Rehearsing conversations for Dream Characters

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
lucidinthe sky

Rehearsing conversations for Dream Characters

Postby lucidinthe sky » 18 Jul 2013 05:52

After a week of working hard on WILD, I finally got lucid early this morning but just got too excited with these 2 dream characters sitting across the table from me. This often happens after a dry spell. I fell into the usual "Did you know we are dreaming right now? Isn't that amazing..." etc, etc. Their faces completely froze with this blank looking expression and of course then I knew that I had blown it. The dream dissolved fairly quickly. I don't know if anyone else has this problem. But I'm so surprised that it's a dream, then the dream characters are often in place already, right in front of me and I panic. Most of the time, my dream characters don't what a dream is and it makes them even more into zombies if I try to talk about it. Once in a while there's an exception, but most of time, they don't get it.

So my idea is to start rehearsing what I'm going to say and try to be more prepared. Does anyone do this or had success with it?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

torakrubik

Re: Rehearsing conversations for Dream Characters

Postby torakrubik » 18 Jul 2013 22:14

I would recommend against rehearsing an entire conversation as obviously the DC's responses will probably be incredibly unpredictable!
Dreaming is my drug

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 19 Jul 2013 00:18

I agree with torakrubik. I have created my own dream dialouges for characters I still haven't met. But I decided to cancel that because 1. There won't be any surprises if it works and 2. I believe if I give my DC's the freedom to choose what they say and do, they'll act more lifelike
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Jul 2013 04:52

Yes, I agree with you both. I was really just trying to plan my part of the conversation, but I also think it's good to create intentions on the part of the dream characters such as: you ask "What message do you have for me?" and the you really expect and believe that the DC will tell you without coming up with the specifics of what they will say.

What's difficult is the awkward silence after becoming lucid and realizing that you have been sitting with people and having a conversation. I start getting really self-conscious and uncomfortable. Of course we can always say "but it's just a dream, don't sweat it" but I want to keep everything as real as possible so I try to treat the dreams just as waking life. They are so real and it helps to keep them real.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 19 Jul 2013 05:55

lucidinthe sky wrote:Yes, I agree with you both. I was really just trying to plan my part of the conversation, but I also think it's good to create intentions on the part of the dream characters such as: you ask "What message do you have for me?" and the you really expect and believe that the DC will tell you without coming up with the specifics of what they will say.

What's difficult is the awkward silence after becoming lucid and realizing that you have been sitting with people and having a conversation. I start getting really self-conscious and uncomfortable. Of course we can always say "but it's just a dream, don't sweat it" but I want to keep everything as real as possible so I try to treat the dreams just as waking life. They are so real and it helps to keep them real.

I see what you mean now. I've been trying to do that too. Actually...everything you've said here is exactly what I've been thinking when I wanna talk to a dream character :lol: . Except I've never actually succeeded in getting into a conversation with a DC.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Jul 2013 15:08

Sorry you haven't had a conversation yet, but keep trying. They do sometimes talk.

I just had some success this morning :D

Did a WILD this morning and was able to get lucid pretty easily. I gave myself a little talk before the dream so I would be prepared to meet dream characters and stay calm, ask questions, etc. So I'm walking down this trail in back of a farm and walked up from the trail toward a group of buildings. I came out of the driveway of one of the buildings which I think was an old barn that was half torn down. When I came to the road at end of the short driveway there was a group of DCs standing there staring at me as if they were mad that I had been on their property. Walked up to one of the nicer looking DCs and said. "I'm wondering if you could tell me where this place is, I'm lost right now." Decided I wasn't going to be shy and then just put my arm around the DC and said, "Could you just show me how to get back home?" We just started off down the road together. It felt really good to be walking with our arms around each other. The DC was caring and wanted to help (also happened to be attractive which didn't hurt). So we are walking along and I said "Oh while we're walking along, I was wondering if you could share some of the secrets of life with me." Said it in a really joking way as if I wasn't really serious. The DC smiles and starts talking about how a friend deals with being self-employed and getting through periods with not much work. It was pretty much basic information for me, also self-employed. Tried to keep the conversation going but the DC's face just started fading away until it was gone. It's a start anyway, and it felt really good and the DC seemed willing to talk.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Jul 2013 03:27

I've thought about this and want to try it. But I have to keep in mind that my questions must be cause and effect related. So if I ask a yes or no question, I have a followup for the 'yes' question and a followup for the 'no' question. And maybe a followup for that 3rd unexpected response which we can never expect. (Or I'll just wing it from there.)

