feel these entities watching me in dreams from say 10-50 metres away, even just hovering perfectly still in mid air.
I often try to wake up, and its difficult to- takes time and cant move because of sleep paralysis etc.
But yep I eventually make it to the lightswitch and turn it on. but if im in a dream within a dream (I think im awake) the light NEVER works. So im still in the dark with this evil-presence thing.
Ive learnt to realise that this means its a dream and so now everytime I realise its a dream and then I have a lot more control in the dream and can stand up to the evil things a lot more.
But why do the lights never turn on? Ive have over 30 of these dreams- they are not the same but I always turn on light after a bad dream so it happens in these dreams all the time.
Why cant the light turn on in dreams? its weird! if it did then I wouldnt realise im in a dream.

rami elhaibe

Re: Lightswitch never turns on light in dreams

Postby rami elhaibe » 16 Jul 2013 19:27

Hi , I also had the problem with logging on btw. But when you said you tried to wake up that sounded like you were lucid, but if you were lucid try to just calm your self down and try to speak with the evil present (probably spelt that wrong but that doesn't matter!) Try to summon it to you and tell it who it is and why it is stalking you or you can try to unsommon him or her oh ant btw I would like to add you as a friend to see what kinds of dreams you have - rami happy dreaming

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 16 Jul 2013 20:23

You found something out many lucid dreamers have discovered! Yes lightswitches don't work! Why would they? There is no electricity in dreams hahaha!

This also means, flicking a light switch a couple times is the PERFECT reality check.

Oh any by the way those dreams within a dream (where you think you are awake) are called false awakenings! They are quite common when trying to wake yourself up from a nightmare, and people even report experiencing up to 4 or 5 false awakenings in a row before actually waking up!
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

rami elhaibe

Postby rami elhaibe » 16 Jul 2013 22:37

LucidLink wrote:You found something out many lucid dreamers have discovered! Yes lightswitches don't work! Why would they? There is no electricity in dreams hahaha!

haha but in some people's dream the light can work if they intend it to.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 17 Jul 2013 05:55

rami elhaibe wrote:
LucidLink wrote:You found something out many lucid dreamers have discovered! Yes lightswitches don't work! Why would they? There is no electricity in dreams hahaha!

haha but in some people's dream the light can work if they intend it to.

Well of course!!!
In a lucid dream ANYTHING will happen if you intend it to ;)

Gordon

Postby Gordon » 17 Jul 2013 12:16

Yes Rami ok, I sort of do feel like its someone watching me in dreams (tho supposedly I dont believe in that stuff!) I have asked them lots of times but havnt got an answer. When I realise its a dream I often arent as afraid but most times the evilness/nastyness is too horrible to be near so I try to get away. Its like a light of scary nasty evilness. radiating. And I really feel like they try to scare me on purpose.

Lucidlink, But its still very weird! because: I do intend to -and want to- turn the light on. Why do other cause-effect rules work in dreams but not this? Like I sit on the bed, get up off bed walk to lightswitch is still cause effect physics-like rules. I know the actual switch in the dream moves -I can physically push it down.
But yeah Ive tried the switch so many times and it never works in both these false awakenings (sorry didnt have term for it but yeah they can be horrible).

That really is something very important though. Why do light switches in particular not work, while other simpler concepts do?

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 17 Jul 2013 18:09

Gordon wrote:Yes Rami ok, I sort of do feel like its someone watching me in dreams (tho supposedly I dont believe in that stuff!) I have asked them lots of times but havnt got an answer. When I realise its a dream I often arent as afraid but most times the evilness/nastyness is too horrible to be near so I try to get away. Its like a light of scary nasty evilness. radiating. And I really feel like they try to scare me on purpose.

Lucidlink, But its still very weird! because: I do intend to -and want to- turn the light on. Why do other cause-effect rules work in dreams but not this? Like I sit on the bed, get up off bed walk to lightswitch is still cause effect physics-like rules. I know the actual switch in the dream moves -I can physically push it down.
But yeah Ive tried the switch so many times and it never works in both these false awakenings (sorry didnt have term for it but yeah they can be horrible).

That really is something very important though. Why do light switches in particular not work, while other simpler concepts do?

To answer that question, I have to get a bit deep.
First ask yourself: What is light?
My answer would be, everything. Yes I believe everything is light-contiousness. Especially in the dream world, the very dream world itself is made from light.

Now why would a common light switch control this energy? This energy is everything you see, feel, hear, and expereince. And there is no electricity either, of course.

The only way to brighten a lucid dream with more light, is to create the light with that same energy that creates the rest of a dream. You need your mind, body, and spirit to do that, not a light switch ;)

Gordon

Postby Gordon » 18 Jul 2013 03:00

Yes I agree it is all light and all things are forms of light energy. But a FA dream is "supposed" to be a representation of my room and all the things in it. So why not represent the light-lightswitch part correctly? If dreams really are (?) created by me, why this error in representation. This consistent error.
I agree that I could probably make it light once I realized it was a dream, but that still doesnt explain this. Its the light not turning on that makes me basically do a reality check and find its a dream.

Anything can happen in dreams (the light could easily be made to act "as normal" and turn on. But no, never. - but why this consistency? this error in representing my room?
I already think we are in a computer simulation...(why everything is made of light) so this makes me suspicious.

I cant cant really speak for my subconscious, but its really not my style to inaccurately represent something. Id like to read of other people who have found this lightswitch-not-working thing. I googled it but found nothing.

Gordon

Postby Gordon » 18 Jul 2013 04:49

Ive found more serch results on net now... but the supposed reasons just dont seem like the real answer to me. eg that part of the brain -the logical part or whatever- is not active in dreams. therefore electronics (more complex cause effect) dont work.
Hmm, no. whatever makes the crazy things in dreams does it all very realistically and generally in the structure and order of the usual rules of physics. So no I still dont have a good explanation for it.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 19 Jul 2013 00:44

Yes, in a dream, your logical mind isnt "on". This is why you have totally nonsense dreams/nightmares, and believe they are true (while in the dream) and end up going along with them.

Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”