sleep deprivation, need help please

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Dreamer555

sleep deprivation, need help please

Postby Dreamer555 » 04 May 2013 03:58

Hi, I just found this forum and am hoping someone has some advice.

I have been having nightmares my whole life, long story short I was severely abused growing up, started having nightmares at a very young age and they have continued throughout my adulthood despite my "waking" life gradually getting better. I have PTSD, my therapist thinks I may have a nightmare disorder as well. I do not sleep well in general, having the nightmares every night, sometimes they get really severe, then get better and I sleep a little better. Recently the nightmares have been worse again and I keep waking up through the night, then when I get up in the morning it feels like I haven't rested.

I have started to have signs of sleep deprivation and am having trouble functioning through the day. I know I'm sleeping during the night since I dream, but we think because of the adrenaline response and the frequent waking I am not getting the rest I need.

I went to see my psychiatrist who prescribed Prazosin, a blood pressure medication that has been used to treat severe nightmares in those with PTSD, but because I already have low blood pressure I was unable to tolerate it.

I am desperate to get sound sleep, my life is at a standstill right now because I am so tired. My therapist and I discussed other therapies to try, I see her again this Monday, we also want to have me try lucid dreaming. I plan to review the information on this website, it looks very helpful. In the meantime if anyone here has had any success dealing with a similar situation, I would appreciate any advice, thank you so much!

Summerlander

Re: sleep deprivation, need help please

Postby Summerlander » 06 May 2013 01:18

I believe lucid dreaming can help you deal with deap-seated issues and help you to self-integrate. You may even find the root of your PTSD and nightmares (your eatly life trauma I presume) and be able to deal with mental elements accordingly.

Lucid dreaming can also alter your mood in a positive way. It would also behove you to become lucid during one of your nightmares and face what you fear. Try to understand it and lay it to rest.

By all means take heed of medical advice and continue to consume anything that is prescribed for your condition. Just know that lucid dreaming can be a great boon, which, if applied effectively, can gradually begin to influence not only your psychology, but your physiology too.

I hope this helps. Sorry I can't provide any more. I feel for you. Good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Dreamer555

Postby Dreamer555 » 06 May 2013 06:01

Thank you for for your help, my therapist and I have discussed lucid dreaming and I'm going to be working on learning the techniques, I am also trying another med to try to get immediate help and are looking into other medical reasons why I am not getting rest. Hopefully I'll start getting sound sleep soon!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 May 2013 10:24

Yes, hopefully!

Here's the literature I recommend besides Rebecca's "The Art of Lucid Dreaming":

"Lucid Dreaming" and "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge.

"The Phase - A Practical Guidebook" by Michael Raduga

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 May 2013 10:43

I personally think you should try to do some things about it before you try lucid dreaming thou lucid dreaming could be helpful too. Lucid dreaming seems so real (your psych may not realise just how real lucid dreaming seems when you are in one, your emotions will be intensified etc). If your nightmares are rather bad, you may not be able to deal with them throu lucid dreaming and Id be worried they could make your PTSD worst (by too strong an exposure to things).

I strongly suggest you try visualisation and meditation methods first. Whatever you dream. The next morning spend some time getting into a very relaxed state and then try to relive it but when you do, try to change the things which you didnt like in your dream (if you do this while you are fully awake you will be able to work to change it easier then if you are in a LD and only partly awake and not thinkng well where your subconsciousness may dominate your waking self).

I like to do what I call subpersonality work... get in a relaxed state. Do some deep breathing but without strain, if you place your hands on your abdomen you should feel it raising and falling. Breath in throu nose and out throu your mouth.. slow deep breathing (check your breath time to time to check you are still doing this esp if you start to get emotional.. warning this can really bring emotions to the surface to clear). Allow yourself to slowly feel the negative feeling you feel inside and ask it to come forth to you as a character, the part of you who feels it (the character is the image your subconsciousness puts to what you feel). Imagine talking to this character and telling it you love it and comfort it. Tell it it doesnt need to fear anymore.

You can do this with your inner child one can say.. hold it and love it and tell it you are there for it. Be like a loving parent or a big sister or brother to your inner child. Tell it the things it needs to hear to feel safe. If you havent done anything like this, this may be far easier for you to do then trying to deal with things in a LD. Try this more gentle approach to helping yourself first. You should find that your character will change and alter as it let's go of things.

best luck
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

BAK777

Postby BAK777 » 21 Jul 2013 04:22

Like everybody else in this world I too was on the receiving end of my nightmares. Also after playing around with lucid and psychic dreams I got 2 yrs of jumping out of bed once a night 2 to 3 times a week and not knowing why, I'll I knew is that I was scared as hell. Immediately after I found the cure things change for the better,Now I'm the victor...the ass kicker in my nightmares, that is to say AFTER I become scared in them I somehow develop a different attitude and turn the tables on the players and what a sob I can be to them. If your still having problems I'll give you the short answer, and If I'm up to the writing I'll give you the back story as well.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 25 Aug 2013 06:47

First things first, before you try anything, go for a phyiscal, check specifically for any heart conditions. While most nightmares can't hurt you, the shock could put you in cardiac arrest. Second use any means of inducing lucid dreams, this can range from binaural beats, to consuming certain foods and drinks like apple juice or popcorn. Third induce your sleep. Be it through natural ways such as warm milk, soothing music. Or some more unorthodox ways such as taking Melatonin. Last but not least no matter how scary what you are up against is, face it. Fear is what powers these nightmares, facing that fear takes it's power away.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 24 Sep 2013 01:37

I recommend these good sources of information about the treatment of PTSD and sleep problems -

Three articles - Google -

- "An Interview With Barry Krakow, M.D., On PTSD and Sleep" - www.sevencounties.org
Part of this discussion provides information about Image Rehearsal Therapy for dealing with nightmares.

- "Sound Sleep, Sound Mind - With Barry Krakow, M.D." (PDF) - www.shrinkrapradio.com

- "Nightmares And What To Do About Them : A Parents Guide To Children's Bad Dreams (Also useful for adults)" www.creativedreaming.org
A central suggestion in this article for learning to take control of nightmares is - "In the drowsy period before you fall asleep, picture your usual dream scenario. Now picture it changing for the better."

- YouTube video - "Belleruth Naparstek On PTSD" - episode 1/7

- Book "Invisible Heroes : Survivors Of Trauma And How They Heal" by Belleruth Naparstek

- Book - "Getting Past Your Past : Take Control Of Your Life With Self-Help Techniques From EMDR Therapy" by Francine Shapiro

- (For veterans dealing with PTSD)
- Book - "Wounds Of War" by Edward Tick

I hope some of this information will help you sleep better.
Best Wishes.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 24 Sep 2013 02:00

- Correction to my previous reply - regarding sources of information about treatment of PTSD and sleep problems - The correct title to the last book in the list should be -

"War And The Soul : Healing Our Nation's Veterans From Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" by Edward Tick

jasmine2

Nestpillmart

Postby Nestpillmart » 21 Feb 2015 13:31

lack of exercise and dietary issues lead to high vitamin requirement by the body. Which actually imbalances the physical and mental nutritional needs this actually causing insomnia or nighters for you. so you should check with proper diet and exercise to maintain this balance.
for more informaton about vitamin or diet plan you can visit our website : buy vitamins tablet online

Return to “Sleep Disorders”