Hypnagogic state

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Lucidbassist

Hypnagogic state

Postby Lucidbassist » 18 Jul 2013 01:07

Hey,

I have heard of people setting alarms to go off 4.5 hours after they go to sleep, to then try a WILD which users can experience sleep paralysis and a Hypnagogic state before entering the dream.

However if I was to try induce sleep paralysis and get into a hypnagogic state as soon as I go to bed rather than wait 4.5 hours, what would happen? would I have hallucinations for 90 minutes, which at that point my first short dream cycle should start, and I remain concious in the dream?

Or when the hallucinations start would I be able to imagine my body drift off, and then into a dream scene immediately?

Best regards.

LucidLink

Re: Hypnagogic state

Postby LucidLink » 18 Jul 2013 01:42

Good luck getting ANYTHING to even happen if you try it before bed, because it's very difficult to get anything to happen at all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lucidbassist

Postby Lucidbassist » 18 Jul 2013 01:58

I have attempted this once and started to feel somewhat numb and hazy as I lay completely still for about 15 minutes, but at that point I got excited and my heart rate picked up and I lost focus. So I gather its just best to try after at least 4 hours to get the deep sleep cycles out of the way?

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Jul 2013 09:52

However if I was to try induce sleep paralysis and get into a hypnagogic state

There is no need to induce SP, it is not needed and not essential to a LD. Relaxing and observing and staying awake while you go to sleep is - thats all you have to do, HI, SP and everything other technique is a means to fill in time and stay aware while falling to sleep. A LD entered by a WILD is simply staying awake while falling to sleep, it is easiest in the early hours after a sleep because you are more likely to fall into a REM sleep instantly and this appears to be the state needed to LD

I have had plenty early evening but they are hard, not impossible but very hard. Coffee is good for me as it helps me stay awake while going to sleep.
I am going on a bit here but want to make the point on what exactly we are trying to do when attempting a WILD
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 18 Jul 2013 22:11

As peter mentioned, it's all about sleep cycles rather than time of day. If you wake yourself in the middle of REM sleep, then when you next go to sleep, your brain will try to catch up on REM sleep by skipping the usual 90 mins and sending you directly into REM.
Dreaming is my drug

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 19 Jul 2013 00:26

LucidLink wrote:Good luck getting ANYTHING to even happen if you try it before bed, because it's very difficult to get anything to happen at all.

Thats the problem - things can be unpredictable. You could either epicly fail, have nothing happen, epicly win (a LD) but no SP symptoms, or have every side effect of SP and no lucid dreams.

Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

Lucidbassist

Postby Lucidbassist » 19 Jul 2013 03:37

Ok thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :)

My first lucid dream happened when I woke up early hours of the night to use the bathroom, and returned to bed. I guess because I got up my conciousness rose and once I returned to bed my mind easily moved into a theta state and I achieved lucidity, its funny because I never get out of bed during the night, that was the first time, and it induced a lucid dream.

Ill give the coffee a go Peter, thanks.

Regarding what Torakrubik said, so theoritcally, if I woke up this morning half way during a REM cycle, tonight when I go to sleep, my body should resume the cycle, finish off that REM cycle, and proceed as normal with deep sleep cycles etc?

Ive been using an app to monitor my sleep patterns, tho they categorize deep sleep and REM together, so its confusing, because my understanding is that they are 2 completely different phases, deep sleep is deep dreamless sleep, NREM sleep, when the brain operates on delta waves, while REM is borderlining light sleep and being awake. The app detects movement, so I guess when no movement is detected I could be in REM sleep, as the body is in sleep paralysis during REM restricting movement.

What do you guys think, am I on the right track?

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Jul 2013 06:50

I use a ZEO sleep recorder and it tells me that light sleep, deep sleep and REM sleep are different phases. I can get to light sleep while relaxing and be fully aware that I have drifted into light sleep and I know the feeling of dropping into REM as well. I have many times come back to full waking awareness just to see what state I was in and so have gotten to know them quite well.

Don't get two wrapped up in the science as it can lead you to believe that all you are trying to achieve is a linear process and for me anyway it is not. Whatever works it what works and it can be vastly different so just have a solid goal and use you monitors and sups to achieve this.

Ask away as there is a lot of experience on this forum

I have had LD in early evening, late evening and afternoon naps. It just a little different to achieve each time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Lucidbassist

Postby Lucidbassist » 19 Jul 2013 12:42

Alright thanks. Its so interesting, and I actually look forward to going to bed. 2-3 weeks ago I had no idea what a lucid dream was, and I could remember 1 dream a month, now I have been able to remember 4-5 per week and 1 lucid so far. I'll try a MILD tonight. Even if my dream isn't lucid, I'm glad to be able to remember them. Very crazy dream stories.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 19 Jul 2013 21:32

Lucidbassist wrote:
Regarding what Torakrubik said, so theoritcally, if I woke up this morning half way during a REM cycle, tonight when I go to sleep, my body should resume the cycle, finish off that REM cycle, and proceed as normal with deep sleep cycles etc?

This would be less effective than going back to sleep in, say, 20 mins or so. I don't think it's quite as linear as that, but REM sleep is a deep type of sleep so I would say lack of this will lead too immediate immersion in REM. I'm not sure how well this would work from being awake for the whole day though.
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”