So first I will find someone who admits they know it is a dream, like my other post in the 'conversation starting post' of yours. Yes or No until I find one.

Then I will ask, "Do you know who I am?"
If YES: "Do you remember the last time we met?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Tell me about it!"
.....IF NO: "Then how do you know me?"
If NO: "Do you know ANYBODY at all?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Who are they and tell me about them."(they may describe ME!)
.....IF NO: "How did you get here and who's dreaming this?" (they may describe ME!)

I tried making it more complex, but it would be hard to remember anyway. My ultimate goal would be to formulate a 'question tree' like this were it always leads to the same result: They DO know me after all and we share the same mind and there is no other logical way around it without me catching them in a lie that contradicts themselves. (But it's so hard to argue with dream characters, I know, and they always seem to win!)

P.S. Most times now that I think about it, when I talk to DC's the dream can start becoming chaotic visually and isn't as 'real' anymore with all your senses intact. Which is something you are concerned with, but for some reason it is hard to do both. I think it's because talking requires a lot of conscious thought and I think that conflicts with the subconscious dream world and is why the dream can 'break down' at times, but the conversations are great even if you lose some of your senses. I'm sure some can master both, but I find it hard. I also don't mind a LD that isn't true to life either. That's just me and my theory.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Aug 2013 00:07

HAGART wrote:I've thought about this and want to try it. But I have to keep in mind that my questions must be cause and effect related. So if I ask a yes or no question, I have a followup for the 'yes' question and a followup for the 'no' question. And maybe a followup for that 3rd unexpected response which we can never expect. (Or I'll just wing it from there.)

So first I will find someone who admits they know it is a dream, like my other post in the 'conversation starting post' of yours. Yes or No until I find one.

Then I will ask, "Do you know who I am?"
If YES: "Do you remember the last time we met?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Tell me about it!"
.....IF NO: "Then how do you know me?"
If NO: "Do you know ANYBODY at all?" Y/N
.....IF YES: "Who are they and tell me about them."(they may describe ME!)
.....IF NO: "How did you get here and who's dreaming this?" (they may describe ME!)

I tried making it more complex, but it would be hard to remember anyway. My ultimate goal would be to formulate a 'question tree' like this were it always leads to the same result: They DO know me after all and we share the same mind and there is no other logical way around it without me catching them in a lie that contradicts themselves. (But it's so hard to argue with dream characters, I know, and they always seem to win!)

P.S. Most times now that I think about it, when I talk to DC's the dream can start becoming chaotic visually and isn't as 'real' anymore with all your senses intact. Which is something you are concerned with, but for some reason it is hard to do both. I think it's because talking requires a lot of conscious thought and I think that conflicts with the subconscious dream world and is why the dream can 'break down' at times, but the conversations are great even if you lose some of your senses. I'm sure some can master both, but I find it hard. I also don't mind a LD that isn't true to life either. That's just me and my theory.

That still sounds complex if you are trying to get all those questions in a set order of asking. I try to keep things simple "Have we met before?". This hopefully will not only invoke a yes or no response but could encourage the DC to clarify the situation too.

Im trying thou to also get in the habit of asking a set lot of questions to question a DC about themselves eg "What's your name?" "Where are we?" "What is your job?" "Where do you live?" Are my 4 questions in my investigation of my DCs. (Im trying to gather profiles on my various DCs to hopefully find reoccuring ones, its hard thou to remember full names and places given as the words are often unusual, sometimes foreign words, so I unfortuately usually have to wake myself up when it gets to the point of info overload eg one strange foreign word, so I dont forget and have them exactly what was said right).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Aug 2013 01:09

Remember that fish I was going to fry? (And you had a dirty mind :oops: )
Well, this is THAT FISH!

I actually do have it rehearsed and it did take a few days and I had to keep looking up this post again until I committed it to memory. Instead of asking trivial questions, I am trying to test their psychological awareness in the dream.

I only tried it once, and the DC answered "NO" to everything. I got in an argument and asked how did they get here? Do you know where you are? Who is your boss? (That last one came because it just made sense in my dream logic)

But they were not aware it was a dream, and that changes everything. If they know it is a dream, they are much, much different.

It's not over yet and I won't stop until this fish gets fried. What I do with it after I don't know... :oops: Probably eat it with some tartar sauce..... (Inside joke from another post everybody.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 15 Aug 2013 02:29

HAGART wrote:It's not over yet and I won't stop until this fish gets fried. What I do with it after I don't know... :oops: Probably eat it with some tartar sauce..... (Inside joke from another post everybody.)

:lol: *wipes tear out of eye*
Well said.

Return to “Dream Characters”