How English should be spelled...

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
LCDAnthony

How English should be spelled...

Postby LCDAnthony » 16 Jul 2013 04:52

Not many people are linguistic like I am but.. I've thought... what if we changed the way we spelled? It would make learning and reading a lot easier.
Here is how the vowels sounds would be made..
A - Ah
Ä - (a in apple)
Á - au (ow in how)
Å - (oo sound in cool)
Æ - ai (i in sight)
E - eh (e in fetch)
É - ei (ay in day)
I - (i in -ing)
O - oh (o in cold)
Ô - (oo in look)
U - ew (oo sound in shoot)
Û - (uh sound in but)
Y - (i sound in sick)

Now for the constanents
Þ - th (th sound thorn)
Ð/ð - th (lisp like sound of th like at the end of fifth)
G - hard g (like in good)
Gj - (g sound like in drink)
Jg - (j sound as in french word "jeu")
K - (c is never used for the k sound, so cool would be kool)
S - (s sound always like s in sight)
Z - (z in zebra)
J - (ya sound like ya but.. ja.)

Q isnt used

Put that all together and you get something that looks like this
(Random message btw)

Þys yz wût yt wud lôk læk. Ju kud comper yt tu é nûmbur ûv lénguegjez. Æ biliv þys yz há inglysh shud bi spelt. Yt wud mék lurning iziur end mék riding iziur. Þo yt wud bi hard tu mék pipol þät spel læk normol inglysh. So wyþ át furþur ûdu, Æ gyv ju... Rivæzd Madurn Inglysh!

What do you think? Can you decode it? Is it cool? :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by LCDAnthony on 24 Jul 2013 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

DreamerMan99

Re: How English should be spelled...

Postby DreamerMan99 » 16 Jul 2013 04:58

LCDAnthony wrote:Not many people are linguistic like I am but.. I've thought... what if we changed the way we spelled? It would make learning and reading a lot easier.
Here is how the vowels sounds would be made..
A - Ah
Ä - (a in apple)
Á - au (ow in how)
Å - (oo sound in cool)
Æ - ai (i in sight)
E - eh (e in fetch)
É - ei (ay in day)
I - (i in -ing)
O - oh (o in cold)
Ô - (oo in look)
U - ew (oo sound in shoot)
Û - (uh sound in but)
Y - (i sound in sick)

Now for the constanents
Þ - th (th sound thorn)
Ð/ð - th (lisp like sound of th like at the end of fifth)
G - hard g (like in good)
Gj - (g sound like in drink)
Jg - (j sound as in french word "jeu")
K - (c is never used for the k sound, so cool would be kool)
S - (s sound always like s in sight)
Z - (z in zebra)
J - (ya sound like ya but.. ja.)

Q isnt used

Put that all together and you get something that looks like this
(Random message btw)

Þys yz wût yt wud lôk læk. Ju kud comper yt tu é nûmbur ûv lénguegjez. Æ biliv þys yz há inglysh shud bi spelt. Yt wud mék lurning iziur end mék riding iziur. Þo yt wud bi hard tu mèk pipol þät spel læk normol inglysh. So wyþ át furþur ûdu, Æ gyv ju... Rivæzd Madurn Inglysh!

What do you think? Can you decode it? Is it cool? :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This is what it would look like. I believe this is how english should be spelt. It would make learning english and reading easier. Though, it would be hard to make people spell like normal english. So, without further ado i give you... Revised modern english!

Did this without looking at the key so i might have messed up. :3

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 16 Jul 2013 05:18

Nice!

Do you think it would be easy to learn? I really do think this is how English should be spelled.
And do you like it? :P

I know the Cyrillic alphabet, the Anglo-Saxon Runic alphabet.. and more to come haha

And if you didn't even use the key, I presume you might already have some sort of knowledge in some languages right?
And yes! That is right!

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 19 Jul 2013 03:02

Actually, no! Just english and spanish up to 8th grade lvl! Haha!

Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 19 Jul 2013 04:41

Oh wow! Is English your native I take it? Just not to be confused. You said English and Spanish up to 8th grade level. Haha

I speak English (native), Spanish, French (Just enough to converse a bit), and after I master Spanish I'm gonna learn Norwegian or Icelandic.

I really love languages. Like when I say really... I mean obsession. I want to at least speak 10+ languages.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 19 Jul 2013 06:21

Thats awesome! My dads friend is a linguist who fluently speaks 27 languages. He is swedish, and teaches english in china. Crazy right? He flew to america and stayed with us a day during vacation and brought swedish cakes. Anyway, back to the point im trying to make - A sweed teaching english to chinese! Crazy!!!

Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 19 Jul 2013 21:52

Crazy! Linguists are cool. He would be called, in the linguistic community, a Hyper-Polyglot.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Jul 2013 23:13

Þer yz wÛn wrd Æ dydnt get: mèk

Ok back to 'normal english')
(Shouldn't the accent on the E be heading up on 'mek'?)

It's amazing how fast I could pick it up. English is a very popular language, but it is so bizarre! There are so many useless letters. C can be replaced by K and S and then just make a new letter for the CH sound! And don't get me started on silent H's and K's like Ghost Knife!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 24 Jul 2013 04:06

That was a mistake actually! It was supposed to be an acute accent but I was using my phone and I was rushing. Thanks for pointing out!
I was also thinking.. That could be a little confusing. What if I changed "é" to just be "ei"?

And yes. The thing I like about it being spelled phonetically would make learning easier. The only problem is that, this is more of the American/Canadian accent spelled way. UK has different ways of pronouncing things and therefore could possibly be spelled different. That's the only flaw.

It is quite easy to pick up on too!
I also ran into some errors myself. More flaws. Words that sound the same. Like two, to and too. I decided what if we double over the vowels of the "u" and make to and too the same thing, just a context learning process. So Two = Tuu (Two u's, makes since right? :D) and to/too = tu.

Then theres (another example) Read (to read), Reed, red and read.
For the verd, to read, "Rid" is good. A reed for an instrument like a saxophone can be doubled over, so "Riid". Red can be.. red, and read can be Redd. (I did two d's so learn "reed" won't be confusing)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Jul 2013 04:49

I wonder if there are so many words that we ran out of pronunciations and must use different letters? Read vs Reed? Can't we come up with a new way to pronounce a new word instead of just changing a letter?!?! Did someone just get bored along the line?!??!

LCDAnthony wrote:The only problem is that, this is more of the American/Canadian accent spelled way. UK has different ways of pronouncing things and therefore could possibly be spelled different. That's the only flaw.

I ran into that problem. I wanted to use the word, "and", but couldn't find the right sound. Now I realize (or is it realise?) that it was there all along and "and", would be spelled, "and" no matter what. But if I were British it would be "Änd". And imagine if you were from Boston, or New Orleans?!??!? How would they spell things phonetically?!?!??!

I am Canadian, (oot, and aboot and around the hoose), but went to an American school system and still like to spell 'CENTER' and 'COLOR' the American way and 'FLAVOUR' and 'ARMOUR' the Canadian way. And 'realize' with a ZED. YES WE SAY ZED IN CANADA! NOT ZEEEE!

LOL! :lol: Good laugh!
P.S. the two 'actual' words underlined red for misspelling are 'realise' and 'flavour'. You know what side the spell checker is on! :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Off-Topic”