Reality Checks and Dream Signs

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TaoTeRazz

Re: Reality Checks and Dream Signs

Postby TaoTeRazz » 13 Dec 2011 17:02

Hey Guys,

How's it goin today. Well Peter, Since I havn't heard anything to the contrary, I'm happy to share my experience to help the cause. Again, if one is looking to increase their proficiency of cultivating lucidity withing the dream environment from happen circumstance to be, at will, then one should let go of practicing the techniques associated with MILD's and DILD's and here's why....

...oh, and I do apologize in advance for the length however, in the interest of being accurate and somewhat complete....

Based upon my experience, the reasons why I say that one can’t just talk themselves into lucid dreams or use “reality” checking and dream sign recognition as an effective way to cultivate lucidity within the dreamscape, is based upon the idea that these methods are founded upon an inaccurate understanding of the nature of Mind and what I call, The Process.
First, for me, I don’t recognize two separate entities of mind that are commonly called the, “Conscious Mind” and the, Subconscious Mind.” (If even acknowledged at all actually.) Further, and perhaps the greatest fallacy that MILDs and DILDs are built upon is that a “conscious mind” is able to influence a “subconscious mind.” This could not be any further away from actuality.
Over the years of exploration I have come to understand that, to each and every physical body, there is only one Local Mind yet this Mind has separate Aspects and these Aspects have their own Function and Purpose. I found it to be more accurate to state that there is Body or Relative aspect of Mind (conscious mind) and a Meta aspect of Mind (subconscious mind) with no separation or gap between the two aspects.
The Function of the Relative aspect of Mind is solely for navigating a physical, relative environment with reasoning, rationalizing, calculations and discernments and that’s it, really. It allows the physical body to be relatively Attentive in any given moment. The primary Purpose of the Relative Mind is to provide the means to decide what is or is not positive or beneficial in any given moment (based upon the parameters or Imprints within Meta Mind) i.e. what cloths to wear based on the weather, what food to eat or how to re-act and what emotions to express based upon any given situation.
As one were to shift their Attention along the frequency of mind from relative Awareness toward non-physical Awareness or what is Ultimate Reality, one would first pass through a sort of veil or boundary. This boundary, commonly called the Critical Faculty, gives definition of the two aspects of mind and actually protects who you are (in any given moment and it is this protection ‘mechanism’ that prevents your relative thoughts and experiences to arbitrarily alter the imprints within Meta Mind Awareness. It is in fact the Critical Faculty that is responsible for providing you your personality.
When one were to bypass this boundary, one would find themselves within the Meta aspect of Mind. Within this space of Awareness, is everything that an individual Is in any given moment - how one walks, how one talks, how one feels, what one eats, how the body grows and so on, and so on, and so on…. the contents of ones personality. The purpose of the Meta Mind is to give the ‘illusion’ of Individuality. It’s sole Function is to bring into Physical Realization that which your Relative Mind has decided to experience. In fact, I would tell you that all that one has’ all that one experiences; all of one’s relationships; pleasant or unpleasant, is all ‘constructed’ and provided by one’s own Meta aspect of Mind. (Consider the implications of this last statement!)
Here, there is no reason, no rationale, no calculations, no discernments, no judgments or right or wrong, good or bad etc. Here it is strictly literal.
Beyond the Meta aspect of Mind there is yet another veil that one is able to pass through into what is Transpersonal Awareness within Ultimate Reality, which is the Mind of your Spiritual Aspect but that’s another story.
Ok, so now back to the body. The Brain, in concert with the Body simply a receiver that translates Mind and thus, by it self is unable to tell the difference between a relative physical action or experience and a Mind experience. An experiment with sexual arousal will demonstrate this point. One merely need to imagine oneself in a sexual situation and, the brain, not knowing the difference, will translate this Mind activity (thought and imagination) and your body will express it. This is part of the nature of the Body/Mind Relationship and is the crux of why MILDs and DILDs are ineffective – because without the faculty Attention, your brain cannot tell the difference between a physical experience and a dream experience. During the sleep process, it is natural to simply let go of ones Attention. If the faculty of Attention is not held onto, at best, you will only be able to recall your dreamscapes experiences After the fact.
Yes, one can increase the likelihood of experiencing lucid dreams via intention associated with MILD and DILD techniques however, in my view, that's about it. For me, it's all about strengthening and holding onto the Faculty of Attention with a WILD technique. I'll post mine over in the "Techniques" section.

TTR
Nosce te Ipsum

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Dec 2011 20:26

great post and good start so I hope you have more to follow. I agree and its profound that our personality is a simulation in a virtual reality world. Its all a method to interact with where we are are here and now. No debate on the thread of you post. I find reality checks are not consistant for me and that working on a WILD is the best way. There are many clues on going to sleep or even relaxing that make it easier to slip into a LD with a WILD.
I have just got a ZEO sleep monitor and its becoming a valuable tool, I can relax for a nap or on going to bed and when I get on the edge of what I call the void or feel the change in my mind it shows a REM state. This is what I have always suspected and now can confirm it ( if tool is accurate), these REM states can occur at the beginning of the night or at anytime I get to relax.

I feel there are many parts to our mind but it is all our mind and we are not capable of understanding at that moment. Its like space is expanding and we cant grasp what it is expanding into, so its that we are not capable of understanding until we learn more and change our viewpoint.
Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

thomas

Postby thomas » 13 Dec 2011 20:53

Hello - I love a thought-provoking discussion. This is a good one. Really interesting stuff. TTR - I agree with a lot that you have stated. Some of it I will do some thinking about. Keep it coming -

Thomas

TaoTeRazz

Postby TaoTeRazz » 14 Dec 2011 20:31

Hey,

Thanks Peter, Thanks Thomas. I appreciate that. And for your viewing pleasure, I did post (a rather long one) the methodology and some techniques I used. Enjoy

TTR
Nosce te Ipsum

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Dec 2011 06:40

I think with reality checks it's best to look at your dreams and focus on the reccuring themes. For example, I can check clocks or light switches all I want in waking reality, but I can't remember the last time I saw either one in a dream so it doesn't help me much. But I am often driving a vehicle in a dream so everytime I get in the car and also while driving I do reality checks. Good chance I'll be in dream. I went lucid after driving a truck and realizing I was dreaming. Some of the dream signs for me are getting frustrating because things keep malfunctioning (this is a common one) or I can't find something or something happens that seems strange. These things happen in waking life too, so I ask myself if I am dreaming. Just asking yourself during a dream is often enough to trigger lucidity. It has worked for me. Good luck.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”